Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to accept 1st offer?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2005, 08:21 PM
andyzxr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have to accept 1st offer?

Hi allDo i have to accept the 1st offer from norwich union direct has my car is a total loss?CheersAndy
Old 18 December 2005, 09:07 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell no...... negotiate til you're happy!!
Old 18 December 2005, 09:29 PM
andyzxr
Scooby Regular

I did try on the phone and he kept telling me about cars that are cheaper than mine.So i told him i would think about it.Andy
Old 19 December 2005, 09:29 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andyzxr
I did try on the phone and he kept telling me about cars that are cheaper than mine.So i told him i would think about it.Andy
Buy Autotrader/Top Marques and cut out examples of cars the same as yours and tell them that is the payout you expect....it does work!!!
Old 19 December 2005, 12:28 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Buy Autotrader/Top Marques and cut out examples of cars the same as yours and tell them that is the payout you expect....it does work!!!
Insurance companies will try it on by offering you the trade price. Obviously that is not the price you can buy a vehicle for, so as the above post suggests, get prices from well known motoring magazines and use those as the value for your vehicle
Old 19 December 2005, 02:13 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

It'd be worth trawling throught the classifieds on here aswell..... that way you can have pictures to put with the ad, don't you just hate even having to do it though... you shouldn't have to justify the value of your car....

Good luck!
Old 19 December 2005, 02:43 PM
T_H_E__c_R_O_W
Scooby Regular

dont ever give into them. They like to play games. I wrote off my last car and the offered me 2.5k for it. I laughed at the boy phone n told him they would be getting a letter asking for the correct value.

They just keep teying to not pay out in the hope that u will say fine then just to get it over and done with.

Trending Topics

Old 19 December 2005, 02:44 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

in a similar position myself with wifes car, turning out to be a bit of a mare, the engineer will not budge on his first offer, but we are going to persevere and hold out a bit longer.
Old 19 December 2005, 03:22 PM
beanybens
Scooby Regular

My previous sti 5 type r coupe(mint A1 car less than 26000 miles) was written off last April and the assessor asked me if i had a valuation in mind,i told him what i had paid for it(i had only had the car 8 weeks)which was £13200..at this point when he had picked his-self back up from the floor after collapsing in shock he told me the highest they were prepared to go to was £7000,so i told him politely to go away..
Two weeks passed and the assessor kept saying if i didn't lower my valuation they(the insurance co.)would repair the car after all.However knowing a little about car repairing/cost and availibility of parts i just told him to go ahead and as long as it was repaired to my satisfaction there wouldn't be a problem(i didn't want it back really!)
Eventually once the cost of repairing it had gone past the £10k mark they reluctantly paid me £12800 and i managed to remove my stereo/rear speakers+ a few other bits..
So it just goes to show how much taking the p*ss insurance co's do,but if you stick to your guns and your own valuation is correct and fair eventually you should get closer to the real value of your car...
Matt l
Originally Posted by bob r
in a similar position myself with wifes car, turning out to be a bit of a mare, the engineer will not budge on his first offer, but we are going to persevere and hold out a bit longer.
Old 19 December 2005, 04:02 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy,

Very sorry to hear about your car.
Absolutely not!
Don't agree until you're happy.
I was in a similar position several year ago (with a Rover 200!), and it's not a nice experience. I felt that I was bullied by my insurance company into accepting a very low valuation. Check the book values and then see what you can get them to agree to.

Good luck - and don't let them get you down...

Richard
Old 27 December 2005, 11:33 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I had my STI v5 stolen last year. It was recovered when they blew the engine up and abandoned it - not before they stripped the interior and made a right mess of it.

Insurance company wrote it off and offered £9K. I sent them many adverts for similar cars at £12K+ and offered to settle for £12K. I held on to the V5 to stop them disposing of the car before we had agreed a valuation and told them in writing I was doing this.

Their engineer refused to budge on his valuation, but also refused to offer up any evidence to back up his judgement. In the end I got an independent valuation which supported my assessment and they paid the £12K. They didn't help their case by writing to the DVLA to have the car transfered to their ownership while we were still in dispute (a civil not criminal offence according to the DVLA) then selling it on to a salvage yard - so I had them over a barrel at the end.

So stick to your guns provided you can come up with evidence to support your view of the value - but be prepared to chase them all the way and still wait a long time.
Old 27 December 2005, 11:57 PM
solosteve
Scooby Regular

dont take it,

your silly if you do, i mean real silly...

when mine got done, they offered me £3k under the asking price,
told them, nicley, to **** off,

then a week later...£1500 under the asking price,

then i told them you get me a car, same spec, same colour, same con,
and ill have a look, and buy it from you if i like it,

well the next....week...

they gave me all my money....

minus........ the policey money....
that ****ed me of....
so check that one...

good luck mate

steve
Old 28 December 2005, 05:26 PM
scooby24
Scooby Regular

All great advice ill be needing soon, just about to be offered a settlement sum on my written off impreza.

Thanks guys and i hope you get a good pay out andy