Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They dont know my car

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2006, 08:16 AM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They dont know my car

Hi,

I've been going through a claim for 3 months now with Elephant. After many hours on the phone i was finally happy with they're offer. That was till i found out the offer was based on 4 door STi's when i've got a ver.6 type r v.ltd. Now i just get fobbed off when i phone to speak to the handler and even when i ask to speak to a superior they're always in a meeting or not in. Should i keep chasing this up or just accept the offer and be done with it?

Must have raised the phone bill a fair bit with this and i would be happy with their offer but cant help thinking i should be entitled to more now. I've explained to them what car i have/what they insured me to drive but am dealing with idiots who dont even know what cars they are insuring people to drive!

Any thoughts welcome.
Old 06 February 2006, 10:59 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Elephant have the worst customer service in the world - I've lost count of the the arguments I've had with them in the past. Probably the best course of action to take is to write to them or fax them, that way they have something physical to read, and it may get passed to someone higher than an "elephant handler". I always found I got the bnest response this way, and it avoids the conversation breaking down into an argument.

On the other hand, if they've offered you an acceptable amount for the car that you're happy with, and that would buy you a similar car to the one you lost.....what's the problem?

Brian
Old 06 February 2006, 11:04 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly to avoid the phone call costs go to www.saynoto0870.com and seach for their number. It will give you a freephone number to use:

02920 633621 or 0800 0522168 I think.

You have to decide if you are happy with the offer they are giving you, is it enough and do you think you will get more if you persue it? Find out how much your version is selling for in Autotrader and use that as ammo.

Always ask for the name of the person you are speaking and if they dont let you speak to their superior tell them you would like to speak to the complaints dept to report bad customer service. Failing that, you can ask or find out who id the CEO, chairman etc of the company and write to them/contact them direct about your issue.

Just out of interest, what does the insurance documnet say that they are insuring? Surely that have to replace to that value of whats on the offical paperwork!

Hope some of this was of help!

Neil.
Old 06 February 2006, 11:48 AM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

First off, i would be happy with what they are currently offering. However, after recieving a copy of 4 adverts for cars they based the quote on, none of them are type r's. Surely being a 2 door and not a 4 makes a difference in valuation? Even though i would be happy to accept the offer, i cant help thinking now that i could be entitled to more, and not just a couple of hundered pounds.

They are using the glasses guide for market value and i would be very surprised to find a type r listed in it. When the policy was taken out it the details of the car were given as a ver.6 (my00) wrx sti type r v.ltd. They were fully aware that it was a type r but i had to stress to them that it was a v.ltd and hence put a higher value on it accordingly. I've had a look at my poilicy documents for the 1st time due to being abroad and its listed as an sti import. Why this is i dont know, especially after having a very clear discussion with them as to what the car is. Why do they bother asking for the value of the car when taking out a policy (which effects the cost of the policy) when at the end of the day it doesnt make one bit of difference to them.

I've looked all over the net for similar examples, and cannot find 1 ver6 v.ltd. I've sent them advert's of ver.5 v.ltds and ra's all of which are advertised for more than they are offering. I could not buy the same model for a replacement with the money they are offering. Bottom line. Which is what they should be doing.

Now its a case of them basically ignoring me.

Should i just take the money and run?
Old 06 February 2006, 12:09 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

I would hold out for more IF you can't replace the car with the same model for the sum they are offering you. There's a ver 6 type R V-Ltd for sale here for £14995, albeit from a dealer but may be of use to your argument....

http://www.mackaytrading.com/fullvehicledetails.asp?region=&order=&Model=&Make= &notMake=&notModel=&BodyType=9&FuelType=&Transmiss ion=&intMin=&intMax=35000&RSpage=1&ID=25471&popup==

If you threaten to complain to the FSA who now regulate car insurance they may pull their finger out.

Brian
Old 06 February 2006, 12:18 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

I've seen that one already and there's a bit of false advertising i think. Judging by the interior and the vrn, its a ver.5 and not a 6. Think it was one of the cars i forwarded to them.

I've already threatened them with reporting the car stolen when the garage it was in to get a quote told me that the assessor had moved it half way accross the country to a salvage company as soon as he had seen it.....took them a day to phone me back with lots of apologies but kind of got the impression they weren't that bothered.
Old 06 February 2006, 12:19 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

And just to show how much of a clue they don't have, the cars they based there offer on were bugeye's!
Old 06 February 2006, 12:31 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

but you said you were happy with the offer.
so take it and move on
Old 06 February 2006, 01:24 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Think thats what i'm going to do tbh. It'll leave me with a fixed car and money in the back pocket. Just been left a bit confused by the whole thing.
Old 06 February 2006, 01:56 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

shouldnt worry, as long as your happy then go for it.
Old 08 February 2006, 04:43 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Well i've just had an increase in offer by £1550. And i'm taking it! Just goes to show that if you stand your ground and are justified to then its worth the hassle and the wait. I've managed to get an extra £3k over the original offer. Well chuffed!!