Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A claim that wasnt a claim...is it still no claims??

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2007, 04:07 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A claim that wasnt a claim...is it still no claims??

I recently made a claim after getting hit by a skip lorry and after being told i have to accept 50/50 liability i told them to shove it up their A-hole and wrote to them to say i wasnt going thru with the claim.

As no repairs or money were spent out i would assume i still have no claims? As i am now changing insurers and they want proof of no claims from my current insurers and wondered if this would be mentioned and go against me?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i dont trust how insurance works at times!

Anybody got any ideas? Many thanks
Old 17 January 2007, 06:51 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

Old 18 January 2007, 02:19 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Your no claims may be on hold pending whether the skip driver claims off your insurance - it sounds like they have agreed you will be liable for 50% of his costs?

If Mr Skippy is not persuing any claim then you should have full no claims still but you will have a new accident/incident to declair when they ask.
Old 18 January 2007, 03:10 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

The skip driver isnt making a claim as far as im aware as his big **** lorry didnt get damaged. I have cancelled my claim so expect not to lose any no claims from what i heard from a friend today. As for declaring i had an accident, when would i do this as i have signed up online but it didnt ask for that just about claims.
Old 18 January 2007, 04:59 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

2pac,

The wording of their question as to claims will probably say "incidents, whether a claim made or not"

Either way the incident occurred and there is always an overriding question that forms part of Insurers declarations, which requests any other relevant material information - which this is.

As boost says, with a 50/50 settlement your Insurer will be anticipating a payout for Third Party costs (ie. skippy) and would have the claim/incident listed as open/outstanding, which would mean your NCB would be reduced until settled.

To settle the incident you would need to formally advise (ie. in writing) your Insurer that you will not be claiming for damage to your own vehicle within the incident, along with confirming in writing that you will indemnify them against any Third Party costs (ie. skippy's costs) arising from the incident.

In the worst instance, with the claim being 50/50 you would be picking up 50% of skippy's costs, which from what you say sounds like 50% of nothing.

Hope this helps..

Tony
Old 18 January 2007, 09:12 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

Thanks tony that all makes sense. I have written to them last week to tell them that i will not be going thru with the claim and want it stopped asap. At no point have they informed me, or skip mans insurers informed me/them that they are claiming aswell so i dont think there will be any costs.

I have now written to my insurers asking for proof of no claims as my new insurers want it and im assuming if they keep there admin up to date (which they havent in the past) then it wont be a problem.

Thanks for clarifying the situation.
Old 19 January 2007, 08:49 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Thats ok 2pac..

Hope it all works out for you

kind regards

Tony
Old 19 January 2007, 09:02 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

2pac,

A similar thing has happened to me, which Insurance company are you with at present ?

If they are the same company, I am wondering whether they do the same thing everytime !!!
Old 19 January 2007, 11:45 AM
2pac
Scooby Regular

Im with Tesco. I received a letter in the post today from them saying it will be marked down as a claim, so i now have to contact my new insurance (directline) and tell them i do have a claim afterall, im going to looright ***. I dont understand why it would be put down as a claim if i didnt go thru with it??
Old 20 January 2007, 09:52 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Because the third party could still follow through with a claim, I would imagine.
Old 21 January 2007, 10:17 AM
kensa
Scooby Regular

If i remember corrcectly tesco insurance is direct line....just a cut down version sold through tescos..

I'm also in the same position as you and insured through direct line so it'll be interesting to see what happens on my renewal..
Old 22 January 2007, 09:04 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kensa
If i remember corrcectly tesco insurance is direct line....just a cut down version sold through tescos..

Ok.. to explain

RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) are the owners of Direct Line, who in turn own Churchill as a subsidiary.

Privilege are again owned by RBS and were formed as the 'wild side' of Direct Line, initially targeting higher risk profiles. Privilege trade separately from Direct Line but are part of the same group (ie. the stationary looks uncannily similar).

Both Direct Line and Privilege are established entities and control a considerable slice of the UK personal lines Insurance market.

UK Insurance is A Subsidiary of Privilege, who specialize in 'white labelling' (provide generic Insurance solutions for other brands) products for large manufacturers/companies using their (rather than UK Insurance) brand presence. They Provide Motor & Home Insurance for a number of companies, under the banner of the respective brand - their customers include Barclays & Tesco.
Old 22 January 2007, 05:21 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I love the way the insurance industry tries to make you think you are using another company