Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for A-plan and other insurers on here

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2009, 12:33 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for A-plan and other insurers on here

Just had my policy throught the door with A-plan.
On reading through it there are lots of things that are not covered in the event of theft etc but the worrying one i found was this:
Theft cover is excluded in the event of the vehicle not being kept in a locked garage between dusk and dawn within a 1mile radius of your home.

So basicly if i go visit friends or someone more than a mile away and stay overnight and parked on their drive and my car is stolen i wont be covered?
is this common among all insurers or is it ust A-plan??
dont ever remember reading this when i with greenlight.
Old 18 July 2009, 01:24 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Same as I have on a classic policy on my cossie, normally means that if car is at home or where it is declared as stored it must be in a locked garage overnight, but if you are away or stopping over somewhere else then you will be covered, it is just to stop people declaring car as in garage then leaving it outside just to get a reduction in premium. This is a normal exclusion, and as long as you put it in the garage when you are at home you have nothing to worry about.
Old 18 July 2009, 02:08 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

Oh ok, so its the opposite of what i thought, it will be covered if i leave it ungaraged away form my home address, thats ok then.

The thing is that contradicts my policy as it states and i told them that it will be kept in a private carpark outside my house and not garaged(i dont have a garage). so if it gets stolen from my home address it wont be covered?

Last edited by Nolan_WRX; 18 July 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 18 July 2009, 03:34 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I think you need to phone them asap as you may not be covered if it gets stolen, best to check now rather than if (god forbid) anything happened
Old 18 July 2009, 03:49 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

yeah am a little concerned about it.
it dont start till the 31st of the month, but not sure if the 14 day cancel period is from then or from when i had the letter.
will give them a ring monday, they seem to be shut now.
CHeers for the reply mate
Old 18 July 2009, 08:19 PM
Chris@A-Plan
Former Sponsor

Hi nolan if you need any assistance please call me Monday and I will put your mind at rest! :-) garage endorsements normally apply if you disclose this at inception, so if this is not the case, I will deal with it personally.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Chris @ A-Plan 01635 874646
Old 23 July 2009, 01:55 PM
mshill
Scooby Regular

Theft cover is excluded in the event of the vehicle not being kept in a locked garage between dusk and dawn within a 1mile radius of your home.

If your policy states this then you can be sure that if your car is 1" under the 1 mile radius when stolen, the insurer (Not Broker) will use this as a reason not to pay out!!!!

My house was broken into at 4am (whilst i was in bed) car was stole from the garage, all fairly straight forward for the claim i thought.
Was insured by marker study via Aplan, and Marker Study tried every clause and trick in the book to try and un-cover something that would have pointed fault on my part!

Anyway after 12 weeks of numerous phone calls, not to mention the 1.5hr recorded call/ interview they have with you to go through the details, then they send you the paperwork which has all the same questions in it again! they eventually coughed up the cash.

Always read the small print!!
Old 23 July 2009, 02:54 PM
Chris@A-Plan
Former Sponsor

Hi mshill,

Sorry to hear of your experience. Claims processes are in place and sometimes can take a while. A lot to do, sadly, with others making fraudulent claims, also in a lot of cases, loss assesors have to look at the scenario etc...

With respect to the garage endorsement, of course they may not pay out if it isn't garaged within 1 mile of your house. Only because this is something stated at inception and the policyholder gets a nice discount for doing so. If its within a mile, unless there are valid reasons (ie building work, flooding etc) realistically there are no excuses not to garage the vehicle!

Im glad all was sorted in the end and I hope you got a good service from the guys here. Any problems at all please try and use me first for reference and I will ensure that you feel completely comfortable with us. No matter how big or small the problem. :-)

Regards,

Chris @ A-Plan
01635 874646
Old 23 July 2009, 11:23 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

i rung up, tried to speak to you chris but you were busy and i didnt have much time to wait.
The guy i spoke to said it was a mistake and that part shouldnt have been sent to me as it specifies on the policy that it is kept in car park at home address.
Assured me and said all the conversations are recorded, so i have kept a note of the time and date.
also asked for an updated copy to be sent to me but nothing recived yet?
Old 24 July 2009, 08:53 AM
Chris@A-Plan
Former Sponsor

Hi Nolan,

PM me your full name and postcode and I will sort out. I am in the office all day today.

Chris @ A-Plan 01635 874646