Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Creaking driver's seat runners

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2002, 09:10 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody experienced unusual movement on seat runners? Every now and then, there is a very small amount of movement of the seat, and I hear a creaking which sounds rather like grinding metal.It's almost as if there is something broken i.e. sheared mounting bolt or similar.(on a MY98 wagon).
I'm hardly a heavy weight and so I'm sure it not down to the load!

I've had a good look around but can't see anything obvious.Don't really want to remove the seat if I can help it.

Any idseas?
Steve
Old 11 November 2002, 10:21 AM
CELL
Scooby Regular

No use to you at all, but i have the same on my 96 UK turbo. Im not sure if its the seat springs though it only happens when i am cornering to the right.

I'll keep an eye out on here for answers
Old 11 November 2002, 10:19 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve,

I've had various probs over the years with cars by not being a featherweight myself

either you're cracking / shearing one of the runner mounts through fatigue (cyclic loading over a period of time) which would either show as a lurch when going round a corner or it can be felt when checking seat for movement when you aren't sat in it, or

you're wearing away the ball bearings in the runners which lets the seat come a bit freer - does it feel as though it moves slightly and then comes to a stop - if it feels as though you're twisting in your seat when you touch the brakes it's prolly your ***** that are wearing out one one side or both

if it's the mounts then it's either a welding up job provided they can't be replaced (prolly welded to floorpan)

if it's the runner *****, it's time for some new runners - should be able to get a set of runners without a complete seat. if you're that tight fisted, you could try replaceing the ball bearings

last car I had b4 scoob, I had to weld rear tube up that goes around seat base as I'd split it through

I can be sad when I want to be with explanations... (or should that be ****...)

Apple
Old 11 November 2002, 11:52 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

If it is some problem with fatigue or the like, then I'll be speaking to my 'friendly'Subaru dealer.The car is only a '98 and has done 45K.As it's under extended warranty, I'd hope this kind of thing may be covered.
No doubt, there will be some excuse awaiting me!(oh, they all do that, sir. or similar)

Steve