Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Norwich union

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2005, 08:44 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Norwich union

just had ppp fitted to my my05 sti and after talking to the call center in india and trying to explain what ppp actually was ,i did get there in the end , it has cost an extra £65 which i was not unhappy about !!
Old 06 July 2005, 11:56 AM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, ringing to check the on-line quote is a nightmare! in the end I emailed the help line with a specific question;

my email;
Dear Sir,
I am considering purchasing the following car; 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti Type UK with a dealer fitted Prodrive Performance Pack. I ought to point out the car will be imported from an EU country with the Prodrive Performance Pack covered within the manufactures warranty. The details of the car and its accessories are shown here;
http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...6B012576955491
9D80256DDD003AF2C9/$FILE/03MY%20STi%20PPP.pdf
I would be pleased if you would note the important information on the second page, especially;
* Following installation of the Performance Package, cars can
be serviced in the normal manner. All service parts are standard Subaru items.
* Customers should be advised that most car insurers require
vehicle owners to inform them of any changes to vehicle specification.
Failure to do this may invalidate their policy.
Could you please confirm that the car equipped with this accessory pack is the vehicle shown on your on-line quotation system as;
IMPREZA WRX STI TYPE UK (PRODR
I presume the field does not allow for a longer name to be input.
Regards

The reply;
Thankyou for your email and sorry for the delay in responding.
I have checked the details and can confirm the car listed on our system is rated with the "Prodrive" kit. Assuming the car is the same spec as the UK equivalent model supplied by a UK Subaru dealer then this will be accepted.
The car does carry a restriction of over 25 year old drivers and carries a further £400 excess on top of the standard excess.
I hope this information helps,
Regards
Guy Goddard
Internet Support Team
Norwich Union Direct

So there it is: the PPP kit is listed.
Old 12 July 2005, 10:26 PM
neilbywater
Scooby Newbie

Angry Norwich Union Quoted me Very Unhappy

I'm purchasing a MY00 from Monty's Subaru Sheffield. It has a pukka PPP installed. I've seen the receipt, and I am getting the 1year Subaru Approved Waranty. So Subaru are okay with it being fitted.

I rang NU and got through to India sales office. I told them about the modifications, i.e. Exhaust/ECU Remap/Intercooler Piping and they sold me a policy for a premium of £515 (Not bad I thought as standard spec car was £389)

Anyway I rang NU Customer Service in the UK to get the Cover Note sent to Monty's directly for Taxing purposes.

While I was on the phone I thought I'd just ask the guy to check that India had got the Modification details correct, I said the word PRODRIVE to him (Big F. Mistake). He said India should not have quoted me for an Impreza with the PPP installed and cancelled my 1/2hour old policy immediately!!!!!

Now I've got to wait up to 10 days for a Refund.

I think they're taking the P*ss.

I do have 3 penalty points

I now can't seem to find a quote for less than £1000. Is this right. It can't be the 3 points because I got the £515 premium before I said PRODRIVE.

I'm 36, Married, Full NCB, Car is on Driveway, Tracker fitted, Live in Leicester, not exactly crime central.

What is going on?

From what I can see other people have got non-Subaru approved mods declared and have much lower premiums!

Any thoughts anybody

For now I'm going to pay an additional premium on my existing Insurance of £150 for 6 weeks until renewal. Hopefully someone can give me some tips.
Old 12 July 2005, 11:07 PM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

NU did come out the cheapest so far on the renewal quotes i've had for my MY97... however.... due to the fact that they use an offshore call centre (India as it happens but it doesn't matter where, just the fact it's offshore) then I will NOT be buying a policy from them. I'm prepared to pay slighty more to use a UK-based company - something I try to apply to all services I use.

I live in the UK, I expect to be able to buy a UK-based policy.
Old 13 July 2005, 08:06 AM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neilbywater
I rang NU and got through to India sales office. I told them about the modifications, i.e. Exhaust/ECU Remap/Intercooler Piping and they sold me a policy for a premium of £515 (Not bad I thought as standard spec car was £389)
Anyway I rang NU Customer Service in the UK to get the Cover Note sent to Monty's directly for Taxing purposes.
While I was on the phone I thought I'd just ask the guy to check that India had got the Modification details correct, I said the word PRODRIVE to him (Big F. Mistake). He said India should not have quoted me for an Impreza with the PPP installed and cancelled my 1/2hour old policy immediately!!!!!
Why should india not have quoted you? As per my mail in this thread, NU have confirmed that the car listed on the website is the PPP spec; I sent the full spec sheet to them to verify. What quote does the website alone give you?
R
Old 13 July 2005, 08:26 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

I've come to the opinion that with the exception of A-Plan and Subaru-Insured, you are far better off declaring the PPP as Exhaust + Engine Chip ~ 15%

I have spent hours on the phone over the past couple of years trying to get a policy that said "Prodrive Performance Pack" on it, and you just can't get one.
Everyone has "Prodrive" mentioned as a particular model of STI, but no-one knows what it means (including the underwriters), and you get different opinions of it depending on who you speak to.

For about 1 week recently my policy with Privilege said SUBARU IMPREZA P/DRIVE STI UK, which they will happily quote on a 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 model STI, and on the phone will happily agree when you say "does that mean PPP?" or "does that include the Prodrive gear ****" or "how about the Prodrive springs", but the actual Schedule will never describe any of it. They may even send you a letter saying exactly what you want to them to put, but still, phone again and you get a different story.

I paid the extra £140 to get a policy that listed the components, which made the total £660, which was still OK....
Old 13 July 2005, 08:54 PM
neilbywater
Scooby Newbie

Talking A-Plan is the way for PPP

Originally Posted by Rioja
Why should india not have quoted you? As per my mail in this thread, NU have confirmed that the car listed on the website is the PPP spec; I sent the full spec sheet to them to verify. What quote does the website alone give you?
R
The NU website auto quote was £389, but there was no way to specify the PPP option for the MY00 car. Their internet team said I should ring for a quote, but I not get the 20% online discount. So thats what I did. The rest of the story is given above.

Anyway I've just rang Rob (Darren was on Holiday) at A-Plan, a recommendation from this forum. He was very knowledgable and explained than some insurers quote the PPP at three modifications, Exhaust/ECU and Intercooler Mod, hence stupid premium. They are a company that understands what it all means, i.e. effectively only one modification, all working together to improve driveability. (He even claimed to have an Impreza himself and wanted to get a PPP himself)

The quote I got was £629 with Protected NCB, £250 excess. I was very pleased with this as I'd resigned my self to £1000.

I'd recommend this company to other Impreza owners with PPP installed. Hopefully if we get hime enough business he'll be able to afford the PPP for his own Scooby soon.

Thanks for all replies.