Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write off

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2005, 10:20 AM
matron22
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Write off

Help please! My daughter was driving my Impreza yesterday and was involved in an accident where the steering just went. The car turned over at least 3 times and is a write off. She's fine, thank God. The car is not! Its a write off. My question is, if anyone could help please, my ins. is fully comp and so I tried to claim, but was told if she was not a named driver (she wasn't) then I will have to claim on her insurance, which is 3rd party FT.

Does anyone know if I will be covered for the book price of the car under 3rd party insurance?

Many thanks if anyone could advise please.

Last edited by matron22; 17 December 2005 at 06:55 PM.
Old 17 December 2005, 10:24 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as I am aware, it only covers others people cars not their own. I might be wrong and hope I am.

glad your daughters ok though
Old 17 December 2005, 10:26 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't comment regarding your policy, but if it was mine I would not be able to claim I'd give the bill for repair or replacement to the driver.

Hope your daughter is OK.
Old 17 December 2005, 10:27 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

As shaggy says, I believe that if she's not a named driver on the Impreza and her insurance is only TPFT then I have a nasty feeling that it won't be covered...
Old 17 December 2005, 10:33 AM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

I believe 3rd party covers her driving another car for any damage she does to anyone/anything else while she's in that car, but not to the car she's in at the time. Not good...
Old 17 December 2005, 10:36 AM
matron22
Scooby Newbie

Default write off

Ok thanks for your help, I was thinking it would not be covered, problem is I have 3.75 years left to pay on the loan for the car!! OMG!!
Old 17 December 2005, 10:52 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matron22
Ok thanks for your help, I was thinking it would not be covered, problem is I have 3.75 years left to pay on the loan for the car!! OMG!!
The loan company won't be happy if it wasn't a personal loan to buy the car. If it was on finance they would have expected the car to be covered properly.

It looks like your best bet now is to break it for parts to recover as much cash as possible

Trending Topics

Old 17 December 2005, 10:56 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Third party fire and theft covers exactly what it says.

Sorry!
Old 17 December 2005, 11:31 AM
matron22
Scooby Newbie

Default write off

It was a personal loan specifically to buy the car, through my Bank. I've learnt a lesson anyway, as I thought I was covered on fully comp for any driver with my permission. Obviously not, but I didnt know that.

The loan will be fully repaid by me anyway, so I'm sure the Bank will have no opinion.

Thanks for your input to everyone who has replied.
Old 17 December 2005, 11:55 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I know it is of little help, but at least you still have your NCB, so you can still insure another vehicle without any fuss.
Old 17 December 2005, 12:16 PM
matron22
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that Moley, I needed a cheerful thought!! At least if I do get another car, I will put my daughter as a named driver and also I will insure my NCB which is currently 70%. Not sure if I will be able to afford another car, maybe a bike? lol
Old 17 December 2005, 06:17 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was a personal loan specifically to buy the car, through my Bank. I've learnt a lesson anyway, as I thought I was covered on fully comp for any driver with my permission. Obviously not, but I didnt know that.

The loan will be fully repaid by me anyway, so I'm sure the Bank will have no opinion.

Thanks for your input to everyone who has replied.
If that's the case then the bank won't give a toss what you've done with the car
Old 28 December 2005, 08:13 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Help please! My daughter was driving my Impreza yesterday and was involved in an accident where the steering just went. The car turned over at least 3 times and is a write off. She's fine, thank God. The car is not! Its a write off. My question is, if anyone could help please, my ins. is fully comp and so I tried to claim, but was told if she was not a named driver (she wasn't) then I will have to claim on her insurance, which is 3rd party FT.

Does anyone know if I will be covered for the book price of the car under 3rd party insurance?

Many thanks if anyone could advise please.
if you seriouly think the "steering just went" might be worth checking the UV joint, I had a nut from the down pipe fall off and lodge it self in the joint locking up the steering, may be if you could prove that there was a problem with the car you could take it further.... big maybe though but you havn't got much else going for you
Old 28 December 2005, 09:04 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Third party fire and theft covers exactly what it says.

Sorry!

Ian

I work for an insurance company and if i have interpreted the following correctly then you should be able to claim off your daughters policy.

You screw your daughters bonus but technically your a third party who lent her the vehicle so their could be reason to claim.

Its worth checking