Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant insure old car to sell it

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2011, 10:15 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant insure old car to sell it

Right long story but here goes

I have still got my old car to sell but because I bought my new car before selling the old one i had to move my insurance and NCB over to the scoob.
As i now have the old car up for sale i need to insure it for people to come and look at it and try it.

My insurance company A plan say its going to be ether mega bucks if i insure it in its own right with a new policy which i cant afford that as it will be twice the monthly amount that im paying for the scooby as well as paying for the scoob.

They can only offer me a maximum 4 x weekly insurance packages at £30 per week but can only do it maximum of 4 times.
I need some sort of insurance for selling it as i will be stuck if someone wants to try the car on an evening or weekend when they are shut and also would prefure to have it insured in its own right constantly until it goes.

What insurance company would offer me a policy based on just to sell as I am not using the car daily and obviously mileage is going to be just down to almost nothing only when people want to go out in it with me driving obviously what do I do??.

I have tried on the net for quotes but ran into lots of probs

1, its a jap import
2 its modded
3 i have no ncb on that car
4 its 20 years old now.

im stuck any ideas??
Old 22 May 2011, 10:49 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

have u tried moley one of the mmbers on here he works in insurance might be able to help
Old 22 May 2011, 10:57 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

mm might have to ask him thank you xx
Old 22 May 2011, 11:21 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Use the A Plan option IMO
Old 29 May 2011, 10:16 PM
1234michaelm
Scooby Regular

why insure a car for someone else to drive, if the buyer wants to test drive he or she must insure it not your problem.
Old 30 May 2011, 12:11 PM
Keta
Scooby Regular

Maybe a bit late but...

The best bet would be to have a friend/family member, like your dad or whatever, to drive the car for potential buyers. They should be able to drive it third party (legal at least) if they are fully comp on their own cars. You can explain that they are not used to the car or let them have some time in it previous to viewings.

The A plan option sounds like a very good deal but with this car you are likely to meet a lot of messers and you will be pi$$ing money away on people that just fancy the day out.
Old 30 May 2011, 02:26 PM
CSW_Scoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Keta
Maybe a bit late but...

The best bet would be to have a friend/family member, like your dad or whatever, to drive the car for potential buyers. They should be able to drive it third party (legal at least) if they are fully comp on their own cars. You can explain that they are not used to the car or let them have some time in it previous to viewings.

The A plan option sounds like a very good deal but with this car you are likely to meet a lot of messers and you will be pi$$ing money away on people that just fancy the day out.
The car will still need to be insured by you, and now you need to insure any car that is not got a SORN against it.

Originally Posted by 1234michaelm
why insure a car for someone else to drive, if the buyer wants to test drive he or she must insure it not your problem.
If you have n't got it insured yourself it should be SORN.
Old 30 May 2011, 05:24 PM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have gone with the A plan way but after 3 weeks I wont be able to insure it so i will just have to take the tax off it sorn it and break it unfortunately cant insure it in its own right.

it is currently on Ebay and has one day to go so i hope it sells so i don't have to break the car.
Old 30 May 2011, 05:31 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

good luck
Old 30 May 2011, 11:27 PM
1234michaelm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CSW_Scoobie
The car will still need to be insured by you, and now you need to insure any car that is not got a SORN against it.

If you have n't got it insured yourself it should be SORN.
what? If it's taxed but got no insurance and it's parked off road you still need to SORN it? I don't think so.
Old 31 May 2011, 12:18 AM
lisa_z
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1234michaelm
what? If it's taxed but got no insurance and it's parked off road you still need to SORN it? I don't think so.
Hi unfortunatly as of jan this year yep . It is stupid as insurance people should develop an off road insurance to brigde the gap as the new system dosnt work for those selling cars the dvla has just doubled its work think of all the cars for sale and not used will have to have tax taken off mony refunds and all the sorns they are now having to send out . Not many cars are now going to have tax on them when sold due to this :-(.