Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much difference does a tracker make?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2006, 12:55 PM
zcacogp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much difference does a tracker make?

Chaps,

I don't own a scooby, but am tentatively thinking of buying one. (To replace a Mk2 Golf GTi, which has been fantastic.)

However, insurance is (surprise surprise) pricey, and I am looking at ways of getting the quote down. I'm 30, lots of NCB (8yrs), but live in London and will be leaving it on the street. (Which is the expensive bit!)

Does fitting trackers make any big difference to the insurance situation? And how much do they cost, and what is the annual registration fee for a tracker? (As in, do the quotes come down more than the cost of the annual fee?)

All help appreciated, thanks.

Oli.

P.S. I use the same name on several forums - zcacogp - so if it seems familiar from pistonheads, or elsewhere, I am the same person!
Old 05 January 2006, 01:49 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

not sure how much it actually brings the cost of insurance down anymore. a lot of companies stipulate that without a tracker they wont insure you full stop.

I had the tracker monitor fitted to my car a couple of years ago, pretty sure the cost was something like £350 for the tracker including fitting, then annual subs of £90.

Alternatively instead of paying 90 per year you could make a one off payment of 300 for life. This may have changed.
Old 05 January 2006, 04:51 PM
andy10
Scooby Regular

Same as Fitzscoob. Not sure how much trackers lower the price of insurance but the tracker purchased last year was £449.00 with an annual subscription of £150.00. Worth every penny for peace of mind. Like you we park the car on the road but in Manchester
Old 07 January 2006, 10:06 AM
zcacogp
Scooby Newbie

Fitzscoob and Andy10,

Thanks for the input.

It seems that the best quote I can get is in the high £700's from Admiral (although I am aware of another thread on here about how rubbish Admiral are.) And this remains the best quote regardless of whether i have a tracker fitted or not.

Thanks for the advice though. Helpful stuff ...

Oli.
Old 10 January 2006, 01:22 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

try puting a female as a named driver if you have try saying you have use of another car buth droped mine by £200
Old 10 January 2006, 01:45 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zcacogp
Fitzscoob and Andy10,

Thanks for the input.

It seems that the best quote I can get is in the high £700's from Admiral (although I am aware of another thread on here about how rubbish Admiral are.) And this remains the best quote regardless of whether i have a tracker fitted or not.

Thanks for the advice though. Helpful stuff ...

Oli.
Hi Mate

There was one of my threads about Admiral kicking around for some time lol.

Personally, given the choice I would rather not have the car than get insured with them.

Have you tried A - Plan (thatcham branch) they are pretty hot on insurance.

Also worth talking to Gary (moleywrx on here) look for his details in the insurance section, as a fellow scoob owner he is hot on the quotes and knows what he is talking about.

All the best
Old 12 January 2006, 06:16 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

In my experience having a tracker only takes about £50-£60 off the insurance and the annual fee is over £100. I've twice decided not to bother with the tracker (especially as (a) they can drain your battery; and (b) you don't necessarily want your car back if it gets nicked).

See here for tracker info anyway.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2006, 11:54 AM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

It is generally Tesco and Direct Line who request that you have a tracker fitted. Any ideas why??????????????

Yes you guessed it, because they own "Tracker"

Si