Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im gonna insure a punto van fully comp, does this mean i can drive any car 3rd party?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2007, 09:23 AM
donny_daz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im gonna insure a punto van fully comp, does this mean i can drive any car 3rd party?

Please could you help. Ive just bought a cheap punto van to knock around in (scoob off the road form a few months) and was wondering if i insure it fully comp can i then drive any other car third party?

Lots of people i no do this but im not sure? Its not just a scam to drive the scoob 15k a year and leave the punto on the drive, its a genuine need to drive other cars the odd time here and there !
Old 13 January 2007, 09:29 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by donny_daz
Please could you help. Ive just bought a cheap punto van to knock around in (scoob off the road form a few months) and was wondering if i insure it fully comp can i then drive any other car third party?

Lots of people i no do this but im not sure? Its not just a scam to drive the scoob 15k a year and leave the punto on the drive, its a genuine need to drive other cars the odd time here and there !
I believe most companies won't give the driving other cars on a commercial policy, so if you do insure it make sure it is done under a private car scheme (quite a few companies will do 2 seat vans under private car)
Old 13 January 2007, 07:06 PM
donny_daz
Scooby Regular

does anybody do this
Old 14 January 2007, 10:04 PM
GreenTurbo98
Scooby Regular

You can only drive another car 3rd party on your insurance if that car is insured. I.e is owned by someone else and insured by them.
Old 14 January 2007, 10:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenTurbo98
You can only drive another car 3rd party on your insurance if that car is insured. I.e is owned by someone else and insured by them.
Correct, as in theory you are insured whilst driving the car, but once you step out the vehicle you are commiting the offence of leaving an un-insured vehicle on the public highway

Last edited by Moley; 14 January 2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 16 January 2007, 07:30 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Originally Posted by donny_daz

It does not matter what cover you get on said vehicle (Comp, TPF&T or TPO), The driving other car extension is not a comprehensive benefit, its an insurance benefit. Aslong as you meet whatever insurance companies criteria they may have you will get this benefit. Usually driven by age and occupation.

As Moley says, restricted to private car insurance policies.

simb
Old 16 January 2007, 07:50 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

why would you want to? wouldn't it be deemed as a sort of deception should you get found out? If you can't afford the insurance properly then should you drive the car?
Old 16 January 2007, 11:07 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
why would you want to? wouldn't it be deemed as a sort of deception should you get found out? If you can't afford the insurance properly then should you drive the car?
It's a benefit for emergency purposes, bit this is often overlooked and flouted
Old 16 January 2007, 11:19 PM
prince_of_tokyo
Scooby Regular

make sure your scooby or other high performance is not under your name, as you can drive a car not owned by you as long as you have owners permission...
Old 17 January 2007, 03:42 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by simb 2
It does not matter what cover you get on said vehicle (Comp, TPF&T or TPO), The driving other car extension is not a comprehensive benefit, its an insurance benefit. Aslong as you meet whatever insurance companies criteria they may have you will get this benefit. Usually driven by age and occupation.

As Moley says, restricted to private car insurance policies.

simb

Correct & seconded... or is that third'd
Old 17 January 2007, 04:08 PM
colinversion8
Scooby Regular

wot if the second car is in ur name but insured in someone else's name?would u still b able to drive it covered via ur 1st cars policy?
Old 17 January 2007, 05:01 PM
colinversion8
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 17 January 2007, 05:06 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Colin,

The driving other cars (TPO cover) extension is designed for emergency rather than everyday use, for vehicles that are not owned, belonging or registered to you.

So to answer your question, if the car is registered to you the cover would not apply.
Old 17 January 2007, 05:07 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by prince_of_tokyo
make sure your scooby or other high performance is not under your name, as you can drive a car not owned by you as long as you have owners permission...

And you wonder why a number of UK Insurers are removing this emergency extension?

Its the minority that will ruin it for the rest of us .
Old 17 January 2007, 05:11 PM
colinversion8
Scooby Regular

i bought the car last year and had it insured in my mothers name wit my name on the v5,and me named as a driver,but i hardly ever use it,i have another car which i use most of the time,so i was seein if i could git out of paying the extra £700 to name me when i only drive it a few times,and i dont really want to change the car to her name as this will add another owner to the car,any idea's
Old 17 January 2007, 05:25 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by colinversion8
i bought the car last year and had it insured in my mothers name wit my name on the v5,and me named as a driver,but i hardly ever use it,i have another car which i use most of the time,so i was seein if i could git out of paying the extra £700 to name me when i only drive it a few times,and i dont really want to change the car to her name as this will add another owner to the car,any idea's

But, if there is an accident involving this car and the insurance company request the VRD, they will want to know why the car is in your name and not insured in your name. This is classed as "fronting" and is frowned upon with insurance companies, they may or may not void your policy, depending on the situation. I would get it registered in your mothers name.
Old 18 January 2007, 12:13 PM
colinversion8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tony@Greenlight

And you wonder why a number of UK Insurers are removing this emergency extension?

Its the minority that will ruin it for the rest of us .
didn't like ur reply ,i have always had insurance on all my cars and i was just askin to c if there was any way i could save a bit of money as insurance isn't cheap,think ul find it's people wit no insurance,which i am not,who r ruinin it for the rest off us

there are a few companys who will insure the car in a different name too wot is on the v5,and my insurers are aware of the situation so i dont c anything wrong wit it