Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Keith Michaels, hello A-Plan

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2009, 09:54 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye Keith Michaels, hello A-Plan

Having just renewed my insurance I thought I would post my thoughts from dealing with both companies for the last year/recently, as they both seem to be commonly used on here....

For the last year I have been insured with Keith Michaels, Gary sorted out my insurance. Gary's quite hard to get hold of and never seems to return calls/reply to messages etc but once I did get hold of him he promptly sorted out my insurance last year and seemed to know his stuff.

Renewal time came around recently, well last week actually. I got the renewal notice from Keith Michaels/Gary which to my surprise gave me 4 days to renew!! Cheers guys The letter was dated the 7/7/09 and I received it on the 8/7/09 notifying me my insurance expires on the 12/7/09 (a Sunday too so really 3 days to sort my insurance). Not only this but my renewal cost was the same as last year (£595) with a nice little note half way down the letter saying "If you find the above premium to be uncompetitive we would ask you to contact us" (probably to then reduce the cost I suspect should I find a cheaper quote, although I would hardly have the time to do so).

Anyway, started searching the net and even Direct Line came out around £75 cheaper than the above, although they would need an active tracker.

I then thought I would try A-Plan. Asked for a quote on-line Thursday evening as it was out of hours. 9:06am Friday morning I had a call (left a message as I couldn't answer my mobile at the time) from one of the chaps at A-Plan asking me to get back to them as they needed some more details about my car. A few phone calls went back and forth, mainly because they were calling me but I wasn't able to answer my mobile. Each time they called me back when required and even though I was asking for one particular guy (as he had left the message) the person who answered the phone could promptly find my info and deal with the enquiry while the other chap was occupied with a customer.

Once I had spoken with them a couple of times they came back to me with a nice quote of £479 Nice one me thinks (all mods covered like for like, same excess etc etc).

I tried to speak with Gary to give him the chance to improve on his price but as usual I couldn’t get hold of him, left a message but didn’t get a reply.

Needless to say I went with A-Plan as on this occasion I felt their customer service was better and obviously the price was a good one.
Old 14 July 2009, 09:37 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

I phoned a-plan last week and theyve offered me the best premium on my bmw and offered to protect my valuable 4 yrs NCB and at 22 YO thats vital!

BUT, they also quoted me happy on my impreza, £2000 all mods declared and iv done a lot to it

Also tryed to get hold of gary at KM last week with no joy but hey ho guess he is a busy guy
Old 14 July 2009, 10:11 AM
New_scooby_04

Gary is incredibly busy, but he's a great guy and will do his level best to get you the best price possible. I always find that if you PM him on here, he'll get back to you very quickly. I'm happy to have to do a bit of leg work to get through to him.

Some people think that you shouldn't have to chase companies though, and that's furry muff!
Old 14 July 2009, 11:07 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Gary is incredibly busy, but he's a great guy and will do his level best to get you the best price possible. I always find that if you PM him on here, he'll get back to you very quickly. I'm happy to have to do a bit of leg work to get through to him.

Some people think that you shouldn't have to chase companies though, and that's furry muff!

Yea that’s fair enough. I know his a busy person and all that but it would be nice if after leaving a few phone messages, e-mails and PM's on here, that one way or another you would receive a response at some point.

I had the same problem last year when trying to get a quote/take out my insurance and also again recently regarding my renewal. Seems to have time to send me another reminder saying insurance has expired, yes, well if I could get hold of you maybe it wouldn't be. I also work in a busy environment but at some point I manage to get back to our customers, if I didn't then we probably wouldn't have many!

Anyway, his loss and my saving
Old 15 July 2009, 09:37 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

The letters are computer generated

I appreciate it is hard to get hold of me sometimes, but most people manage to, it just takes a few tries sometimes.
Old 15 July 2009, 12:34 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

moley can i pm you for a qoute?
Old 15 July 2009, 01:11 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by wrighty338
moley can i pm you for a qoute?
Yep, but there is no chance at all that i'll be able to prected your NCB at 22
Old 15 July 2009, 01:14 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

you should of got your rwl invite 6 weeks before. well around 6 weeks before. so 4 days before is fsa regulations.

i am with aplan and i am paying £800 5yrs ncd and an in10 on my policy. all this on my v3 sti import
Old 15 July 2009, 01:31 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stiscooby
they came back to me with a nice quote of £479 Nice one me thinks (all mods covered like for like, same excess etc etc).

but what is the polciy like? Sometimes cheapest isn't always best.

I appreciate that to some people getting the cheapest quote at all costs is the be-all and end-all. However not all policies are the same and not all insurers are worth giving your money to.

For sure, you'll have the piece of paper that says you can drive on the highway but you try and claim...... there are insurers out there that are happy to take your money but will fight tooth and nail to find the slightest reason to avoid paying out to you.

The benefit of a broker you can trust is that they will ahve experience of claims and will know which policies to avoid.

I'm not for one instance suggesting that this is the case with A-Plan you understand, they have a very good reputation as does Moley. It's just that you need to build up a relationship with your broker and he will (in Gary's case) look after you

I'm sure Moley know's he's hard to get hold of and that irritates some people but as I've said on another thread, and NS04 alluded to, that's a good thing. It means he is busy on the phone sorting out insurance for one of us
Old 15 July 2009, 01:36 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr_D
you should of got your rwl invite 6 weeks before. well around 6 weeks before. so 4 days before is fsa regulations.

i am with aplan and i am paying £800 5yrs ncd and an in10 on my policy. all this on my v3 sti import
21 days before, not 6 weeks

A letter will always be sent 21 days before the renewal date, and we also send a chase letter 3-4 days before the date it we haven't had a reply to the original.
Old 15 July 2009, 01:39 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Milamber
For sure, you'll have the piece of paper that says you can drive on the highway but you try and claim...... there are insurers out there that are happy to take your money but will fight tooth and nail to find the slightest reason to avoid paying out to you.

The benefit of a broker you can trust is that they will ahve experience of claims and will know which policies to avoid.
Absolutely spot on
Old 15 July 2009, 02:22 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

A letter will always be sent 21 days before the renewal date, and we also send a chase letter 3-4 days before the date it we haven't had a reply to the original.
i work in insurance and it has to be raised 6 weeks before rwl.

you work for a broker so maybe different to you guys as we have to send the docs to you and then onto the customer from there. but i swear down it is 6 weeks before rwl date
Old 15 July 2009, 03:00 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr_D
i work in insurance and it has to be raised 6 weeks before rwl.

you work for a broker so maybe different to you guys as we have to send the docs to you and then onto the customer from there. but i swear down it is 6 weeks before rwl date
Yeah it may be different for the insurers themselves, as we need to receive it before the 21 days, and re-broke if needs be.
Old 15 July 2009, 05:03 PM
mshill
Scooby Regular

I appreciate that to some people getting the cheapest quote at all costs is the be-all and end-all. However not all policies are the same and not all insurers are worth giving your money to.

I'm not for one instance suggesting that this is the case with A-Plan you understand, they have a very good reputation as does Moley. It's just that you need to build up a relationship with your broker and he will (in Gary's case) look after you

I'm sure Moley know's he's hard to get hold of and that irritates some people but as I've said on another thread, and NS04 alluded to, that's a good thing. It means he is busy on the phone sorting out insurance for one of us

Too true m8,
Hope the guy that got cheep insurance through A Plan, has not got a policy from Marker Study!!!!
Coz if he has a genuine claim or in my case house broken into and car stole
Marker study are murder to deal with, they will do anything and everything to get out of paying, which draggs the claim out longer too, 13 weeks it took them to sort me out

anyway iam with Keith Micheals now
Old 15 July 2009, 05:32 PM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

We're on our 3rd year with Keith Michaels and well happy too. Best/cheapest policy we can find and never have a problem speaking with Gary. It is usually my Mrs that rings mind
Old 16 July 2009, 10:01 AM
Chris@A-Plan
Former Sponsor

Thanks for your kind comments - glad I could have helped.
Old 16 July 2009, 07:34 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

That’s true, you never know how good any company is until you come to claim. The cover for my car seems better than previous to be honest, as already mentioned like for like mods (although was the same with Keith Michaels). This time it also includes legal cover (not sure if KM policy did?) as well as hire car etc. Protected no claims and all the other stuff you usually get. £350 total excess/£50 excess for windscreen replacement.

It's not a good thing if he is that busy and you can never get hold of him/a call back though!

Last edited by stiscooby; 16 July 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 16 July 2009, 07:38 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris@A-Plan
Thanks for your kind comments - glad I could have helped.
Chris, not sure if your the chris I spoke to on the phone (as I know there are two of you) but thanks for your help

Last edited by stiscooby; 16 July 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 16 July 2009, 07:44 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I received my RENEWAL notice on the 8th (letter dated the 7th) 4 days before it expired, that has been the only thing I have received since receiving my policy info a year ago.

I have since received a reminder, dated the 10th, which I received Mon/tues.

Someone else also told me this breaks some regulations but I can't be arsed with the hassle.

If they are computer generated I think you may want to check the date/times on your computers mate

Last edited by stiscooby; 16 July 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 16 July 2009, 07:55 PM
Moley
Sponsor

I received my RENEWAL notice on the 8th (letter dated the 7th) 4 days before it expired, that has been the only thing I have received since receiving my policy info a year ago.

I have since received a reminder, dated the 10th, which I received Mon/tues.

Someone else also told me this breaks some regulations but I can't be arsed with the hassle.

If they are computer generated I think you may want to check the date/times on your computers mate
You'd have got two sets of 4 letters (one set 21 days before renewal, and a reminder 3-4 days before renewal), followed my a final reminder (probably the day before).
I don't think we 'have' to send the 2nd and 3rd reminders, but is obviously a good idea to do so.

We are fully FSA regulated and compliant, and even emply people to make sure we are.

The times and dates are fine on our computers thanks

FWIW all our policies come with legal cover, and will have protected NCB if you request it.
Old 16 July 2009, 08:04 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

You'd have got two sets of 4 letters (one set 21 days before renewal, and a reminder 3-4 days before renewal), followed my a final reminder (probably the day before).
I don't think we 'have' to send the 2nd and 3rd reminders, but is obviously a good idea to do so.

We are fully FSA regulated and compliant, and even emply people to make sure we are.

The times and dates are fine on our computers thanks

FWIW all our policies come with legal cover, and will have protected NCB if you request it.

Well, all I can say is I didn't get the first lot? Got the one 3-4 days before renewal (dated the 7th so not sure if you would have anyting dated before that which I should have received?) and then a reminder saying you still haven't received intructions from me (dated the 10th), but thats been it.

Last edited by stiscooby; 16 July 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 16 July 2009, 08:08 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

I was with a plan and yes they was cheaper, When some 1 nicked my motor oh my god it come to me why they was cheaper .

As stated cheaper is not best k.m all the way for me in 3 years i have never once not got hold of gary in a single day he the man for me xx lololol
Old 16 July 2009, 08:10 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Well, all I can say is I didn't get the first lot? Got the one 3-4 days before renewal (dated the 7th so not sure if you would have anyting dated before that which I should have received?) and then a reminder saying you still haven't received intructions from me, but thats been it.
If your post is anything like mine it'll arrive in a few weeks time, lol.

I appreciate is is hard to get hold of me at certain times, and i do apologise for that, but i do tend to get very, very busy at times.

I thank those who continue trying and do get through, but obviously understand some will people get fed up and go elsewhere.

Hopefully you'll give us a chance to quote next year.
Old 16 July 2009, 08:31 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Been insured with Keith Michaels for 4 years now. Always get excellent quotes from Gary for my modified classic.
Old 16 July 2009, 08:49 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Ive always managed to get hold of you first time Gary and you always ring back when you say you will so its swings and roundabouts really
Old 16 July 2009, 10:09 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

FWIW all our policies come with legal cover,
Old 17 July 2009, 08:54 AM
Chris@A-Plan
Former Sponsor

Hi Stiscooby, it was myself you spoke to :-) glad we could have helped. Sorry for the confusion with the two Chris'!

Hope all goes well.

Chris Clacy @ A-Plan 01635 874646
Old 17 July 2009, 09:06 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Although technically it is called Claim Assistance
Old 17 July 2009, 09:25 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

The letters are computer generated

I appreciate it is hard to get hold of me sometimes, but most people manage to, it just takes a few tries sometimes.
it is your fault lol you are so busy as nice bloke with competitive prices,i imagine the others get narked when every subaru owner rings up asking to speak to you!
so far scooby alfa and hopefully murtaya insured by gary
martin-a very happy customer!
Old 21 July 2009, 11:39 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong my previous cover did include the above, I wasn't saying you dont include those things, I just mentioned them so the relevant poster knew what items were included with my A-Plan cover.

I appreciate your a busy chap, thats fair do's. In the few days I had to sort my insurance it didn't give me much chance to keep trying to get hold of you and had to get something sorted before the Sunday when my existing cover ran out.

You will be on the list to call next year

All the best

Quick Reply: Goodbye Keith Michaels, hello A-Plan