Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well and truly stuffed

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2007, 04:50 PM
Moaf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well and truly stuffed

Hi, new to the forum so Hello

My car was stolen by somebody who I knew ( although not related or anything) back in July. My insurance company and broker refused from day one to have anything to do with it

I'll start from the beginning. Basically, had a drink one night with this girl. Few weeks later she asked if I could give her a lift to her sisters birthday, which I did. I went home and got a taxi into town. When I got home the car was gone. The Police found it in with her behind the wheel having been apprehended by some member of the public. She has been to court, charged with TWOC, Drink driving, no license or insurance and fined an appaling figure of £200, job done. The car is a P1, or should I say, was.

Right, the insurance broker wanted nothing to do with it from the start. The loss adjuster told the insurance company she was my long term girlfriend. My insurance company said they won't pay. No survey of the car has been done so I don't know the exact damage apart from the obvious (body, engine, suspension etc all buggered). I complained to the Ombudsman, who have deemed the policy fair (??????????). For information, the broker is very well known on this forum - an absolute shocking company.

My question to you all, is, if anyone can think of my next plan of action I would be most grateful. My car is or was, worth a lot in both money and sentiment to me. I find it completely unfair that a policy costing £1057 a year can have a clause saying basically if you know someone they won't pay. My milkman could have done it, they wouldn't pay. Crazy.

Thanks
Old 04 December 2007, 08:35 PM
MarkGArgyle
Scooby Regular

Gutted sounds like a bummer - I would say that surely if she has been convicted of TWOCing the car then it is theft - it doesn't matter if she was your mum or auntie doris?

How did the loss adjuster prove that she was your long term girlfriend? Impossible again I would think unless the car was full of her CDs /posessions etc (the same trick pulled to confirm when young drivers put their parents as the main driver of the vehicle).

Not much help I know but let us know who the company is - if they are on this forum then they could be getting a lot of business - cheap quotes are nothing if they don't pay up.

If you don't want to name and shame then drop me a PM as I am looking for insurance and will avoid them.

Good luck
Old 04 December 2007, 11:05 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Ombudsman has said it was fair then you are stuffed.
The next action is to sue the girl(friend?) for damage caused.

BTW, how did she get the keys from you?
Old 05 December 2007, 05:12 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Butty
If the Ombudsman has said it was fair then you are stuffed.
The next action is to sue the girl(friend?) for damage caused.

BTW, how did she get the keys from you?
I hope she used the standard womans tool kit - sex and alcohol ....please tell us Dont leave anything out I have tissues ready.
Old 05 December 2007, 10:07 AM
Moaf
Scooby Newbie

she got into my house while I was out and took the keys. Because I'd given her a lift earlier on they say it proved I knew her quite well, regardless. The company are pathetic. When you pay for FC insurance at a high premium, you expect to be covered. I may as well name them, so nobody else gets stuffed.

The company is Service Underwriting and was provided through A-Plan.

A-Plan are as much use as a chocolate teapot - a letter to the paper is going to follow this.

Last edited by Moaf; 07 December 2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling