Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct Line and tracking devices

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2002, 10:32 AM
trigbert
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Not too happy with Direct Line this morning.

Get my new turbo on Friday so thought I would confirm my on line quote with them before I get the tracker fitted tomorrow, pay some cash etc.

But there was one little problem:

If anyone has done an on-line quote with Direct Line (and Tesco for that matter), you will remember before you get a quote then you need to select a security tracking device. Of the 10 or so listed I plumped for Tracker Retrieve (cheapest!). Completed the quote which was pretty good £800. (Just me 33, prot NCB, £350 excess but 1 accident in 2001, MY99 no mods to car).

Chris Knott without Tracker was £975. So I thought make an investment and go for Direct Line and get a Tracker Retrieve.

Until this morning that is...

Apparently they will not cover me with Tracker Retrieve it has to be one of the (you guessed it) more expensive options:

Tracker Monitor
Tracker Horizon
or one of 2 RAC Trackstar models (cant remember which - lost interest by then).

So why list the other tracking devices on the quote site - well if the car already has one of those devices fitted it is OK to have a Tracker Retrieve. That makes about as much sense to me. So bye bye Direct Line. Tesco was a good quote but being as they are the same underwriters I imagine they will say the same.

I have thought about maybe trying to force them in to honour that quote, but really can't be bothered so I'll have another quick ring round and give someone else my money.

So just be warned when you do that on-line quote all may not be as it seems.

Rich
Old 14 May 2002, 11:53 AM
stubarru
Scooby Regular

Angry

Not very happy with Direct line either, My renewal has just jumped by £300 to £1300 when my no claims has just increased to 4 yrs. When I asked them if they negotiate they basically gave me the two fingers and said take it or leave it. They have just lost my business!!
Old 14 May 2002, 01:10 PM
greyghost1
Scooby Newbie

I totally sympathise...i just got bent backwards over a barrel and told that i would not only have to shell out £400 for a tracker monitor...but that my insurance was going up because i foolishly admitted that i was going to be doing more yearly mileage.

theres no justice.

Old 16 May 2002, 02:22 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

we're insured with Tesco's with a Tracker retrieve!!
Old 16 May 2002, 02:32 PM
Dirty Wrong'un
Scooby Regular

Just got a gooooood quote from Barclaycard and don't need a tracker, give them a call.

No connection etc
Old 16 May 2002, 06:24 PM
trigbert
Scooby Regular

Smile

Finally wnet with Liverpool Victoria. After a recommendation on another thread. Royal Liver quoted over £2000 with £500 excess - muppets.

No tracker, £250 excess, unlimited mileage for pretty much the same as Direct Line and Tesco so I'm happy with that.

Also tried Egg cos if you've got an Egg card and pay with that you get 10% off. So when your premium is £900 that helps alot!!

Trouble is they also require a tracking device. It has to be an active device like monitor or horizon, just like Direct Line.

Wonder if the underwriters are making more rules up as they go along - cant imagine that.

Anyway pick my first Scooby up tomorrow and the sun is a shining -life is good (if expensive)

Rich
Old 17 May 2002, 11:35 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bit odd, I'm insured with direct line had to get a tracker fitted, got retrieve as the cheap option and it was fine, methinks they definitely make up the rules as they go. They do have us over a barrel. Insurance is a pain and they can do what they want.

Marc
Old 18 May 2002, 12:33 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Angry

Jen....i`m in the same boat!!

Rich
Old 20 May 2002, 03:50 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had a Uk Turbo with Privelege, and had the retrieve fitted as required. Changed the car to a MY99 and they wanted a Montor (expensive) so I cancelled the policy immidiately and wrote an arsey letter.

They want their cake and eat it.

MB
Old 21 May 2002, 10:26 PM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm glad I'm not the only one that got done, sorry guys.

I got retrieve fitted to my UK turbo as Priviledge stated that I needed tracker fitted, non specific.

Got home with my shining motor thinking I was all insured up and faxed them the fitting certificate. I got a call 2mins later from Priviledge stating that they did not cover retrieve and I was not insured. So i went ballistic and threw in a few f*&ks etc and job loss threats and she went away for about ten mins to speak with their underwriters. The bottom line is they insured me as I was not told, and I got a letter confirming that. So lets see what happens next year when the renewals up.
Old 22 May 2002, 09:40 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

This is one to watch.

About 12 months ago Direct Line and Tesco did not require a tracker.
About 7 months ago Direct Line did (any tracker) and Tesco still did not.
About 6 months ago rumours started flying round on here that Direct Line would not accept a Tracker Retreive but they would. Take a look online and you could get a quote with a Tracker Retrieve, a quote is a quote whether it's online or not.
Now from what I've seen on here Direct Line will no longer accept Retrieve and Tesco require a tracker. Retrieve acceptable but no doubt in 6 months they will follow Direct Line and it will have to be an active one.

Anyway what I'm getting at is basically what pups was saying, be interesting see what they say come renewal, if they try to suggest that u have to fork out again for another tracker then they should foot the bill for the upgrade

[Edited by boultsy - 5/22/2002 9:43:42 AM]
Old 22 May 2002, 11:52 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Money grabbing ****ing *******
Old 22 May 2002, 11:57 AM
stubarru
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just got a great deal from Greenlight Insurance and they have knocked over £300 off my Direct Line Renewal!!

Bye Bye Direct Line!!!
Old 22 May 2002, 11:53 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Just taken out cover with Greenlight too - no tracker required and 60 quid cheaper than D Line. Knew what they were talking about re modifications too.

Double checked my renewal quote with D Line - nope, I wouldn't need a Tracker of any sort as the car's not above a certain value (unspecified) and I'm in a reasonable area (Worcestershire).

Seems the rules change depending on whether you're repeat business, where you live, and what your car's deemed to be worth (mine's a UK98).

Cheers,
Steve