Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greenlight will not insure UK Spec Euro imports!

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2002, 12:49 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Surely this can not be right? It makes me so angry that anyone with a car identicle to a UK dealer supplied one is being discriminated against. Is there a regulating body I can complain to about this?!?!
Old 23 May 2002, 05:06 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Can't understand that. I'm insured with them and I have a dutch sourced Euro import which is the same as the UK spec and they did not have a problem with it.

Damian.
Old 23 May 2002, 05:31 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Just had me renewal thru. Tried all the usual suspects inc Greenlight, Tesco, Liverpool Vic etc, then spoke to

Christian at Keith Michaels - 0208 288 0677.

Although i have a UK car i am sure they can help, they were easily cheapest for me (except for Churchills but they don't allow mods).

If I recall I think Christian has an EVO, so knows his stuff.

best of luck.

Tony
Old 23 May 2002, 05:48 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

SPEN555
I spoke with Greenlight today & was told regardless of the fact that the car is exactly the same as a UK dealer supplied they will not insure. I would check with them to see if you are really covered because they specifically asked if it was a Euro import. Like you say it makes no sense as the car is no different & I will be insuring it to the full UK value & thus paying the full UK premium!

I feel this is as bad as a franchised dealer refusing to service a Euro car, there must be same law against this discrimination.
Old 23 May 2002, 06:46 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Nib,

Whilst I accept what you are saying (and to be honest I agree)...I would point out that Greenlight is an Insurance Brokerage, and as such is bound by their underwriters/insurance companies.

Unfortunately if those companies are no longer prepared to insure a particular type of vehicle, then alas there is not a great deal that Greenlight can do about it...

Just my 2p's worth...

Rum*
Old 24 May 2002, 09:39 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Red face

Rum*
Thxs for your input.

The only consillation I thus have will be if there are increasing numbers of parallel imports (upto a 3rd of all new anymake registrations) then short sighted insurance companies will be missing out in a big slice of the potential market.

NIB.
Old 28 May 2002, 03:39 PM
Greenlight Insurance
Scooby Newbie

Euro Imports

Just to straighten things out, we can cover European import vehicles (UK Spec) but only once they are registered in the UK. We can also only cover them for the price paid (proof required) as you cannot benefit from an insurance claim i.e. Pay £18,000 for import, £830 for insurance and then claim £23,000.

The other problem is that European imports do not come with VSIB approved security as the VSIB have confirmed to me because their only approved installers are in the UK. Therefore adequate security will need to be fitted.

At present we cannot cover Japanese import vehicles.

I hope this clear things up, if anyone has been told we cannot quote for a European vehicle and it not for any of the above reasons please call me and I will see if I can arrange a quote for you.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

Barry Scott
Greenlight Insurance

[Edited by Greenlight Insurance - 5/28/2002 3:40:58 PM]
Old 28 May 2002, 03:54 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Nib,

Just to add to above. The garage I bought my car from had fitted a cat1 alarm and Tracker device.

After being with Privelege for one year I found Greenlight to be cheaper and at the time of renewal put the car in at a value of £15k.

So I think tying this in with above explains why they did not have a problem with my car.

Damian.
Old 04 June 2002, 09:12 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm currently having this battle with Greenlight also. I'm buying my STi TYPE UK from Ian Litchfield of Litchfield Imports. It is exactly the same spec as the UK dealer supplied model, i.e. Type UK and I even think it comes from Japan on the same boat (and I'm having a Cat 1 Alarm/Immob fitted before I collect it too).

It comes with an EU Certificate of Conformity and is a full UK Spec, EU Import. I think that the fact that it is supplied by a UK dealer and not one on mainlain Europe is imaterial - it's a UK/EU Spec car bought in the EU, and I have a bunch of VIN numbers now to prove it.

I had a 45 min argument with Andrew @ Greenlight on Thursday and in the end, he asked me to supply the VIN before they make their final decision. From the data I have gathered in this post in general, the model code taken from my VIN for my car is exactly the same as those for UK dealer supplied cars.

The trouble is that for some strange reason, Greenlight think that it is a "Jap Import" and they don't cover Jap Imports. Now I would define a Jap Import as a car destined for the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) and not the EU. The Type UK is clearly not one of these so I expect them to cover me (as they agreed 3 months ago). If they will cover a mainland imported EU Spec Type UK but not a UK supplied EU Spec Type UK then that has got to be against EU law, descrimination and restriction of free trade.

Now I'm sure this isn't Greenlight's fault as Tom (Rum) said, it's the underwriter. I think however, that the problem is that Greenlight are not paying enough attention to the model in question and if they were to look a little closer, they would realise that these cars are UK models.

Barry of Greenlight,
I hope this clear things up, if anyone has been told we cannot quote for a European vehicle and it not for any of the above reasons please call me and I will see if I can arrange a quote for you
I will be speaking to Andrew tomorrow morning (I got the VIN on Friday afternoon just after he had gone home) and will supply my VIN (along with a bunch of others so that they can be compared with mine) and if he still insists that my car is a Jap Import, then I will give you a call.

Here's hoping that we can sort out this mess.....

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. I was really [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] on Thursday as I'm 3 months away from 5 yrs NCB and don't want drop back to 4 years by taking out new insurance with someone else....
Old 05 June 2002, 11:28 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Email exchange with Greenlight this morning, they are talking to IM to see if they will "support" the car....not much hope there then

Will let you know what happens....

Matt
Old 05 June 2002, 01:27 PM
nib
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Thanks for the reply Barry.

When I originally called Greenlight I explained the car I wanted insuring is a full UK spec car including VSIB alarm & tracker. However, I was told that Greenlight do not insure ANY cars not sourced from a UK dealer.

In addition this also goes for other makes of cars as a friend tried to insure a imported UK spec Audi TT with you as well, again told do not cover imports. So I think you need to tell some of your advisors what the REAL policy is.

Both vehicles are already in the country so the not covering non-registered cars was not the issue.

I am extremely disappointed with Greenlight and/or its underwriter. I personally was so incensed that I will not be asking for any future quotes, and from the mixed messages coming from Barry and Greenlight advisors I still feel this is not the best company to insure any non-UK dealer car for anyone else.

NIB.
Old 06 June 2002, 11:51 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you have it in writing that they WILL cover euro cars after they are registered. I have a Euro WRX and found no problems what so ever covering once registered ie. you have the tax disc in your hands. If buying through a dealer ie Mr Litchfield then the car will be registered. If they are not sticking to the facts stated (once again in writing) then stuff them and go somewhere else. I always find that if you phone round someone will beat your lowest quote any how... Just remember that you must have security, tell them it's a Euro import and adjust the price insured accordingly....
Old 07 June 2002, 12:07 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Fizz,

It's not as straight forward as that - because I asked them in March and all quotes are valid for 30 days, by the time I got to actually do it, even if I had had it in writing, it would not have been legally binding.

I stand to loose a years NCB, 3 months from my 5th year which has a fairly significant effect and on top of that, Greenlight are nearly £1000 cheaper than the next best quote (and believe me, I've shopped around lots!!!! )

Matt
Old 07 June 2002, 03:25 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

I dont think they know the difference between parallel imports and grey imports IMHO, Parallel imports have been coming into the UK for more than 20 years and yet its only recently that people have taken notice and purchased a cheaper uk spec car from abroad.
Now say that you source a Honda Civic Type R for instance in belgium, if all is what it seems and greenlight (who naffed me off by the way after 1yrs ownership of my scoob as it is a euro import) say that its not a uk sourced car, well eat me socks, it was only built in the uk!!
I think they need to sort what is grey and what is parallel out, broker or not, these are the ONLY insurance co to turn me down with a euro import!

Tony
Old 07 June 2002, 02:56 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chaps,

Greenlight have come up trumps and will now cover all EU sourced (except perhaps the UK) Scoobs as IM have stated that they will supply parts for any EU sourced car.

Greenlight will hopefully post up the details here and they will also be putting a statement up on their website next week.

I'm one happy blokie (and on top of that, England have just beaten Argentina )

Matt
Old 08 June 2002, 03:49 PM
CallumW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up