Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2009, 11:07 PM
daaannaay07
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance question!!!

Perhaps a topic that has been discussed many a time, but looking for some fresh answers!!!

Being the age of 21 i cannot insure anything more than a pre 2001 Impreza sport!!! I did have an old WRX when i was 19 that was registered as a GL - but finding a similar car is unlikely (wish id never sold it !!)

Anyway - i read before of a way round insurance but looking for advice on its legality:

Buy a **** old car ie. metro (no offence to any metro drivers!) with full tax mot etc, and insuring it fully comp. Then buying whatever scooby takes my fancy and putting it in Mums name. Now, theoretically I think Im insured to drive it 3rd party arent i???

Its very naughty, and should I have an accident, would open a world of issues - but, is it possible/legal/worth it???
Old 19 July 2009, 11:43 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Yes you can insure it in your mums name but it will probably say that noone under 25 can drive it
Old 19 July 2009, 11:44 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Plus not all fully comp insurance covers you to drive any car
Old 19 July 2009, 11:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

your answering your won question, its not worth the hassel, insurance companies are wising up to this and people are getting caught and insurance companies refusing to pay. if you can't afford it buy a sport and wait till you can
Old 19 July 2009, 11:57 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

Tidgy is correct.

Many insurers would agree to have you as a named driver of a parents policy, however practically none of them would pay out in the event of a claim.

It's one huge scam and should not be allowed. You & your parents think you are fully covered.

3 weeks ago I was driving along a road in a Mercedes Sprinter van and a kid in a nappy came running out of a line of parked cars. I pushed my brake pedal virtually through the floor. I was that close I could not even see the top of the kids head when I stopped.
Another 2 meters & I would have probably killed the kid & I was only doing about 25 mph.

If that had been you driving and you traveled another few Mts your insurers would just shut the case with small print!.

The Police & the kids parents will want to know why you were not insured. Sad thing it you thought you were !!

Last edited by SkullFudge; 20 July 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 20 July 2009, 09:08 AM
daaannaay07
Scooby Newbie

i hate u all coz i know ur right!!! lol

Its just frustrating as I had a WRX and i fookin loved it!! but it seems near impossible to find another one that is insurable.

I'll have to keep looking for replicas and just play a turbo sound through my stereo with all the windows down
Old 21 July 2009, 05:44 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

If you had the WRX registered as a GL and insured as a GL even know it was a WRX your insurance on it would have been void anyway... its the owners resposibility to register the car correctly when you buy it, most the time they are done right from new but some people register them as GL's because their cheaper to import that way.