Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fully comp on someone elses vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2011, 05:36 PM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully comp on someone elses vehicle

Hi,

Can anyone answer this please. Would be very grateful.

Right my partner was involved in a crash a few weeks ago. She has been going through the claim and sent off her paperwork of what happened.

Her insurance co has turned round and said her insurance is null and void as the vehicle is not registered in her name. Its her sisters car.

Where does she stand on this. Are they just backing out using any excuse not to have to do anything. I have looked through ALL there insurance inclusions and exceptions and could not find anything.

I cant see how this is a problem. Her sister agreed she could drive the vehicle and she paid her premium. She said at the time of taking out the insurance she made them aware she did not own the vehicle.

Can this really be the case. Of course We will be seeking legal advice to clarify this.
Old 03 July 2011, 06:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Your partner has filled in the form and claimed to be the registered keeper of the vehicle (not necessarily the owner with legal title) then I'm sure the insurance company will try and wangle out of it

Shaun
Old 03 July 2011, 10:48 PM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Makes me die.

I always thought as long as you had permission and you paid your premium then that was that.

She said she would never have put that she was the owner if she wasnt but the certificate says she is.
Old 03 July 2011, 10:58 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

To be honest it doesn't sound like she's going to have much luck as it will be down to her to check all the paperwork when it comes through, I'm guilty of the same as i never check things.

I'd now be worried about being done for driving without insurance as the paperwork isn't correct, could it be void?
Old 03 July 2011, 11:37 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be careful here as the owner (the person with legal title over the vehicle) is not always the keeper of the vehicle........

You need to take legal advice (are you in the AA / RAC)

Shaun
Old 04 July 2011, 08:45 AM
Chris@A-Plan
Former Sponsor

It is down to insurable interest.

Unless you have specifically stated this at inception, then you may struggle.

The reason is your partner doesn't own the vehicle, so is essentially insuring something that she won't suffer a loss on if she crashes. (Because if she crashed they would have to reimburse her sister as it is her car).

If you haven't disclosed this, unfortunately they have every right to throw out the claim.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Chris
Old 05 July 2011, 01:03 AM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. Thats not good.

Its just been frustrating from the start. First of all it got passed to an accident management company who after two weeks of having her car then turned round and said it was her fault. Despite never actually seeing the road and looking at a google map to show the road layout and correct lane filtering. We even had a witness and they completely discounted his statement. I wont name the company but the treatment was totaly un-called for. The lady said oh we have had damning evidence from the third party. You cut across her and hit her. We think its your fault and thats it. I have showed it to my boss and he agress. WTF!

We also went back to the scene and took photos to prove we were in the correct lane when the accident happened. The lady wanted last turning at a roundabout and should have been behind us. Instead she took the middle lane and tried to come all the way round. Fool.

It wouldnt have been half as bad if my partner didnt end up in hospital two weeks later, having to speak to an insurance co that franky couldnt give a hoot. Getting very upset and feeling completely helpless.

I wouldnt mind but I'm so frustrated that this bloody driver might get away with it after causing my partner misery for the last 3 weeks when she was blatantly in the wrong from the start. Plus trashing the side of her car and causing well over 2 grands worth of damage that we may well have to stump up ourselves.

I think accident management co will be getting snotty letter for there complete incompetence. Hope we get the lady in question in trouble. She deserves it for being useless and very narrow minded.

Blimey. I need to get off my high horse.
Old 14 July 2011, 12:01 AM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Hooray, got a result. The underwriter has agreed to honour the claim as long as my partner gets the V5 changed over.

Good stuff.
Old 14 July 2011, 12:14 AM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Reading through this i come to the last comment, As long as you have a V5 in your name they have to honour it, doesnt matter if you change it now, which was going to be my advice, but you already know that now.