Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - charged full policy rate due windscreen change.

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2009, 12:28 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - charged full policy rate due windscreen change.

I paid direct debit monthly for a policy with Brit Insurance through Performance Direct to cover my Subaru from April last year.

After selling the scooby in August I had to switch insurance (but still through Performance Direct) and my policy with Brit Insurance was cancelled as was the direct debit.

Anyway, yesterday they debited £260 from my account without warning. I called to ask for an explanation and was told as i'd had a new windscreen fitted to the scooby in June they classed it as a claim and had therefore taken the remaining monthly payments in one go.

Firstly, please read the wording of my policy summary and see what you think

"WINDSCREEN - Covers replacement or repair of your windscreen or windows. Unlimited cover if carried out by approved service, otherwise £100 limit will apply. £60 excess applies if your windscreen is replaced."

I paid the £60 at the time of replacement plus I used their approved service (Autoglass).

As it stands they've taked 5 months to decide it was a proper insurance claim and as such I should pay the full policy despite the fact it was only running for a few months.

Is this normal practice and will this affect my no claims. I'm mighty cheesed off because it's now effectively cost me £320 for a windscreen where I read the policy covered it and it should only cost £60.

Any thoughts?
Old 22 January 2009, 12:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never heard of that happening before.

Did you argue it with Performance Direct?
Old 22 January 2009, 12:56 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Yes I did, they tell me Brit Insurance are one of only 2 insurers in the country who do this and are sending me another copy of the policy booklet.
I've written directly to Brit Insurance Customer relations for an answer too.
Can't understand why it's taken 5 months to decide to do this too.
Old 22 January 2009, 12:56 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

p.s. I was covered with Brit Insurance through Performance Direct
Old 23 January 2009, 10:43 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Bugeyeandy,

With most Insurers' the windscreen claims are handled by approved repairers such as Autoglass or RAC Autowindscreens to make the process easier, not harder.

The windscreen company would usually collate and send all screen claims under one account to the respective Insurer monthly. The Insurer would then check off the windscreen company account vs their client records, making sure that the reg number, policy number, cover (ie. comprehensive) matched your record enabling the Insurer to identify you.

Once identified, the claim would be paid.

We have seen some occasions where the claims were not originally paid, but these purely occurred where either an incorrect registration number, policy number or date of claim (making the claim outside the policy cover period) had occurred.

The first thing to do would be to check the invoice received from Autoglass as this will show the details captured and would enable you to verify that Autoglass had your details listed correctly when presenting to your Insurer (Brit) for payment.

Windscreen claims are usually the slickest possible incident as Insurers do not wish to waste time handling what are effectively a small damage claim where liability is not in dispute.

Brit Insurance will be no different to any other Insurer in this regard and will never intend to cause their customer hardship with what is a routine claim.

The best way forward to resolve this would be:

1) Check autoglass documents to make sure your details are entirely correct

2) Contact Brit Insurance claims department to reimbure your outlay by return (Fax/scan/post) your invoice to them, or send by registered post.

3) Alert Brit Insurance customer relations officer (Address below)

The Customer Relations Officer
Brit Insurance Ltd
55 Bishopsgate
London
EC2N 3AS

Tel: 0207 984 8600
Fax: 0207 984 8640
(E): enquiries@britinsurance.com

Unfortunately with Greenlight not being your broker we are unable to do this for you, but I hope this post helps you resolve this.

Kind regards & Best of luck with concluding this

Tony
Old 23 January 2009, 10:59 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

how do u stand claiming the cash back from ur bank for a direct debit you didnt authorize basically
Old 23 January 2009, 08:35 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Tony @ Greenlight, thankyou very much for the comprehensive reply.
I've since sold the car so no longer have an invoices or documents relating to it.
I have already written to the address you've given so i'm glad to have some confirmation that i'm barking up the right tree! Thanks again for your help.

scoobynewbie72 - they get around this because you kind of agree they are allowed to do it when you sign the monthly payment agreement. Sucks but if I was to go to the bank and get the money back i'd end up with a bad debt and all the problems that causes.

Needless to say if I don't get the money refunded I will be cancelling my insurance with Performance Direct and choosing another insurance provider. Their behaviour in recovering this money has been shocking with a complete lack of thought for me the customer.

Thanks again all for the help, Andy
Old 26 January 2009, 09:59 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

No problem Andy, i'll PM you with contact details for the owner/MD of Performance Direct. He's a good guy and will look into (or at least get someone to look into) this for you.

It would be worth (Performance Direct or you) calling Brit's claims department to get a copy of the invoice - which will then let you follow my suggested route the above.

When you talk to them you could also ask them specifically why they have not indemnified the claim.

Kind regards

Tony

Ps. Just a shame we can't help more, but not being your Broker we can advise from a distance rather than being hands on
Old 06 February 2009, 12:21 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Got a letter from Performance Direct today stating they have refunded my £260 at the request of my insurer "even though there has been a glass claim made under the policy".

Glad they were gracious in defeat

Looks like i'll be on the hunt for a new broker come renewal time as this shower don't deserve my money.

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread and watch that small print - if it even exists!