Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INSURANCE IF NOT REGISTERED KEEPER?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2006, 06:45 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INSURANCE IF NOT REGISTERED KEEPER?

Girlfriend about to buy a new clio off the internet.You save roughly 1700 pounds off the price from renault.
Script is,car is pre registered,but you get car delivered to your house with delivery miles,full warranty,even pick colour and spec........
Because of the deal renault have with the lease company who are providing the car you opnly get the v5 in 3 months,something to do with the lease company not OFFICIALLY being allowed to sell the car on within 3 months of it beilg registered.(renault uk turn blind eye to this)
Question is...........although an invoice is supplyed with the new car proving ownership,with letter confirmation etc.....girlfriend still not got v5 for first 3 months and insurance always ask " are you registered owner and keeper of vechicle?" which presents difficulties?
any way round this?any one had this problem?
CHEERS
Old 08 March 2006, 07:26 PM
ghplumb
Scooby Regular

I bought a new Transit which after delivery I found out was Pre reg
Alot of arguments followed ( different story)
I used the van & insured it for 12 months up until I needed to Tax the Van I then got them to tax the vehicle as it was still in their name
V5 now in my name I never had any problems as long as you have a receipt or similar just wait for the V5 to come
I would rather than miss out on the deal
Graeme
Old 08 March 2006, 07:29 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

but surely insurance companies being the way they are,if say sods laws exists and the car gets nicked before the v5 comes through in 3 months,girlfriends name not being on v5,would they not try to not pay out or something?
in 3 months when v5 comes through,yes will register her as new keeper,but worried about the 3 months prior to recieving v5?
Old 09 March 2006, 08:38 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at this on a new MX5 - massive savings to be made - the Mazda Main Dealer has told me that I will not be insured (which I think is scare tactics).

One BIG point worth bearing in mind - and it could be important to you - Insurance Companies tend to replace a new car with a new car if in the first 12 months the car is written off ................................ they will ONLY do this if you are the FIRST Registered Keeper!!

Therefore if the car is written off you will only get the market value (which may be quite a lot less than the bargain price you paid)

Something worth noting.

Pete
Old 09 March 2006, 10:57 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I think this is a sticky wicket, you'd have to explain you are not the registered keeper. In the eyes of the law though, you should be.

Nelboy, surely you can get £1700 off at the local Renault dealer, or at least come very close.
Old 09 March 2006, 12:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The Main Dealers will feed you the usual bull**** line when you show them the Internet Price

"we can't even buy them for THAT Sir!"

Which is utter crap ... what they ARE saying is that they will not make AS MUCH as they want to!

But, of course, you doing them a favour by allowing them to do the very same Pre-Reg deal that they do on the internet ..... it's simply a numbers game - if the Main Dealer can take another car off the Manufacturer then the get a BONUS of many £1,000's!! THATS where you come in .... offering them a buyer for a pre-reg.

EVERYONE wins!!

The Registered Keeper issue should have been addressed on MANY occassions by the Insurance world!

Pete
Old 09 March 2006, 05:34 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

Renault dealer said nowhere near 7500 for new shape clio,nearest price they would offer was 8800!
REALLY REALLY stuck on where to turn,any one work in car insurance and can steer me in right direction.
I only get the v5 in 3 months!!!!obviously i will only become the v5 registered keeper then.
Old 09 March 2006, 07:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Ring an Insurance Compnay and simply ASK them!!

Pete
Old 09 March 2006, 09:36 PM
Sti_Pete
Scooby Regular

one reason why they ask if u are registered keeper is to stop kids buying a scooby or similar and insuring it in their parents name with them as named driver, insurance find out it's in kids name and don't pay out, if it got nicked you wouldn't have a problem as u just say that the docs haven't arrived back from dvla and as long as u have receipt for car then all is well.
Old 11 March 2006, 11:47 AM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

but if it did get nicked and i told insurance,documents havent arrived from the dvla yet,when they did come i would not be the registered keeper on the date i took the insurance out would i?
this may invalidate the policy?
Old 12 March 2006, 03:08 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

?????
Old 13 March 2006, 02:53 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pslewis
Ring an Insurance Compnay and simply ASK them!!

Pete

Good advice Pete..

Technically, there is no Insurable interest as the vehicle doesnt belong to you.

Our stance would be to offer cover with an Insurer that acknowledges lease companies.

We would require your purchase receipt, a copy of the log-book and a letter from the lease company explaining that you are the owner, with their acknowledging that in event of a claim you are to be the recipient of the payment.

Unfortunately it will be a hassle until registerred in your name, but the problem you have can be overcome with referral to underwriters and the aforementioned information.

Kind regards

Tony
Old 13 March 2006, 07:01 PM
nelboy75
Scooby Regular

cheers tony,could you give me a quote for the girlfriend?
email is neilhoney838@hotmail.com
thanks