Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much for Morrettes (via Tesco)?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2001, 11:35 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just been "clarifying" my quotation from Tesco for a MY01 with PPP and Morrettes.

Initially they said GBP846-30, but today, after confirming the registration plate, it shot up to GBP920-85 - due, apparantly, to the lights which are down as "spotlights", which were the closest match to Morrettes on their computer.

Bearing in mind that "Morrys" are only a few hundred quid, and probably not much more than the standard lights in value, does this really justify a SEVENTY FIVE POUNDS A YEAR increase in premiums???? Especially as the GBP350 excess will nearly BUY a set of morrys in the first place!

Oh, and before you ask about the Tracker requirement, i have been told by two separate Tescies that the standard MY01 security is enough. I am sure that the Trading Standards, Insurance Omby and Which? would be very interested should this become mandatory in my policy!!!

mb

p.s. If they insist in the extra for the lights, i think that i will fit some SUBSTANIAL spotlights
Old 16 October 2001, 06:16 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

A bit more info...

It seems that the "Team Leader's" opinion that the Morrettes were the reason for the increase in premium was wrong.

After speaking to the underwriters, it seems that my post-code is "split" across two areas of different "risk". Luckily i appear to be in the cheaper area, so i accepted the quote this morning.

mb
Old 23 October 2001, 02:16 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Boomer,

Glad you sorted it!!!

Just to clarify, im an MY01 PPP person as well and tesco's (whilst muppets) seem cheap.

How did you explain the PPP to them (i'll try the same as you did!!)??? Ive had difficulty with other firms not knowing what it is!!

Jza
Old 23 October 2001, 06:26 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Jza

Tesco understood what PPP was when i first mentioned it (unlike just about every other "direct" company). On the policy document the engine mods are described as "Chipped Management Systems, Exhaust Change - Performance Upgrade Increased by Up To 10%".

Hope to get it (the PPP) fitted in just over a week, at the 1000 mile service. This will mean that my "big grin" will increase in one large amount, rather that two little ones (post first-service and PPP-fit).

mb
Old 23 October 2001, 06:30 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Red face

...oh, and when i took out the policy, i also went for the Tesco Breakdown Assistance, which seemed a good deal at the time.

Dooh - you get three years (Europe-wide) cover from Subaru anyway!!

Luckily i have 14 days to cancel my Tesco Breakdown cover (FOC).

mb
Old 24 October 2001, 03:02 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Cheers Boomer - thats gonna make life easy in a few months time!!

Were they the best £ for you?

Jza
Old 24 October 2001, 07:24 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Jza,

i'll try to post my findings some time, but yes - Tesco were both the cheapest and probably the most knowledgeable of the "directs". The policy was clear as well, so less chance of any confusion or ambiguity in the event of any claim.

mb
Old 24 October 2001, 07:30 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

BTW,

the biggest "problem" that i had when trying to get insurance was NOT having a personal no-claims discount. Although i have not had an accident (or theft) in over ten years, because this was in a company car - it doesn't (easily) get recognised. My Tesco quote was with ZERO no-claims (and thus no no-claims protection), but an introductory discount on providing a letter from my previous insurer (covering the last 5 years).

mb