Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q About Putting Insurance On Hold

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2013, 04:24 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q About Putting Insurance On Hold

Afternoon.
If I sell my car and place my insurance on hold until the end of the policy (3 months) in order to not lose my NCB, is it still legal to drive other vehicles 3rd party only, as I could when my insurance was live? Or does every aspect of my insurance stop?
Old 20 January 2013, 05:51 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Not all insurance companies accept freeze periods. If they do, you would more than likely have to complete the 3 months left in your contract with them in order to earn your NCB i.e. you need to finish a full 12 month paying period (if you're on direct debit) not including any hold/freeze period, whatever you freeze for is effectively added on top.

As the policy is put on hold I would imagine that 3rd party driving will be too, as your whole account is frozen, however, I'm not too sure how things are effected with the new law stating you need to have insurance at all times on a car with the exception the car is sorn.

Last edited by saints_forever; 20 January 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 20 January 2013, 06:13 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

I'm with you. I paid the insurance up front, but thought it would help if I sold my car. Then I would have the cash ready so if I saw the Type R I wanted I could put a deposit down and then go and collect it the day my new insurance started.

The whole "ability to drive other cars 3rd party" ending made sense. As soon as I wrote the initial post down I thought "don't be silly Jim".
Old 20 January 2013, 06:51 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Ah, I see what you mean, good idea in principle. It's catch 22;
* Sell your car and hold on freeze until the new one and switch over
* Keep your policy running on a car you don't have for 3 months (which is iffy as well, as if someone else buys your car and insures it there will be 2 policies for 1 car).
* Or cancel and get reimbursed (though they screw you over with admin fees etc) and you lose your NCB for this year which isn't helpful

Nothing's easy with cars

Good luck with the purchase though
Old 20 January 2013, 06:58 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Cheers! The other idea is that I know someone selling a banger 306, but then when I get my Type R in April, the insurers will look at my previous car and say "an Inpreza after a 306?! Are you insane?!" Even though I've had a Legscy GTV twin turbo for a while.