Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Other Cars extension on policey

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2009, 01:46 AM
cube320
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Other Cars extension on policey

Hello i need some info about the 'Driving Other Cars extension' on my insurance policey.

I am going to use my brothers car for a few days, i know that if i have a accident and it's my fault the insurance company will only pay for the car i hit and nothing for my brothers car.

But if an accident is not my fault will my brothers car be covered for repair etc.

Thanks
Old 21 January 2009, 02:18 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

You really need to ask the insurance company. Every policy is different and i dont know that SN'ers will know the ins and outs of your personal policy.
Old 21 January 2009, 09:16 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cube320
Hello i need some info about the 'Driving Other Cars extension' on my insurance policey.

I am going to use my brothers car for a few days, i know that if i have a accident and it's my fault the insurance company will only pay for the car i hit and nothing for my brothers car.

But if an accident is not my fault will my brothers car be covered for repair etc.

Thanks
You'd be claiming against the person who hit you, so assuming you get their details you should be ok. Worth checking though
Old 21 January 2009, 11:16 AM
cube320
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the replys. I will contact my insurance company and see what they say.
Old 21 January 2009, 12:53 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

THats an easy one, just call your insurance company and they can swop your policy over so that your fully covered on your brother's car, then when you go back to your car just call them again.

You can drive his car on your policy assuming it states you can but as said 3rd party only, and as you say if YOU hit someone your brother's car won't be repaired but if its CLEARLY NOT YOUR FAULT then you will claim off their insurance and your brother's car will be repaired or written off.
Old 21 January 2009, 12:59 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dazza01
THats an easy one, just call your insurance company and they can swop your policy over so that your fully covered on your brother's car, then when you go back to your car just call them again.
Wouldn't recommend doing that.
a) It isn't your car to insure
b) Car will be insured twice, which is illegal
c) They might charge you a £25 fee to swap, and another £25 fee to swap back

If you do need to be fully comp get him to add you as a named driver on his policy for a few days. There may be a small charge, but it is the only way to have fully comp cover really.
Old 21 January 2009, 03:02 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

My insurance is with bell, and i also have a drive other cars option on my policy. It is however an 'emergency only option' on 99% of insurance policys.

if you get caught driving and tell the police you are using a 'drive other cars' option on your insurance, unless you can justify it, then they can have you for it.

Personally i would just make myself a named driver for the few days i would need to use antoher car.

I used my mums car for a weekend and it costs about 3 pounds and then 20 pounds admin fees.
Old 21 January 2009, 03:05 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
My insurance is with bell, and i also have a drive other cars option on my policy. It is however an 'emergency only option' on 99% of insurance policys.

if you get caught driving and tell the police you are using a 'drive other cars' option on your insurance, unless you can justify it, then they can have you for it.

Personally i would just make myself a named driver for the few days i would need to use antoher car.

I used my mums car for a weekend and it costs about 3 pounds and then 20 pounds admin fees.
Makes a really nice change to read a post like that, where people aren't abusing the DOC extension, and are getting insured properly.

Top man
Old 21 January 2009, 03:16 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Makes a really nice change to read a post like that, where people aren't abusing the DOC extension, and are getting insured properly.

Top man
Old 21 January 2009, 03:23 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

Top man
I understand where your coming from on this, but I really don't agree. How can a DOC extenstion be 'abused' as long as its used within the law? My policy clearly states I can drive any other car not registered to myself with 3rd part cover. There is no special emergency clause attatched to it. This was agreed when I took my insurance out and in return I paid the insurance company the premium that they agreed to charge me to cover my car + DOC. How exactly would I be 'abusing' this policy by driving cars not belonging to me? There is no difference at all between driving with 3rd party insurance and driving under DOC as I understand.

I'd rather see poeple driving DOC than the current crop of scum driving uninsured out there. At least I'm covered if they hit me if they have DOC.

I have been pulled over twice and given a producer to check my documents while driving other cars and it has not been a problem, the police will likely do a database check on the documents at the station due to the insured car not being the one you are driving at the time. If your DOC insurance is legal this will not be a problem.

If I could get resonably priced insurance I would not hesitate to be a named driver on other cars in the family, unfortunately being under 25 until recently this has not been possible and they have demanded over £1000 to add me to an impreza/GTO TT. For the record I've been driving for 7 years, and the last 4 have been with impreza's/FTO/GTO's. I've never had a single accident and never had any points on my licence. Had I chosen to be a named driver on the cars I have access to it would have cost me somwhere between £5-10k over the last 4 years on top of my regular premium. I'm a sensible driver and find that unnaceptable.
Old 21 January 2009, 03:33 PM
Moley
Sponsor

DOC is not designed to be used as an everyday service. If you are a regular user of the car you 'should' be a named driver.

The example if you are driving a car using DOC, park it up, and the car is stolen, insurance companies could (and often do) refuse to pay the claim, as you were the last person in control on the vehicle, therefore the last user only had 3rd party.

The other problem is young drivers insuring a cheap car under their own name, insuring their performance car under parents name, and using their DOC to drive it.