Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I spoke to some LAME insurance peeps 2day - Thank God 4 Schofields

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 09:52 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

93 WRX, high wing, MRO front lip spoiler, 17 in wheels, foam air filter element, front strut brace, cat back jap aftermarket exhaust, turbo timer, 3 gauge set, CAT 1 Alarm/immobiliser.

Me 32, 15 yrs licence, 10 yrs NCB, no claims/convictions/points, low risk postcode (cambridgeshire village), always had performance cars and bikes, car garaged.

Was insured with Bell Direct for £895 - Car was runing v badly and had to have my ECU ROM boards replaced with 96MY code by Power Engineering as early WRXs commonly suffer with dodgy ECUs (according to Merv, and he solved the problem). Bell cancel my policy instantly upon me telling them about this (After telling me they wanted an extra £150 for uprated brakes?!? and another £150 on top of that because I'd just become a company director!).

Call around for a couple of days, get no-where fast. Modded Jap imports without trackers virtually impossible to insure it would seem.

Elephant - quite happy with all the mods and quote me £910 until I mention the strut brace. Instant withdrawal of the quote. I offered to take it off, but the supervisor there said that would make no difference and the fact it had ever had one fitted meant they couldnt insure it. How unbelievably stupid is that?

Allen and Allen - £1150, mods allowed up to 2.5k as long as the car wasnt lowered and didnt dramatically increase engine power. I nearly took this, but then........

Schofields - All mods OK, I can also tweak suspension and add uprated brakes no extra cost, £693. Dean, I salute you. I should mention this requires a tracker, but I can get one fitted and still save money on the only other quote I was given.

So if it wasnt for the guys at Schofields, I'd still be grinding my teeth in my sleep.

Anyone recommend a good tracker (apart from a retrieve).

What a frustrating couple of days. What a happy ending.

[Edited by kwakman - 3/2/2002 10:29:01 PM]
Old 02 March 2002, 05:21 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Lo matey

Im looking at paying around £800 for a WRX in stock form (albeit without tracker) let alone when I add 17" OZ's, STi7 spoiler, WRC headlight conversion, Scoobysport back box and anything else I feel like adding.

Simon.
Old 02 March 2002, 01:55 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Alright Si.

Hurry up and get it will ya, I need another Scoob nearby for runs. Nothing else can keep up (as we discovered with the evo-mob at Kimbolton).

800 squid doesnt strike me as too bad, being as yr a nipper and I'm an old man (relatively speaking). Mod it tho, and yr looking at a world of pain wrt insurance unless u fit a tracker.

I assume yr gonna get a proper quick old styley WRX and not one of those slow new bug eyed jobs?

Theres a Scoob meet at Fen Ditton 2moro lunchtime. Fancy it? U can see my new OZ superlegs!

Andy
Old 02 March 2002, 05:06 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Kwakman,

Glad we could assist m8 !!

Always good to finish a Friday on a high note

My Friday was going swell until I broke my toe on the skirting board whilst going to bed !! Now only my toe is swell

Hope the new ECU is working !!

Cheers,

John
Schofield Insurance Brokers

Old 02 March 2002, 09:55 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yes Andy it will be a fugly new style WRX (I dread to think about my ins on a Jap Import WRX) with a few cosmetic mods to decrease the fugliness, mainly STi7 rear spoiler, superleggeras, some form of headlight conversion (havent decided which yet). Will sort out a brake upgrade, PPP and decat zorst systems and possibly some eibachs later on down the road.

Looking at some of todays results at PE there are a few peeps running their MY01 WRX's at anywhere up to 280bhp with PPP, air filter and full decat exhaust, so not to bad on the power front - well enough to give you a run for your money anyway

I may go to the meet at Fen Ditton tomorrow as its only 5 mins away from me. Thing is Im at work now until 8am sun morning so depending how knackered I feel I'll see if I have the will power to drag myself out of bed
Old 02 March 2002, 10:05 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Red face

8 am? Fack! What do u do for a job? Hope it pays well. I won't hold my breath, but will get u a beer in if I c ya there. I might know someone by me whos trying to shift a fugly WRX if ur interested. A 280 brake one of those might be alright I spose, but I reckon you'll need all of em to keep up with mine and wossisface with the stickery P1.
Old 02 March 2002, 10:16 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry to hear about ur toe John. May ur swelling decrease hastily (oo-err). The replacement ECU has transformed the car from a dangerous bag of nails which used to cut out alot and generally mess around to a nicely quick and rorty Scoob (just as it should be).

Can I say it was a pleasure talking to people who actually seem to appreciate the cars instead of the disapproving tones I was getting from the majority of insurers. I was made to feel by some like I'd done something wrong by buying it in the first place!

Researching trackers 2day. Turns out the Retrieve was the cheapest of all of em! D'oh! I know Dean said any bar the Retrieve would be ok, but I guess it would have to be Thatcham Q'd at the least wouldnt it? I'm not sure some of the products out there calling themselves trackers would qualify.

Sorry. I'll stop talking shop.

Thx again m8!
Old 03 March 2002, 01:27 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Hehe, I work in a 24*7 Network Operations Centre for one of the world biggest corporate ISPs. I work 4 days on then 4 days off which I love as it means me and my mates get to do loads of stuff cheaply whilst the rest of you lot are hard at work Go karting is the latest craze!

Im off to Florida the end of April so skint after forking out for accomodation, flights and car rental. Am looking to order the car when I get back so will be a few months still before I get it.

I may turn up tomorrow just to see how youve transferred your WRX and to take a look at those superleggeras as Im torn between those or the 17 inch OZ P1's in anthracite - both look great with a silver car but the leggeras will show off decent calipers better (once I upgrade to a Brembo/AP kit). Ill have to blag a spin in your car to get my next scooby hit after going for a blast in warped chris's Evo on thursday (he maybe coming tomorrow as well).
Old 03 March 2002, 11:32 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Yep we'll take her for a spin (if you can get up). You arent the only one who can work trick hours - I'm self employed now so choose my own hours. Where do you kart? Tried Caxton and Wyton?
Old 03 March 2002, 03:23 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Oops - didnt get up. To be honest I wanted to get some zzz's in so I can watch the Derby Man Utd game before work (again) tonight. If it was any other day Id have come.

Weve been karting a few times at caxton but during the week they only open the indoor track which is a tad short for my liking. What sort of times do you get there? Im hitting around 19.51 secs at the mo and am sub 20secs most laps. Had my best kart ever last week and was blinding and the geezer fooked the printer up and lost all the times - my mate got 19.22 in that kart and he says I was going a lot faster

Whereabouts is this Whyton track? Any better than Caxton?
Old 03 March 2002, 04:53 PM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Ive crept under 20 sec b4 but it seems to depend on what kart u get. 19.5 is fast, no doubt. Wyton is just north of huntingdon and the kart track is opposite the air base. Not as good as Caxton, v cheap and a good laugh cos they just let u get on with it (karts already 2 bent 2 matter). Lerrus know next time ur going.