Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAR WRITE OFF ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2009, 05:17 AM
332tur
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAR WRITE OFF ADVICE

HEY guys, just had my car written off - not my fault! The cars been declared a write off, can i ask for the car back? Had £4000 of mods to it, from whiteline adjusters to samco hoses throughout engine, defi gauges etc and theres no way want some scrap yard getting hold of it...as well as my Pioneer stereo with 12 disc auto changer!
Old 10 February 2009, 07:06 AM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 332tur
HEY guys, just had my car written off - not my fault! The cars been declared a write off, can i ask for the car back? Had £4000 of mods to it, from whiteline adjusters to samco hoses throughout engine, defi gauges etc and theres no way want some scrap yard getting hold of it...as well as my Pioneer stereo with 12 disc auto changer!
You can buy it back off them, usually 10% which they will deduct from your payment. This is presuming it's a CAT C or above, as if its CAT B you will not be able to as you need to be registered as trade.
Old 10 February 2009, 07:33 PM
scoobyste1987
Scooby Regular

were the mods declared?
Old 13 February 2009, 10:00 AM
Sti_Pete
Scooby Regular

Have they said why they have written it off??
Old 25 February 2009, 08:25 AM
332tur
Scooby Newbie

Been a f@*%ing nightmare!!!!! A well known compan in Perth...no names mentioned eh....did service, the mechanic took it for a drive....dry road, dual carriageway, decent tyres 3months old, 334bhp......no other vehicle involved and managed to crash!!!! a month later and they still ain't declared it to their insurance. Its been classed as a Cat B write off.....I said i wanted another assesment so the car was brought back to me..washed and polished, I asked why and the guy from COPART UK said "we were going to advertise it on the internet to sale"!!!!! FFS I aint even settled it yet. Take a look at my photos and list of upgrades and see why am hacke doff that they offering me £3800!!!!!!!!!!!! And now saying i'm not allowed the car back!!!!! How much some scrappy going to make on a chipped engine, with upgraded turbo, samco hose kit, air induction kit, bigger injectors and at rolling road last year did 334.5bhp!!!!!! Then there's the Defi gauges in centre console and on A pillar, alloys etc. Yep EVERY mod was declared, that why full comp was £1170 a year!!!
Old 25 February 2009, 09:28 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is a Cat B you won't be able to buy it back.

You have two options....

a) Pay for an independant engineer to inspect the car, in the hope he re-classes it as a Cat C
b) Go through your own company rather than the garages (assuming you haven't already done this) and hope they class it as a Cat C
Old 25 February 2009, 09:39 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

or c) Find someone with a breakers licence, that is willing to buy it back for you. Last resort though, unless you trust the person.
Old 25 February 2009, 10:17 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Have you got legal protection as part of your insurance?

If so get some solicitors to put a rocket up them for nothing. Sounds like a right mess.

5t.
Old 25 February 2009, 10:23 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
or c) Find someone with a breakers licence, that is willing to buy it back for you. Last resort though, unless you trust the person.
The insurance company will normally have their own approved breakers that the car will have to go to unfortunately
Old 25 February 2009, 10:30 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh right, sometimes auction's though aren't they?
Old 25 February 2009, 10:58 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Oh right, sometimes auction's though aren't they?
Not too sure
Old 25 February 2009, 03:33 PM
yellowperil
Scooby Regular

you should still be able to buy back the car even if it is cat b. cat b just means that you cant repair it and put it back on the road. its to break for parts only. i had a clio with a lot of mods on a few years back that i crashed and it was declared cat b write off and i bought that back no problem.
Old 25 February 2009, 05:10 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Just gone through the same situation with my car.Initially they would not let me have the car back,due to them worrying you are going to try and put it back on the road.However,after talking and explaining the situation to the engineer in charge of my car,he was able to get the car returned to me.As you say,the car was worth a fortune stripped,i just had to take a 10% loss from my insurance payout.Just keep on to the engineer explaining your position,if that fails,im not sure legally if you can demand the car back,as long as the car is declared `scrapped` at the end of it all.Tell you one thing though,it bloody hurt me to see it in the state it was and stripping out all my hard work,but i have sold every last piece of my car,so its well worth doing...