Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I quote my RB5 as the WR version

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2002, 01:14 PM
Phil Hammond
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I bought the standard RB5, I have now had the Prodrive Performance Pack and the Prodrive rear spoiler fitted.
In affect the car is now a RB5 WR.

Can I therefore, from an insurance point of view, quote the car as the WR version rather than the 'standard + modifications'; I know some insurance companies list the WR as a separate car and thus these modifications are not consider modifications!!

Have RB5 WR owners found it cheaper to go to insurance companies that list the WR as a car, rather than listing the modifications?

Is there anyway of actually identifying an original WR?
(eg I just have a 'PPP' certifcate from Prodrive, did the RB5 WR car come with a 'WR' certificate?)

Advice please?
Old 06 March 2002, 03:31 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I'd be as honest as possible with insurance companies. They can tell from the VIN that it isn't a factory WR and that will invalidate your policy should you need to make a claim.

Steve.
Old 06 March 2002, 03:57 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

Phil, I believe you can. As long as you tell your insurance company it is a RB5 WR Sport then you are safe. The WR Sport was a conversion offered with the car at extra cost or it could be carried out later. The inference was that if it was carried out later the cost of the conversion would be greater.

In my experience most insurance companies I have dealt with do not differentiate between the WR Sport and standard. This means that you end up paying the premium for a WR Sport irregardless of which model you have.They usually put it as a group 18 instead of 17.

It is clear from reading this bbs that some insurance companies do ask which model it is and quote accordingly. However, this has never happened to me.

I have had the conversion done exactly as you have.

Beastie
Old 06 March 2002, 04:06 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phil,

As with the other guys, my own experience has been that most insurers don't class them differently. Certainly, Admiral, AXA, Adrian Flux and Chris Knott didn't. Of the 20-odd I phoned around last year only 2 asked which one I had - and they were so expensive I didn't pay much attention to them.

I would ask your insurers if they class them seperately. If the just have the RB5 down as group 18, then you're safe. You might want to ask them to make sure it states WR Sport on the policy.

Stefan
Old 06 March 2002, 04:24 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

the rb5 wr i nearly bought last year had wr on the dials as well
mark
Old 06 March 2002, 05:34 PM
Phil Hammond
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response guys.

Whilst ringing around for quotes this afternoon I asked the insurance companies whether they identify the RB5 and RB5WR as different cars. All of them only have the RB5 listed once. Furthermore, the indication was that this did not cover both cars but just the standard version.

Can one assumme that if they say insurance group 18 it covers the WR version?? After all the standard RB5 is different from a standard MY99 - this alone may put it in a higher insurance group?

Sounds like a very 'grey' area to me. It even sounds possible that some RB5 WR owners may be driving around with invalid insurance?

Think I shall go along with Stefan's advice and make sure the policy identifies the car as a WR sport (i.e modified)

Steve, I take it from your comments that original WR's are registered as such with the DVLA?
Old 08 March 2002, 12:05 AM
bugeyes
Scooby Regular

Speak to Greenlight - the guys there know there stuff. I had a quote for a std wrx for £790 but decided on a WR RB5. Twas exactly the same price!
Ste
Old 30 May 2002, 01:24 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

I have a RB5 WRspot and am insured through Norwich Union.
Got the policy through Keith Michaels (christian Wheatley)

0208 642 7868 (direct to christian 0208 288 0677)

Cheam are also good - call them first - mark abbot is the guy - 0181 770 1001 - cheam (mark abbott)

let me know if you want more info