ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Norwich Union Private Car Club Insurance-Track Day Exclusion

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2001, 12:44 AM
Pirum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve,

This new revised wording came into effect on 1st August 2001 for all Norwich Unions (NU)Private Motor policies.

We have however discussed this in depth with them and following negotiations we confirm that NU will provide cover for Track Days - however this has to be underwritten on an individual basis...

The price for full cover (i.e. the full value of your car) would be £75.00 + IPT (£78.75 incl IPT) for a single event, covering only your own car (insured with NU) and restricting driving to those approved at the time of submission.

Cover would be for Accidental Damage only with a £1,000 excess fopr vehicle value upto £25,000....£2,000 excess for vehicles valued at £25-50,000.

NU have advised us that they will only provide cover for drivers over the age of 24...

This has been arranged via our agency for all our NU policyholders - I am not sure whether this arrangement has been extended to all NU Agents/Brokers...

Hope this helps...

Tom
Old 03 September 2001, 10:19 AM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

NU state on their new policy documentation the following:

Track Day Exclusion

To clarify our position on track days we have re-worded our certificate to avoid any confusion

"Use in any competition, trial, performance test, race or trial of speed, including off-road events, whether between motor vehicles or otherwise and irrespective of whether this takes place on any circuit or track, formed or otherwise and regardless of any statutory authorisation of any such event".

A trackday exclusion clause which doesn't exclude track days (SIDC type, Wheeltorque etc)? Or am I missing something.

Steve
Old 03 September 2001, 01:46 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Tom........thanks for your response.

I've checked with the broker who confirms your points, which is annoying because I don't presently pay any extra for Track Day cover under the current NU policy.

I was more curious as to why the revised wording doesn't specifically use the words "Track Day" as this is quite clearly a term of phrase they are familiar with and is something which is now specifically excluded.

Only 5 track days per year permitted too.

I'm told if you get your car certified for competition use by the RAC you can insure your road car under a competition insurance at a fraction of the cost. Know anything of this?

Steve
Old 03 September 2001, 02:30 PM
Pirum
Scooby Regular

Smile

I believe this is possible, howeever it is not something that I ever get involved with (basically I do not have sufficent knowledge to offer advice in that area )..however I believe the best person (IMHO) to speak to would be either Richard Eggar or one of his staff at Eggar Lawson...0115 941 5255.

I know a few people who have done this sort of thing before - but I believe that they still have to take out seperate insurance - tho not sure ????!!!!

Re restricting it to 5 events.....1st I've heard of that. As far as I am concerned if one of our clients requests cover...and subject to them not have a horrendous claims experience then we could provide cover for unlimited events...

Re the wording....no idea...you would have thought that including the words "track day/event" would have helped in making their otherwise confusing statement somewhat clearer!!

Any probs....give me a shout...

Cheers

Tom
Old 03 September 2001, 02:36 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Steve

I think Track Days come under "performance testing"
Old 03 September 2001, 02:40 PM
Pirum
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oi Puff....do ya want a job M8???

I've just re-read...and re-read the paragraph, and had just come to the same conclusion

(pics of the spoiler finally on members gallery )
Old 03 September 2001, 05:25 PM
Steve Prockter
Scooby Regular

Puff........surely testing implies some sort of documented trial of the performance rather than finding out your lap time has reduced, or the car feels better in the corners or something.

I read the clause as clarifying the excluded activities if you do participate on Track Days and I think the only testing to be done will be in a court of law, if you don't choose to take up their extra cover.

Steve
Old 03 September 2001, 05:41 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Steve

<I>The way in which someone or something functions: </I>

Not necessarily the best description/meaning I've ever seen but as Track Days are not competitive and you're driving as fast as you can/car can then it would be logical to assume that you are testing either the performance of the car or yourself.

It could be argued that if you went on a track day and drove like a complete granny within the National Speed limit, then you wouldn't be performance testing but what would be the point of that!

I think that Track Days are synonymous with "Driver Improvement" at the higher limits of a car's performance...

Dunno but that's what jumped out at me. I always insure my car separately as my 7yrs+ NCB is quite valuable to me.