Question about fitting OMP 4 point harness.. eye bolts size

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2020, 01:26 AM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question about fitting OMP 4 point harness.. eye bolts size

Car.. 2002 subaru impreza wrx wagon

Hi guys. I picked up a harness bar and a 4 point harness for my car. The Tegiwa harness bar went in fine.. And the top two straps of the harness simply wrap round it (secured as per manual)..

however I'm hitting a stumbling block with how to mount the bottom two.. now it looks like they connect to eye bolts.. but the eye bolts I got with the harnesses don't seem to fit.. I think they are a UNF size and the threaded part doesn't fit in any seatbelt holes.

my plan was to remove the two rear 14mm bolts holding the seat in place and put eye bolts in there.. then each strap connects to the appropriate side.. again tho the eye bolts don't thread in.. too big.

so I guess my question is has anyone fitted them and what size eye bolts should I get? Or does anyone have any suggestions on something else to use?

ta
ant

Old 13 April 2020, 09:18 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Hi guys anyone got any advice for what size to get? I initially thought M8 then a friend said that's 10mm so too small. The unf size doesn't fit In the rear holes that mount the seat rail.
Old 13 April 2020, 11:29 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Take out the existing bolt and measure the diameter + pitch.
Old 14 April 2020, 09:01 AM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd have thought the seat mounting bolt wouldn't be strong enough for a 4 point harness, I know the seat mounting bolts are a different pitch to a standard metric bolt as had to replace one of the captive bolts on mine when it came away from the box section at the front.

This may be of some help:
https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-1...ng-points.html

Assume the harnesses came from a reputable dealer and not ebay/Wish/AliBaba as the Chinese copies aren't safe in a pushchair let alone in a car.
Old 09 December 2020, 12:46 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the harness bars worth much? I've got one in my car and will be removing it once back seats go back in.
Actually, yes very similar to this
https://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa...guide-bar.html

Last edited by mgcvk; 09 December 2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09 December 2020, 01:13 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
Are the harness bars worth much? I've got one in my car and will be removing it once back seats go back in.
Actually, yes very similar to this
https://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa...guide-bar.html
couldnt say tbh.. i know what i paid for the genuine tegiwa one and its superb quality overall. I guess theyre worth somewhere between what you think.. what someone is willing to pay and if you can both accept a haggle lol.

to add i got mine installed with the OMP and its fantastic fun. I still have my oem seatbelt as i fitted a slightly longer bolt at the bottom and its been rock solid. For fast road driving tho the harnesses give so much more driver feel of the car.
not had much chance to test them yet tho thanks to the butt plug that has been covid
Old 22 December 2020, 03:02 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath
couldnt say tbh.. i know what i paid for the genuine tegiwa one and its superb quality overall. I guess theyre worth somewhere between what you think.. what someone is willing to pay and if you can both accept a haggle lol.

to add i got mine installed with the OMP and its fantastic fun. I still have my oem seatbelt as i fitted a slightly longer bolt at the bottom and its been rock solid. For fast road driving tho the harnesses give so much more driver feel of the car.
not had much chance to test them yet tho thanks to the butt plug that has been covid

I have just taken my harness bar out. I bought the car with it in. The allen/hex bolts for the top connection in to the seatbelt seem to be oversized to allow for the bar bracket. Do you know the size of the standard bolts as I will have to replace. Ta.
Old 22 December 2020, 06:48 PM
anthonymcgrath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
I have just taken my harness bar out. I bought the car with it in. The allen/hex bolts for the top connection in to the seatbelt seem to be oversized to allow for the bar bracket. Do you know the size of the standard bolts as I will have to replace. Ta.
ive still got my oem ones I'll double check them for you tomo morn while i do my pollen filter
Old 22 December 2020, 08:18 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Great, thanks!