Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long can my UK car stay abroad?

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2006, 01:31 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can my UK car stay abroad?

Hi All

Been offered a job in the Netherlands on a 6 - 12 month contract

Really attached to my car so definitely not going to sell, but I'm wondering how long it can be over there from both a registration and insurance point of view. Currently insured with Adrian Flux but it will be up for renewal before I leave, but I'm always very limited by which companies offer decent quotes as I'm 22 with a modded car (Impreza non-turbo).

Cheers
Old 07 September 2006, 02:01 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

just at a quick glance mate, take a look at the links

Looks like you need a permit and 12 months seems to be the maximum permit length

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

there are some other pages that may be of interest to you here as well

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...eas/index.html

A call to your IC may well be useful to you as well

post detail as i wouldnt mind knowing, i have thought about contracting a few times in Holland, cheers

john
Old 08 September 2006, 08:19 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that John. Your first link refers to the International Driving Permit which is to allow the driver to drive in the listed countries and is nothing to do with the car, it is not required for the Netherlands. Second link has some useful info but not the exact things I was after. Cheers tho
Old 10 September 2006, 04:49 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

My dads mate has a house in france, he lives over there for six months of the year, i know he drives every time, so i know it can stay for at least 6 months. that said, i know he also has a french registered car as well.

Will ask him the next time i hear from him, not at all sure when that will be tho.
Old 10 September 2006, 05:05 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

Your insurance used to be valid for 30 days if you applied for a green card. This is no longer needed because your policy should cover you anywhere in Europe (apart from pikey places like Poland). Speak to customs about the car. Brit forces in Germany have to export and re register within 30 days, but we are over for years at a time.
If you have to export and reregister, remember to think about LHD lights and removal of mods and such. Lots of places don't allow any deviations from standard.
Old 10 September 2006, 10:45 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

6 months in Netherlands then you are meant to register the car there, but you can get round that by driving over a border and coming back in for another 6 months. The real limitation is your insurance, most companies only offer a green card for max 6 months, so you need to speak to them about extending the green card or extended european cover after 6 months. Other limiting factors are the MOT which can only be done in the UK as EU test is not the same.
You then end up with registering the car in Netherlands on a local plate and insurance. You cannot get valid local insurance for your british plate.
If you plan to drive back to the UK every 6 months then you could probably manage it without changing anything.

Currently, i work in Norway (part of the EUS) and ended up buying a car locally although i would have preferred my own car. But my stay is for 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Beastie; 10 September 2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11 September 2006, 06:59 AM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

When I was living in Germany (a few years ago, though), I got my car insured through a Spanish company to cover all of Europe (except England and Gibraltar!). Well-timed, non-German holidays meant I did not have to re-register the car as technically it was not in the country long enough. The insurance was arranged through the RAC.