Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't even get a quote!

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2006, 10:38 AM
sm9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't even get a quote!

Hi there,

I've just put a deposit down on a 54 reg WRX wagon, UK model, standard, with Subaru Cat 1 alarm, RAC Trackstar Plus and Clifford BlackJax, and pick it up tomorrow. I'm 26.

Car is shared with my girlfriend (age 24) and we use it 50/50 (genuinely), so it'll be registered and insured Fully Comp in her name (I've got a broken leg anyway so won't be driving for another 10 weeks, frustrating! ), with me as a named driver.

Both have 4 years NCD, no points, no convictions, and no claims in past 8 years or so. Car will be kept locked away in a garage overnight, in an L31 post code. Yes, that's L31, and not L1!

Have emailed Gary at Keith Michaels twice to see if he'll quote for us (i.e. just to see if it's worth giving him a call!), but not heard anything back. However, I'm guessing it's because he wants at least 1 year's experience of driving a performance car, so fair enough (but it would have been nice for him to confirm this with a quick reply).

Completed an online form for Greenlight, and they emailed back this morning to say that they can't quote because we live in a post code sector that they've had bad claims experience of in the past 2 years! I find this hard to believe and wonder where and how these statistics are compiled, and whether they've even insured anyone around here in that time! I know it's Merseyside, but it's not Liverpool city centre or some rough inner-city location, it's about 9 miles north of this in quite a nice area!

We're currently with Tesco and they want £1,167 for the year. Got six months left to run on the existing policy so will probably have to pay the difference (from a 1.4 Zetec Fiesta) for the remainder of the policy, get the extra year's no claims for my girlfriend, then try elsewhere (unless I can get a quote today which is substantially cheaper than the Tesco quote above, in which case it'll be worthwhile switching companies and starting from scratch).

Sorry for the moan!

Ste
Old 18 April 2006, 10:49 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Personally, I'd give Gary Moulson a ring...

It could be something to do with your g/f being 24 - don't they load premiums under 25?

I was insured for two years with Direct Line, who were quite competitive until I made the car look like an STI
Old 18 April 2006, 10:55 AM
Gary@KeithMichaels
Premium Sponsor

Hi mate

Didn't get back to you yet as i had to speak to a few different companies to see if any of them would quote (need to do this on week days).

Unfortunately after speaking to them this morning we would be in the same position as the other companies.

The only way around it would be to insurer the car for just yourself to drive, which means a lot more comapnies will quote. However, untill you have a years experience the prices will be high.

To be honest the best advice i can give it to try the direct companies for your first year, pay a lot (which is what i had to do aswell), and you should get a much better price next year

Sorry i can't help more

Gary
Old 18 April 2006, 11:38 AM
sm9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary@KeithMichaels
Hi mate

Didn't get back to you yet as i had to speak to a few different companies to see if any of them would quote (need to do this on week days).

Unfortunately after speaking to them this morning we would be in the same position as the other companies.

The only way around it would be to insurer the car for just yourself to drive, which means a lot more comapnies will quote. However, untill you have a years experience the prices will be high.

To be honest the best advice i can give it to try the direct companies for your first year, pay a lot (which is what i had to do aswell), and you should get a much better price next year

Sorry i can't help more

Gary
Hi Gary,

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for being impatient - thinking on, after emailing you on your home email address with a work related query on a bank holiday weekend, I shouldn't really be complaining...

I guess we'll have to take it on the chin then, which is fine.

On the other note, I am a bit frustrated about the post code issue. I'd like to see some real world statistics for this and maybe see a list of post codes and how many claims they had in the past year or two. A quick Yahoo search found nothing - do you know where this data comes from Gary and where I could see a copy?

Thanks mate,

Ste
Old 18 April 2006, 11:41 AM
sm9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
Personally, I'd give Gary Moulson a ring...

It could be something to do with your g/f being 24 - don't they load premiums under 25?

I was insured for two years with Direct Line, who were quite competitive until I made the car look like an STI
Hi James,

I told my girlfriend that I'd get her a 1.1 Fiesta to drive instead, but she was having none of it!

I tried to get an online quote for Direct Line, but they couldn't quote for me online and said I'd have to ring up instead. This is a bit weird as Tesco gave me a quote online no problems. Also, Tesco owns Direct Line and they're basically the same company I'm told, which is why their quote and buy websites look very similar.

Ste
Old 18 April 2006, 11:52 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Have you tried that confused.com thing? I tried it for mine last week, and the best quote was from Admiral, which was a saving of £150 over the renewal. Didn't get that in the end, but I have more options than you, by the sounds of it.
Old 18 April 2006, 12:49 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Greenlight Insurance, they sponser this section.
Old 18 April 2006, 02:27 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Another Direct Line person - v good.

Dan
Old 19 April 2006, 01:41 AM
sm9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
Have you tried that confused.com thing? I tried it for mine last week, and the best quote was from Admiral, which was a saving of £150 over the renewal. Didn't get that in the end, but I have more options than you, by the sounds of it.
Thanks for the idea. I think I've spoke to every insurance company today! The weirdest one had to be when I called Adrian Flux and they put me stright through to something called Call Connection. These guys kept putting me through to various companies for quotes, and as soon as I put the phone down, they were calling me back to see how I got on! It was like they were watching me with a secret camera!

Ste
Old 19 April 2006, 01:43 AM
sm9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nezz10
Try Greenlight Insurance, they sponser this section.
I tried them but they wouldn't quote for my post code. I'd love to know what their statistics were made up of...but that seems to be an insider trade secret and they're all keeping hush!

Ste
Old 19 April 2006, 01:50 AM
sm9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Another Direct Line person - v good.

Dan
They wouldn't quote me as they said my girlfriend had to be over 25 on this type of car!

Which is weird, as when I called A-Plan, they said it'd be £300 more expensive to insure me on the car (I'm 26) than it would be for my girlfriend! Each of us have 4 years no claims from previous cars.

At the end of the day, A-Plan were actually quite good and they beat my existing quote from Tesco by about £20 per year (unprotected, or by £120 per year with protection).

As we're six months into the existing policy (on a Ford Fiesta), we've decided to stick with Tesco until it's up for renewal, then switch to someone like A-Plan but with an extra year's NCD (and 6 months of driving a performance car, if that makes any difference).

One thing that annoyed us was that we couldn't switch to a protect NCD policy half way through, even though we've not claimed on this policy! I'm happy to pay the extra each month, but they wouldn't do it.

Oh well, cover starts today (Wednesday) and should pick up my first scooby later today! It's a shame that I won't be driving it myself for another 4-10 weeks as I've got my lag in plaster!

Thanks for the advice,

Ste
Old 27 April 2006, 04:25 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Could try privilege aparently if your partner lives at the same address you get a cheaper quote too
or what about A plan they were cheaper for me than privilege who weren't bad

Originally Posted by sm9
Hi there,

I've just put a deposit down on a 54 reg WRX wagon, UK model, standard, with Subaru Cat 1 alarm, RAC Trackstar Plus and Clifford BlackJax, and pick it up tomorrow. I'm 26.

Car is shared with my girlfriend (age 24) and we use it 50/50 (genuinely), so it'll be registered and insured Fully Comp in her name (I've got a broken leg anyway so won't be driving for another 10 weeks, frustrating! ), with me as a named driver.

Both have 4 years NCD, no points, no convictions, and no claims in past 8 years or so. Car will be kept locked away in a garage overnight, in an L31 post code. Yes, that's L31, and not L1!

Have emailed Gary at Keith Michaels twice to see if he'll quote for us (i.e. just to see if it's worth giving him a call!), but not heard anything back. However, I'm guessing it's because he wants at least 1 year's experience of driving a performance car, so fair enough (but it would have been nice for him to confirm this with a quick reply).

Completed an online form for Greenlight, and they emailed back this morning to say that they can't quote because we live in a post code sector that they've had bad claims experience of in the past 2 years! I find this hard to believe and wonder where and how these statistics are compiled, and whether they've even insured anyone around here in that time! I know it's Merseyside, but it's not Liverpool city centre or some rough inner-city location, it's about 9 miles north of this in quite a nice area!

We're currently with Tesco and they want £1,167 for the year. Got six months left to run on the existing policy so will probably have to pay the difference (from a 1.4 Zetec Fiesta) for the remainder of the policy, get the extra year's no claims for my girlfriend, then try elsewhere (unless I can get a quote today which is substantially cheaper than the Tesco quote above, in which case it'll be worthwhile switching companies and starting from scratch).

Sorry for the moan!

Ste
Old 27 April 2006, 04:31 PM
sm9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
Could try privilege aparently if your partner lives at the same address you get a cheaper quote too
or what about A plan they were cheaper for me than privilege who weren't bad
I don't think I called Privilege...

A Plan were the cheapest, they beat Tesco by about £20, but we decided to stick it out with Tesco anyway as we have another 6 months left on the existing policy from the old car (Ford Fiesta Zetec). In 6 months time, we'll hopefully have an extra year's NCD, then can start the job all over again!

Ste
Old 05 May 2006, 03:03 PM
GAZ77
Scooby Regular

Tesco, Direct Line, Privelege, Egg, Churchill and a few others i can't think of at the moment are all owned by the same company:- Royal Bank of Scotland, the rate they're going they'll be able to name thy're price cos they own so many!!!
Old 06 May 2006, 08:50 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Mate give A-Plan a call TEL : 01635 874646
Old 07 May 2006, 11:56 AM
steveho
Scooby Regular

i've always used liverpool victoria -cheapest around-not to concerned about mods either(providing they're not engine related)