Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greenlight - Dont be Fooled

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2002, 09:32 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I'm not one to whinge much on this bbs but I feel that people need to be aware of my recent experiences of Greenlight.

I previously had a number of good years motor insurance cover with Privilege. Good service, mods covered, track-days covered, cheap price, I had it all. But when they stopped track-day cover, I had to move on.

Enter Greenlight.

After much ringing around, Greenlight proved to be the cheapest, with trackday cover available at "Between £20 and £60 per event" And thats where the problems started. First trackday can along and I needed confirmation of cost. What a surprise, £60. Never mind, should have expected that.

Then, after regaining her licence after suffering a medical condition, my wife wanted to be added to my insurance. No problem I thought, no convictions, no accidents, ever! Until, that was, I was told "That'll be an additional £116, Mr Lewis" But what option did I have but to pay up.

SO by now, I had paid nearly £1000 for insurance, far more than my previous years cover under Privilege. So when I came to change my insurance to covermy soon to be collected SAAB, I expected a fair rebate, since full years insurance with companies like Privilege was £550. No chance. £86 was all I would get

Well now I can do something about it. "So, how much for cancellation" "£200" came the reply £800 for 6 FECKING months insurance Main stream companies (such as Privilege ) give a pro-rata'd refund on surrendered policies.
So guess where I've now gone.....yep, back to Privilege.

The moral of this tale is that the cheapest quote isn't always the cheapest insurance. Dont ever consider modifying your policy with Greenlight as, once you've signed on the dotted line, they've got you by the short and curlies

******* Webmaster/Moderators, sorry for this outburst, but its all provable fact. I believe that every scooby owner considering taking out or renewing their insurance with Greenlight should be made aware. *******

[Edited by DavidLewis - 3/13/2002 9:34:08 PM]
Old 14 March 2002, 01:43 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have added stuff to my MY01 with Greenlight without any hassle or problems.

When you signed on the dotted line you handed your short and curlies over to Greenlight, maybe worth reading what you have been offered before signing next time.

Sounds like you made a mistake and are now looking for someone else to blame.

Old 14 March 2002, 04:49 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Nigel.

Yes, I made a mistake. No, I'm not blaming Greenlight for that mistake. But I also dont wish any other Subaru member to make the same mistake either.
Point being, if I was aware of those sort of costs, I wouldn't have made the mistake
Old 14 March 2002, 04:51 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

P.S. In fairness, I've never had a problem adding mods with Greenlight and in fairness, I never said I did.
Old 14 March 2002, 04:51 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, hope you find insurance utopia again
Old 14 March 2002, 05:01 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your story David but I would just like to say that we're with Greenlight and have found them to be very good so far. They came up with the cheapest quote and the guy we spoke to seemed to have a good knowledge of the car and it's (many) mods.

Given that I read this forum at least 3 times a day and have come to hear a lot of insurance stories, good and bad, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it's all a bit 'swings & roundabouts' out there in the world of insurance. There are people praising one company whilst another is slating them etc etc, 9 times out of 10 I believe it's down to the person you speak to and not neccessarily the company. If you're not happy with what they say then either go higher or phone back and speak to someone else.

Sal
Old 14 March 2002, 07:20 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

When I cancelled my policy with the AA (because the policy didn't allow any mods - I hadn't checked this as I didn't plan doing any -doh!) and went to Tesco, the AA refunded me pro-rata to the day

£200 to CANCEL the policy - HELLO

Tim
Old 15 March 2002, 09:47 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

NBW.

Sorry, I've given you the wrong idea.They offered me £200 if I cancelled the policy. Still, that resulted in 6 months insurance costing £800.

P.S. Apparently, if you surrender your policy after 8months, you get nothing.
Old 18 March 2002, 02:57 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Try getting telling them that you've changed your car to something they won't cover. (STI5 (?) etc.) They will then decline to cover you on your "new" vehicle, as opposed to you terminating your policy. Penalties should not be payable as they caused the policy to be terminated the policy & not you, therefore a simple pro-rated amount should be refunded.
Old 20 March 2002, 03:14 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Dunk, so changing to a Ferrari 360 modena and to include my 21yr old brother should do the trick

[Edited by DavidLewis - 3/20/2002 3:16:01 PM]
Old 20 March 2002, 06:15 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

I've experienced the same sort of problems as you David but not with Greenlight.
If you are familiar Admiral, Bell Direct, Elephant are all from the same stable but are diff in initial cost (as ordered cheapest last). Admiral gave 40% for cancellation after 6mths but Bell Direct only 35%. The point is you don't see this information until you receive the policy through the post so I always read it immediately. I changed cars halfway through one year as follows (sorry for the long story but it shows the ridiculousness of the way they operate)

Aug98 1 year ins for peugeot 306xsi £604
Mar99 buy 306GTi-6 and look to change the car
additional premium of £174 until Aug99
5mths remaining so £604/12x5 = £251
plus £174 = £425 for 5mths = £1020 per annum
with me?
canx policy rec back 30% = £181
new annual policy with same ins co £648
obviously cheaper...bizarre!
Once they have your money and a particular sydicate is full then they are reluctant to give any back as you are part of their fund to cover all the risks in that syndicate.
Old 20 March 2002, 10:10 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Direct Line - cancellation in first year = pro-rata plus one month, cancellation after first year = pro-rata only...

G