Defi link or defi advanced

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2021, 12:21 AM
Shaqs77
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defi link or defi advanced

Hi guys. In a bit of a pickle.

I have currently a defi link boost gauge sat on my steering column. I have an opportunity to buy a set of defi advance gauges ( water temp, oil pressure and oil temp).

my question is is it worth getting the advanced gauges or hold out and wait for a set of defi link gauges to come along and compliment my existing boost link gauge.

cheers
Old 11 November 2021, 08:09 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

deffis looks nice in the centre pod,im not a fan of the ones on steering column or A pillar,in the other hand i have some bits stick in air wents😂
i have oil temp,boost and oil pressure,
think i will avoid buying water temp gauge,its in cluster anyway

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 11 November 2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12 November 2021, 07:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Got boost, o/p, oil temp, guel pressure and water temp.
You'd be surprised at how poor the stock eater temp gauge is compared to the defi.
And the furl pressure gauge, set to show how far below boost the fuel pressure is, has saved my engine at least once.
My KnockLink LED's are mounted round the f/p gauge at eye level.
The following users liked this post:
Old 17 November 2021, 07:20 PM
Samu81
Scooby Newbie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd buy the Link ones. That gives you nice and easy opportunity to add more gauges if needed. I have 5 gauges linked via it, originally there was only 3. The so called "chain connection" (or such) is really easy way to add em up. Also being able to record something for .. 3 min? I used the record option for example when tested my car 100 -> 200km/h accelerations, quarter mile runs, just to be sure IF something would have happened.

Defi Link

Old 03 December 2021, 07:44 PM
Shaqs77
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the posts guys. bit the bullet and bought the gauges.

where did you guys plumb the sensors in. as far as I understand, above cylinder 3 there is a bung for the oil sensors.

https://rspec.co.uk/gauge-adaptors-s...npt-p-437.html

did you guys purchase something like this for the oil temp and pressure sensors??

in regards to the water temp. where did you guys fit this sensor?

looking to fit 3 gauges in the triple cluster pod above the clock and the remaining gauge on the a pillar
Old 03 December 2021, 08:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Been a while since I did mine, but here's my thoughts.
You've bought probably the best gauges, so fit 'em right.

Oil pressure: fit into the existing oil pressure switch tappings. With a gauge, the switch is redundant.

Oil temperature: fit into the tappings on top of No3 cylinder. It needs an adaptor that looks like a large nut with a threaded outside. eBay.
Don't use an adaptor like the one you showed, but you CAN use that to fit the pressure sender if you really want the op switch.
The blanking plug needs a good quality long 8mm Allen key, preferably NOT ball ended.

Water temp: mines in the OE tappings for the OE gauge. Since i couldn't get on with out the OE temp gauge, (it showed cold all the time), I've refitted it into an adaptor inserted in the top hose. The Defi gets the OE tappings as that's the prime position.

Do ensure a decent earth.

Last edited by alcazar; 03 December 2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03 December 2021, 10:41 PM
Shaqs77
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar

Oil pressure: fit into the existing oil pressure switch tappings. With a gauge, the switch is redundant.

Oil temperature: fit into the tappings on top of No3 cylinder. It needs an adaptor that looks like a large nut with a threaded outside. eBay.
Don't use an adaptor like the one you showed, but you CAN use that to fit the pressure sender if you really want the op switch.
The blanking plug needs a good quality long 8mm Allen key, preferably NOT ball ended.

Water temp: mines in the OE tappings for the OE gauge. Since i couldn't get on with out the OE temp gauge, (it showed cold all the time), I've refitted it into an adaptor inserted in the top hose. The Defi gets the OE tappings as that's the prime position.

thanks for the reply.

1. if I remove the existing oe oil pressure switch will I not get a fault code? im assuming I just leave the existing loom there.
2. that threaded nut you mentioned. in that link I posted up. I can see a nut on there, is that what you mean? they sell that separately too
Old 04 December 2021, 04:59 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Got boost, o/p, oil temp, guel pressure and water temp.
You'd be surprised at how poor the stock eater temp gauge is compared to the defi.
And the furl pressure gauge, set to show how far below boost the fuel pressure is, has saved my engine at least once.
My KnockLink LED's are mounted round the f/p gauge at eye level.
🤣if it does not work at all is really poor than i agree
other gauges do not exist on dashboard thats why we fit aftermarker ones
Old 04 December 2021, 08:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaqs77
thanks for the reply.

1. if I remove the existing oe oil pressure switch will I not get a fault code? im assuming I just leave the existing loom there.
2. that threaded nut you mentioned. in that link I posted up. I can see a nut on there, is that what you mean? they sell that separately too
I didn't get a fault code but mine's a classic.
Yes that nut thingy, adaptor.
There was also an unused nipple on the intake manifold with a rubber cover.
The cover came off, the boost gauge sensor went on.
Old 05 December 2021, 06:37 PM
Samu81
Scooby Newbie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I put the oil temp sensor at the very ... how I'd say it, "coldest" place it can measure oil temp, at the oil pan. Drill a hole for it to the "oil drain plug" and inserted it.
Old 14 December 2021, 10:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

But the tappings above cylinder 3 are there for a reason: that cylinder is known to run hottest.
See, the oil temperature isn't just so you can wait until it warms sufficient to give it some beans, it's also above that cylinder yo give you warning that that particular cylinder is running too hot, so back off.
In the sump plug it can't do that.