Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change of job really make that much difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2014, 06:39 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Change of job really make that much difference?

I phoned direct line this morning, as my renewal is due at the beginning of next month, and I had not yet received my new premium through the post, and I needed to speak to them about a change of profession.

Having done an online quote with them at the weekend, my jaw nearly hit the floor when they told me my renewal over the phone, £684.44
This included ncb protection at £72.08
Motor legal at £26.50
Hire car + at £33.92

Online quote, with none of the extras, £241.68
I added motor legal protection at the extra figure as above, and I added ncb protection as well, although the online figure for that was £23.32, strangely.
So a total of £291.50

I knocked the annual mileage down from 10k to 7k a year, as that was what our last mot said we had been doing for the last few years, and changed my job from courier (van) to handyman.
Can this change of job really amount to a near £400 reduction on my premium?
Old 13 March 2014, 01:41 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could do. I work in both accountancy and surveying, both involving sitting behind a desk looking at a computer all day, yet changing to surveying knocked £50-£100 off my quotes.
Old 13 March 2014, 01:53 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

I have just had exatly the same with Privilege... 484 renewal 261 online...with the same company...

rang them an was advised do not renew and tae the new policy out on line... crazy....
Old 13 March 2014, 02:43 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Direct line just matched the quote that I got online for my renewal, didn't have to faff about with cancelling auto renewal and taking out new policy.
Thing that pees me off, last year they phoned my wife around renewal time, saying they could probably get her a better deal, but do they ever do that with me!
Old 14 March 2014, 12:10 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

It just makes me laugh, now that I am not driving hundreds of miles a week in a company vehicle, being used to what dangers may lie ahead on the local roads, and being in a sort of driving 'zone' as I am now driving far less frequently, I suddenly appear to have become almost a third less likely to have a crash!
Old 15 March 2014, 02:15 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

How some decisions are reached is a mystery to all but the insurance company themselves. Its amazing that whenever I change anything on my policy I get charged more, even when the car is a lower group, post code and profession is known to be cheaper. I end up cancelling my policy and starting again.
Old 15 March 2014, 06:18 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Insurers normally hate insuring couriers, even when not for business use.
Old 15 March 2014, 11:40 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Hmmm . . . . . Discrimination!
Old 16 March 2014, 09:08 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Hmmm . . . . . Discrimination!
Or the fact couriers tend to drive like dicks
Old 17 March 2014, 12:47 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Yeh maybe, albeit in their work vehicle if they are in a rush to get something delivered on time, not so much in their own vehicles.

Anyone can drive like a dick, regardless of what happens to pay the bills!

And a courier needs their license, and usually a pretty clean one, to be able to get a job in the first place.

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 17 March 2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 17 March 2014, 11:32 AM
Moley
Sponsor

It's all about stats really, certain occupations have more claims than others.
Old 17 March 2014, 05:43 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

I was going to say I would be interested to know figures to back up why couriers are targeted so much, not that I am too bothered of course, because I am now suddenly so much less likely to make a claim than I have been for the last twenty years
Old 17 March 2014, 08:12 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
I was going to say I would be interested to know figures to back up why couriers are targeted so much, not that I am too bothered of course, because I am now suddenly so much less likely to make a claim than I have been for the last twenty years
We have certain occupations that insurers charge more for, or exclude completely.
Old 22 April 2014, 09:27 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Hmm, volvo renewal this time, and to reinforce my view that numbers are plucked from the sky, this renewal premium, in my wifes name, with my amended job description and 7 years ncb instead of 6, an inrease of 125!

Now there is a reason for this, although reading another thread near the top of the page one which shouldnt make much difference.
Before DL could give us the renewal price, we recieved a letter saying that there was an issue they needed to clear up.
Despite the fact that I had told them of my sp30 when I got it (4 years ago) again when we changed the volvo over 2 years ago, and again last year when an adviser phoned to say they could beat the renewal premium, they had neglected to add it to the pklicy, and even went as far as saying they would charge me for the extra premium and even back date it for the last four years!

However, after putting me on hold for a while the adviser said that he wasnt going to charge anything because he could see that it was their fault, .

I asked him why the premium had gone up a lot, given my change of profession and that the insurance for the scoob was half that of the volvo, but apparantly a volvo diesel estate is a higher risk car than an impreza wrx!