Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesco's car insurance - BE AWARE!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2005, 09:32 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tesco's car insurance - BE AWARE!!!!!!!

My father is a Magistrate. He recently had a lad came up infront of him who had to drive a mates car back from a party as the lad was over the limit. No problem this lad thought, I have cover under my insurance. Only he didnt. He was covered by Tescos and in the small print it stated that it did not cover him for 3rd party on other cars!!!!! You have been warned!
Old 19 February 2005, 10:18 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Your only insured on other cars third party if it states so on your cover note. I'd have checked before hand personally.
Old 19 February 2005, 10:24 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
Your only insured on other cars third party if it states so on your cover note. I'd have checked before hand personally.
Tescos comprehensive policies do include driving other cars (third party)... but they only provide this to over 25's. This took effect from the same time they stopped insuring under 25's on Scoobs.
Old 19 February 2005, 10:31 AM
forest172
Scooby Regular

isn`t the third party cover only available with most insurance companies if there isn`t any HP on the car too?
Old 19 February 2005, 10:35 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Originally Posted by forest172
isn`t the third party cover only available with most insurance companies if there isn`t any HP on the car too?
Mine doesnt have any mention of that. Im with Tesco
Old 19 February 2005, 10:49 AM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by forest172
I'm with NU but all previous policies have been same... I'm insured to drive ANY other car 3rd party only as long as it doesn't BELONG to me. Thought this was standard stuff for a fully comp policy

Paul
Old 19 February 2005, 11:20 AM
Trickie
Scooby Regular

I am with TESCO and my docs say i am insured to drive any other car as 3rd party only !!
Old 19 February 2005, 11:37 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

I believe the reference to HP, contract hire etc only applies if the HP is in your name. I assume this is to close a potentialy loophole that someone might claim their car doesn't actually belong to them, it belongs to the lease company.
Old 19 February 2005, 12:28 PM
naturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trickie
I am with TESCO and my docs say i am insured to drive any other car as 3rd party only !!
AFAIK it's only to do with under 25's. My g/f used to have 3rd party on other cars a couple of years ago, but almost all insurers seem to have withdrawn this (for under 25s) - we haven't been able to find it anywhere for the last two renewals.
Old 19 February 2005, 12:34 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you not at least covered for personal injury - the legal minimum insurance you can drive with?
Old 19 February 2005, 12:54 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
Tescos comprehensive policies do include driving other cars (third party)... but they only provide this to over 25's. This took effect from the same time they stopped insuring under 25's on Scoobs.
That would explain it then as I'm 23
Old 19 February 2005, 01:22 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

The policyholder may also drive with the owners permission a motor car not owned by the policyholder and not hired or leased to the policyholder under a hire purchase or annual leasing agreement.
direct from policy
Old 19 February 2005, 04:43 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Misconception - That the 'driving other cars' section of your insurance has anything to do with level of cover. Whether it be Comprehensive, TPFT, TP etc, the driving other cars section is *always* Third Party Only. *always* other peoples cars (ie. not owned by you) and is dependant mainly on *which insurer you use*, but can also depend on the policyholders age and level of cover (this is down to the individual company and what the underwriter personally believes). Even then, it is only included at their discretion and will be excluded if they think you might abuse it for whatever reason.
Old 19 February 2005, 05:35 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Originally Posted by Stainy
Misconception - That the 'driving other cars' section of your insurance has anything to do with level of cover. Whether it be Comprehensive, TPFT, TP etc, the driving other cars section is *always* Third Party Only. *always* other peoples cars (ie. not owned by you) and is dependant mainly on *which insurer you use*, but can also depend on the policyholders age and level of cover (this is down to the individual company and what the underwriter personally believes). Even then, it is only included at their discretion and will be excluded if they think you might abuse it for whatever reason.

Agree, I can't believe how many people think they have 'DOC' if they are fully comp.

simb
Old 19 February 2005, 06:00 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
i agree, unless it says so in the big print ..dont assume as chances are it will say you arnt in the small print!

I left tesco cos they were naf with trackers. They kept loosing my certs and then sent me a stupid renewable even when i had been with them for years.
Not the cheapest in my book anymore

Andy
Old 19 February 2005, 06:06 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stainy
Whether it be Comprehensive, TPFT, TP etc, the driving other cars section is *always* Third Party Only
Generally but not "*always*". My father had a policy a few years back where it explicitly stated driving other cars was fully comp; not sure if he still has it. There may have been some proviso (like as long as it's no higher insurance grouping than main vehicle or something), but it was defintely there.
Old 19 February 2005, 06:19 PM
Impreza_wanted_need_info
Scooby Regular

No offense to any one on here...

But you have to be flipping stupid to drive a car third party.

Its full comp or nothing for sensible drivers
Old 19 February 2005, 06:42 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Just to add another dimension to this -

Borrowed a mates car for the week to come down south, we are both insured with tesco. We phoned them to get each other on each others policy for the week.

My policy does not state clearly that i may drive other vehicles so i asked the "advisor" on the other end. He says that i am because of my age (+25) but only in the case of an emergency. I asked him what was deemed as an emergency and he says "that would be up to the local constabulary."

Another mate of mine got 8 points last year for driving "uninsured" whilst borrowing a friends car. Again, assuming he had cover with tesco. Worst bit was the lad who lent him the car was also charged and up in court, sympathetic magistrate let him off.

I turn 30 in a couple of weeks and am gonna phone round, partly to get it cheaper and partly because i find every time i phone tesco i get a different story.

cheers
Ritchie.
Old 19 February 2005, 11:29 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Red face farse

Jeasus ive just read my docs from tesco and it says -

"Driving other cars - Please note that this certificate does NOT entitle you to drive other cars"

i always drive my G/F`s car when going somewhere dodgy (morrisons) i think i will ring them to see where i stand

Bloody 2 grand i pay and 350 quid of that is to protect the bloody no claims and i canot drive another car 3rd party only!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 February 2005, 07:31 AM
Little Miss WRX

Privilege insurance were the same too, not allowed to drive any other car under that policy.
Old 20 February 2005, 02:08 PM
D.C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
im 23 and i am insured through tesco on a sti 7!
Old 28 February 2005, 08:33 AM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Originally Posted by D.C

I think he means they have stopped recently excepting under 25's.

simb
Old 05 March 2005, 05:51 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

speak to budget insurance even if you are under 25 you can drive any other car 3rd party
Old 06 March 2005, 01:03 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D.C
As i understand it they are not taking on new customers under 25 on Scooby's
I'm also with Tesco's and I'm 24 (took out the policy when I was 23) so if this isn't the case i'm stuffed at renewal time!
Old 06 March 2005, 06:43 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
As i understand it they are not taking on new customers under 25 on Scooby's
I'm also with Tesco's and I'm 24 (took out the policy when I was 23) so if this isn't the case i'm stuffed at renewal time!
same here budget wont insure under 25`s

but tesco should still insure you as you are a current policy holder as i am currently 23 (took policy out when i was 22) will be 24 in july - they renewed mine last october after there age change

regards

Jud
Old 06 March 2005, 11:16 PM
wibb20
Scooby Newbie

Just for your info, i spoke to Tesco a couple of months back, and they said they would not insure under 23's on 17+ group car. I couldnt figure out why they wouldnt quote me, so rang 'em, and the helpful lady put me straight. I think you do need 3+ years NCB to get a reasonable quote. Well for me at least...