Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car insurance for a 17 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2007, 12:17 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car insurance for a 17 year old?

Hi

my son is now taking driving lessons (don't say I haven't warned you!) & will hopefully pass his test before he is 18.

He is still in full time education so he wont be driving anything exotic. I have looked on the net for prices & they seem crazy. I tried,for example, a 1995 1.1 Fiesta & they wanted around 2 grand!!!

Anyone help? i.e. been through this yourself or any advice like putting kids on your own insurance.

Thanks in advance,I won't be getting rid of the scooby to pay for the little b*stard!
Old 13 March 2007, 12:31 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Apparently taking the Pass Plus thingy can lop off upto 25%... still ludicrously expensive though!
Old 13 March 2007, 12:32 AM
miff13
Scooby Regular

I'm sure I've seen an advert (Direct Line possibly ) where named drivers can earn no claims discount so you could insure in your name with your son as a named driver, the downside is obviously any claims will affect your no claims bonus.
Old 13 March 2007, 12:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I got my boy a 205 1.9 TD, put it in my name and put him down as a named driver. I have got full no claims and don't live on the outskirts of Baghdad and it was another couple of hundred a year. Premium is up for renewal at £430 with him and my daughter down as named drivers. AA wanted £860. With Frizzells. Good luck with the test,
Old 13 March 2007, 12:38 AM
***Nemesis***
Scooby Regular

Liverpool Vic quoted my 17 yr old son £1100 on a 1.1 Fiesta TPFT
Old 13 March 2007, 12:43 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ***Nemesis***
Liverpool Vic quoted my 17 yr old son £1100 on a 1.1 Fiesta TPFT

LV is basically the same as Frizzells. I expect that quote was for insurance in his own name?

TPFT can sometimes be more than fully comp
Old 13 March 2007, 12:54 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Try different cars too, things like fiestas and novas are very common with young drivers and insurers charge plenty. You may well find it cheaper for him to insure a larger, less desireable car. An apprentice we had at my old workplace got cheaper quotes for a 1.6 or 1.8 (cant remember which) cavalier than a 1.1 fiesta.

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2007, 01:24 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Tried today with the wife's insurer as her's is due next month, She pays £172 F/C per year with me on the policy for a Renault Laguna 18 RN 1995 model i enquired about putting my 17 1/2yr old lad onto the poilcy to give him some extra lessons and they came back with £140 per month needless to say he can carry on with 1 lesson a week and ride his scooter in the meantime

Im hoping like you that he passes his test before he is 18 (sept) as at the moment he rides round on his scooter, and if he makes it till sept without making a claim he will have 2yrs NCB, now Direct Line will actuallly honour the 2yrs ncb he has earned on his scooter and transfer it to the car he insures with them which is a pretty good as i don't know any others that will do this.

Does anyone know of any other companies that will allow NCB earned on a bike to be transfered to a car policy ?
Old 13 March 2007, 10:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Put it in your name as a new policy for a year. He can start to earn ncd when he's older, plenty of time yet.

Try Quinn Direct.

Alcazar
Old 13 March 2007, 01:57 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Hi

my son is now taking driving lessons (don't say I haven't warned you!) & will hopefully pass his test before he is 18.

He is still in full time education so he wont be driving anything exotic. I have looked on the net for prices & they seem crazy. I tried,for example, a 1995 1.1 Fiesta & they wanted around 2 grand!!!

Anyone help? i.e. been through this yourself or any advice like putting kids on your own insurance.

Thanks in advance,I won't be getting rid of the scooby to pay for the little b*stard!
2 grand fully comp?

Or 3rd party because if that was fully comp you should take it and run. My younger brother has just bought a 1.4 seat ibiza sport and going by confused.com it seems like all insurance companies want over 4 grand for him

He wants me to insure the car for him now but im not doing it
Old 13 March 2007, 02:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiLover
2 grand fully comp?

Or 3rd party because if that was fully comp you should take it and run. My younger brother has just bought a 1.4 seat ibiza sport and going by confused.com it seems like all insurance companies want over 4 grand for him

He wants me to insure the car for him now but im not doing it
Confused.com=waste of space.

They only seem to go to the bigger, more expensive companies.

Get the kid sat in front of the computer for an evening, I'd wager a tenner he can get something MUCH cheaper

Alcazar
Old 13 March 2007, 03:11 PM
k.b
Scooby Regular

elephant.co.uk are good.

they are who i insured my first car with at 18 years old.was a seat ibiza cupra sport 2.0l 16v and it only cost me 1450 for the year.it might sound a wee bit but at that age with that car,one years driving experience and no ncb i thought it was pretty good.
Old 13 March 2007, 03:24 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Confused.com=waste of space.

They only seem to go to the bigger, more expensive companies.

Get the kid sat in front of the computer for an evening, I'd wager a tenner he can get something MUCH cheaper

Alcazar
I have been hearing that confused is utter tosh, but insurance premiums have gone up rapidly it seems for young drivers. Back in september 06 he was getting quoted 3.5 grand on 2 liter bmws and audi's but it seems like they have bumped the rates up rather significantly since then. I did read in the financial times or some other paper that insurance premiums were gonna go up 20% in 2007, but it seems like more than that.

Will have a sit down with him tonight as you say though.

Last edited by AudiLover; 13 March 2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 13 March 2007, 10:23 PM
Holyterror72
Scooby Regular

Had some good quotes from moneysupermarket.com. May be worth a try.
Old 14 March 2007, 06:56 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

My brother found some insurance now for 2.8 k with directline. He will probably go with them, unless moneysupermarket is any cheaper.
Old 15 March 2007, 06:10 PM
little rick
Scooby Regular

Myself and all of my mates went with Direct line as they were by far the best for all of us (although that was about 8 yrs ago) - get him to ask his mates who they're with and there could be a pattern

The whole 'named driver earns no claims' is a good way to go - does that work for a learner?
If so, are you thinking of teaching him and buying a run about to do it in? A lot of insurers do the first year for 10 months (if that makes sence) so he could have 1yrs ncb not long after he passes (depending how long it takes)
Not sure any of that works but might be worth the question
Old 16 March 2007, 04:04 PM
totalllama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Hi

Hi there,

Yes insurance for the younger people is very rough - especially at 17. I find confused very poor for a quick comparison, try Money Supermarket please note that this search doesnt go to every insurer so you can still look around further.

Admiral are good for younger drivers too - they insured me at 19 on a Pug 206 GTI 180 (group 17 car) - although the premium was around £1500 for the year. Im still with them and they havent been bad although ive never had a prang.

Another tip is if your son is the policy holder, add yourself or preferably the wife (even better, insurers love women as they only crash in carparks ) to the policy the premium will be lower by several hundered. If the car is older i.e. 1995 plate, do you really need fully comp insurance, can you do with TPFT? There is a urge to have yourself as the policy holder and him as a named driver, its personal preference and I done this when I was 17-18. Wish I had bitten the bullet and started earning my NCB at 17 though, although im not sure how these new 'earn NCB as a named driver' schemes work - they may be worth a shout.

Always keep an eye on excesses - under 21's normally have to pay £350-£500 compulsory AND any voluntary.

Im 24 with 3years NCB, looking at paying 1200 fully comp with no voluntary excess just 100 compulsory on a 2001 WRX wagon. This is with Admiral so you can get a good deal

hope this helps
-J