Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 year old got a chance?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2008, 12:13 AM
wezy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 year old got a chance?

Hi everyone, im guessing most of you will laugh at this but i am aswell

I have always wanted a subaru since i was younger and now i can finally drive i wanna get one as soon as. I have been driving coming on 1 year now with 1 years NCB but im only 17 (18 by the time i come to re-new in 2months). Is there any possible way to get insured on one of the older models of subarus or should i wait until im 19-21?

Worth a try i suppose but i bet most of you know why i want one but its my ages thats letting me down.

Anyway, thanks for reading - some nice feedback atleast Wez
Old 23 January 2008, 01:27 AM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

How much can you afford. Im 23 and am paying quite a bit but the cheapest I have found is from admiral and I have advanced driving and 2 yr ncb.
At your age if you were to get a wrx or sti I would imagine that you would have to pay in excess of 4k fully comp. Why not go for a sport for your first ? as it would be a little cheaper. It all depends on how much you want to pay. From my experiance it is pointless gettin quotes online. Phone a few companys once you decide which model you like and take it from there.
Old 23 January 2008, 08:31 AM
scobymad
Scooby Regular

maybe a 1.6
Old 23 January 2008, 11:26 AM
saxx
Scooby Regular

Default yeh right!

a fate worse than death
Old 23 January 2008, 12:16 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

up2 u, i have a subaru 1994 wrx needs tlc.

its classified on logbook as 2.0 gl lol but is actually a wrx (turbo) if ur interested and don;t mind playing abit with car then pm me and il tell u exactly wots with this car.

selling for cheap as well.
Old 23 January 2008, 12:24 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

im 20 with two years ncb i paid 3200 for my wrx import and my insurance is 3084 a year unless u wanna atleast 4500 im guessing then go for a sport or sumthing or wait a few years
Old 23 January 2008, 01:10 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mew
up2 u, i have a subaru 1994 wrx needs tlc.

its classified on logbook as 2.0 gl lol but is actually a wrx (turbo) if ur interested and don;t mind playing abit with car then pm me and il tell u exactly wots with this car.

selling for cheap as well.
no offense but wouldn't touch that with a stolen ****. highly illegal.

i think you are going to struggle and it would be best to play the waiting game. read the thread below titled "renewal time" one of the best things you can do is get some experience of a car like a wrx and build up to it.

have a look at doing advanced driving etc as that should help your bargaining position. in the meantime nothing stopping you hanging out with the crowd. get along to a few meets etc. sort of like the nicotine patch but for cars. you'll still get hammered when you do make the purchase though!

5t,
Old 23 January 2008, 03:11 PM
wezy
Scooby Newbie

well, at lot more positive posts than i thought to be honest. I dont mind spending money but within reason sort of thing, all depends on the situation. I will pm you mew and see about your car, see what your talkin about. But thanks everyone and im goin to give a few insurance companies a ring and see what the price is lol
Old 23 January 2008, 04:43 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are looking at a 2l sport at best mate unless you are prepared to pay £7k+ for insurance. At 23 I was being qouted £2-3k on my wrx and that was with 5 years driving experience and 3 years ncb under my belt.
Old 23 January 2008, 05:33 PM
sjwdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wezy
well, at lot more positive posts than i thought to be honest. I dont mind spending money but within reason sort of thing, all depends on the situation. I will pm you mew and see about your car, see what your talkin about. But thanks everyone and im goin to give a few insurance companies a ring and see what the price is lol
Make sure you report back
Old 23 January 2008, 06:09 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

no way think i got qouted £13k when i was your age.
Maybe a uk 2.0l standard subaru.

Most places you have to be 25.
When i was 18 my first year insurance on a nissain priemra 1.6s 0-60 in 12seconds. third party £2,300.
Old 23 January 2008, 07:54 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I have a 2000 Sport (with all mods declared) costing me £670 FC with 4 years ncb, (5 next month for renewal).

I get my insurance quotes from that loverly man at Keith Michaels, Gary Moulson aka WRX_Moley
Old 23 January 2008, 08:07 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

i was paying 2300 5years ago when i was 18 on a saxo vts, so for a scooby at least double IF you can find some one to insure you, i struggled to insure my wrx at 23, it has been modded though so that doesnt help. you got more chance insuring a celica GT4, i know its not a scooby but its a 2.0 turbo and 4 wheel drive 255bhp on the st205....... will be just at quick if not quicker than any standard uk spec subaru you might insure......
Old 23 January 2008, 08:20 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

something like this would be a good bet mate with aonly a 1.5 engine it should be cheap to insure, but can easily be done to look like a type r

http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/details.asp?ID=148
Old 23 January 2008, 08:52 PM
Gerard_M
Scooby Regular

i got quoted 10k for a p1 (19) id leave it till your at least 21 deffinately.
Old 23 January 2008, 08:56 PM
killerscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiny gsy
something like this would be a good bet mate with aonly a 1.5 engine it should be cheap to insure, but can easily be done to look like a type r

http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/details.asp?ID=148
Personally I wouldnt spend 3k On a sport when you can buy the real thing for the same price, lets Be honest.. could you really handle the power anyway of a wrx/sti at the age of 17 you wont have much expierence of actually driving quick cars, My Advice is to build up your no claims and wait untill you get in your twenties before buying one, Iam 32 and still paying 600 with 10 years ncb, Sorry for a putting a downer on the subject but it's the truth.
Good luck anyway
Old 23 January 2008, 09:11 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

I feel for younger drivers, i remember it well. I am 35 and pay £260 tpft a year for my scoob & it dont need an immobiliser or tracker, even though they are fitted. I have protected NCB too, worth it in the long run.
This is with adrian flux insurance at kings lynn, you could try them. You never know.
Good luck
Old 23 January 2008, 09:40 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Learn to drive first. IMO a Scoob driving seatis the last place your average 18 year old should be sat!!!!!!
Old 23 January 2008, 09:44 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

adrain flux is the last place to insure a scooby, i found them really pricey,
Old 23 January 2008, 09:59 PM
scoobz72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l33 griff
They done mine for 260 a year which was the cheapest of all. Norwich union was the most expensive at 900 quid.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:04 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l33 griff

agree
AF were double what i'm paying with warwick davis
Old 23 January 2008, 10:10 PM
leigh4x4
Scooby Regular

hi mate. im only 23 with 2 years no claims bonus. i found it hard to get insurance but then i went for part time trader insurance. i only pay a grand a year and i can drive my scooby and virtualy any car and im covered!! i also tried confused.com last week out of curiosity of what it would cost on a normal policy and i got quoted 1600.
Old 23 January 2008, 10:13 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyDAZZA
agree
AF were double what i'm paying with warwick davis
they quoted me almost triple, and i had been with them for years, told them where to stick it
Old 23 January 2008, 10:25 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

I tried confused.com also and found the difference in prices ridiculous i am 34 with 10 years no claims and found the cheapest quote for my sti v2 import was 500 quid for the year fully comprehensive through endsleigh.. Admiral was 700 quid and some wouldn't insure me unless i had a tracker fitted even though the car has a cat 1 alarm and immobiliser
Old 23 January 2008, 10:27 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by killerscoob
Personally I wouldnt spend 3k On a sport when you can buy the real thing for the same price, lets Be honest.. could you really handle the power anyway of a wrx/sti at the age of 17 you wont have much expierence of actually driving quick cars, My Advice is to build up your no claims and wait untill you get in your twenties before buying one, Iam 32 and still paying 600 with 10 years ncb, Sorry for a putting a downer on the subject but it's the truth.
Good luck anyway
In all honesty mate I think you`re missing the point I was trying to make. At 17, the 1.5 would be reasonably cheap to insure so the OP could benefit from the looks and to a point the sound of a scoob, without the downfalls of wrx or sti insurance. You say yourself could you really handle the power of a wrx/sti at 17. At least this way it would be possible for the op to build up his no claims while still driving a scoob. The fact its not a turbo doesn`t make it any less real
Old 23 January 2008, 10:54 PM
osborne
Scooby Regular

im 19, had my scoob since just after i turned 18. got insured ok.
Just depends if your willing to pay alot.

Mines a wrx import. All mods declaired that are things lick apexi avcr, apexi power fc, exhaust (all parts including manifold) air filter intercooler etc.

i still got insured.

Helps alot to have a good alarm an tracker
Old 23 January 2008, 11:13 PM
wezy
Scooby Newbie

Hi again, A lot of people are saying learn to drive etc, i used to do motocross when i was 15/16 years old and i got to 12th in the british championships, after 10 years of ridin i ended up brakin my wrist and then my arm so left me 16th overall. Whether you believe me or not is a diff story but all im trying to say is i aint no street idiot, i would put my foot down but im always on the ball, i dont just do it to show off. I can understand where your comin from because the average 18 year old just want speed, i had my speed whilst racing so to me its more of a passion having a subaru. Sorry to write a story but i just want you to know that i wont be hitting 140 on a local street Anyway, i did a quote on confused.com saying that i was 18 with 1 years NCB which i will have in april and the best quote fully comp was £4700. That was for a 1996 Subaru impreza WRX. I tried it for a Subaru impreza turbo and it went up by £1000. Im really tempted about getting one now because i could just about pay it off using money from my current car and money from what i am saving. What do you guys think? Thanks wez
Old 23 January 2008, 11:15 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

£4700 a year? you`ve got to be joking mate, you can pay it off this year, but what about next year?
Old 23 January 2008, 11:19 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Something like an STi or even an import WRX is a lot for your first car and the last thing you want to do is end up in a ditch because you lacked the experience to handle the car (going from 70+ bhp to 270+ bhp is big jump).

Saying that, work out your finances, if it looks good and you think you can afford the outlay without putting yourself under financial stress then try out something like a 2 litre Sport, enough power to enjoy the car and has a fair few fans (Imprezasport.net).

Don't let the sport put you off, will give you a grounding in scoobies and get let you build up some experience and ncb's before you make the jump to something a bit more powerful like an import WRX or an STi.

I didn't buy my first powerful car until I had 3 years driving under my belt, then I had some crazy cars like the Nissan Cherry Turbo and Mazda 323 Turbo (two cars best forgotten) lol
Old 23 January 2008, 11:25 PM
wezy
Scooby Newbie

yeh i was really suprised at it being under £5000. It was with endsleigh aswell. I have got a 1.2 clio 2004 model at the moment with 14k miles on the clock, 1 lady owner before me so i can get £4-5k back on that, hopefully buy a subaru for £2-3000 with decent miles on the clock, and then pay my insurence off with whats left and then rely on my wage to finish it off monthly. Its alot of money but i'd rather spend it on a car and go to subaru meetings, meet other drivers who can gimme tips on the best garages to go to etc, the little things that when you meet other people they can point you in the right direction. Im going to give that sommat micheals a ring tomorrow insurence company and see what they come up with.

Quick Reply: 18 year old got a chance?