Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to declare for brake discs\pads

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2012, 05:04 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to declare for brake discs\pads

Hi there,Just after some advice... If I replaced my discs and pads, godpseed grooved disc (std size) and kevlar pad at front and some ebc yellow pads at rear on std grooved discs, what would you declare this as on insurance? i.e. if I phone and say EBC yellow pads will they know what I mean or assume I've put bigger brakes on and charge me for something I dont have fitted?If the disc size is not changed, will the ebc yellow's and kevlar fronts be classed as OEM replacements, as there not for track etc?Do they need to be declared? For those who have declared if needed, what type of price increase would I be looking at?Cheers Mike
Old 23 January 2012, 05:06 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

If they're uprated they should be declared really, but i can't see any reasonable company charging extra for just discs and pads.
Old 23 January 2012, 05:12 PM
Mike_2009
Scooby Regular

Ok, thanks Gary. btw I have me renewal coming up in March, about 6 weeks away. How early do you provide quotes if I get in touch?
Old 23 January 2012, 05:19 PM
Moley
Sponsor

I normally say 2-3 weeks
Old 30 January 2014, 10:24 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
If they're uprated they should be declared really, but i can't see any reasonable company charging extra for just discs and pads.
A google search looking for the same question has brought me back here. It all sounds so wishy washy. How is 'uprated' determined and even if they proven to offer uprated performance words like 'should' and 'really' are not the same as 'must' declare.

I have been in a similar position to the OP. The Norwich Union call taker didnt really have a clue as to what I was talking about in a previous discussion over an equally vague mod but wanted to charge me a 'general, non specific modification' charge nevertheless of £50.

Last edited by SRSport; 30 January 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 30 January 2014, 10:53 PM
Moley
Sponsor

It all depends on the individual insurer, hence you won't get a definitive answer on here or Google.
Old 31 January 2014, 09:13 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Would it not make sense for there to be industry standards to prevent confusion among the public? Mr Average informs one insurer who states, "you don't need to inform us of that", goes away and renews with another company next year. Doesn't tell them as he is now under the impression that it is not something that requires declaring, then needs to claim, only to be told, "sorry, you should have told us that you have put metal valve caps on", or whatever the pedantic excuse may be.
Old 31 January 2014, 09:45 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Not really. Some insurers just don't like any mods.... so it's as simple as that.

If YOU decide to mod your car it's down to YOU to declare it to whatever insurer you're with.

At some point the client needs to take responsibility, rather than heaping the blame on the insurer.

And i say that as both an insurance rep, and someone who mods their car.
Old 31 January 2014, 02:23 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

It seems as though the entire emphasis is on the client to declare everything that an insurance company would deem a mod, I'm not sure at what any point the responsibility shifts from the insurance company onto the client to be honest. With every insurance company judging mods differently the onus should be on them to state what mods they consider to be premium altering. As for needing to declare mods that dont alter premiums...why? What difference does it make? How many people buy used cars where the stereos, seats, alloys have been upgraded on the factory line, completely unaware that they are different to what was standard? It seems as though there is far too much freedom for companies to wriggle out of claims if they so wish and perhaps at some point the insurance companies need to take some responsibility.

I know that this is not the case for every insurance company and have heard nothing but praise for Keith Michaels but there are more than a few companies out there who by their very reputation taint all insurance companies.