Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance while unused?

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2011, 12:10 PM
mokoia
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance while unused?

I am going to be working out of the country for about 2 months in the near future.

My mot runs out tomorrow (got a test booked Tuesday morning) and my insurance runs out before I go away.

I'm going need to use my car after the renewal date, before I leave the country put probably only once then it's going to be SORNed.
Obviously I have no intention of driving uninsured and I don't want to let my insurance lapse and lose my 9 years no claims.

I know it's possible to get temporary insurance and I've been quoted 40 quid for a single day. That would take care of the single use problem but not the insurance lapses = no claims gone.

Is it possible to get a policy that reflects the fact that the car is going to be parked up off road while I am away or do I just need to suck it up and pay the premium for the year? Or am I misguided in thinking that if I let it lapse I will lose my no claims for that period?
Old 18 September 2011, 12:53 PM
mokoia
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually, some quick research has revealed that NCB won't expire during that period I'm away if I don't have a policy.
Old 18 September 2011, 12:56 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

does your ncbnot last 2 years if you dont have constant running insurance you would be better posting in insurance for the correct reply
Old 18 September 2011, 12:57 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

As above, your NCB stays valid for 2 years.

If you SORN the car you don't need it insured (with this new law) assuming it's kept off the road of course