Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro write off - Is it worth claiming on my second car??

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 08:58 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retro write off - Is it worth claiming on my second car??

Hello,
advise most appreciated regarding the following.

I had a "moment" with my second car a 89 Golf Gti 8v on Monday.

basically I have an Impreza type R fully comp with LV and PNCB and the VW fully comp with LV.

this is what happened

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_p...TID=40898&PN=4

I spoke to LV enquiring as to the book value of the Golf they said it would have to be assesed using Glasses guide (which does not go back to 1989! apparently)

The situation of the accident - aquaplaning I assume can only be assesed as an own fault accident. I think the most payout would be 1000 less excess of 300 would leave me with 700 towards another car.

I have never had an insurance claim/ conviction etc. - but I am assuming that if I claim I should expect a hike in premium at renewal time.

Is it actually worth claiming - I am worried about how a claim will effect my renewals. Anyone who has experience of this please post.
Old 08 October 2004, 10:47 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Depends what no-claims you have at the moment and what you are paying. It you have full no-claims, you are probably getting about 60% off the full price. A claim generally knocks 2 years off your no-claims and drops the discount back to 40%.

As an example, if you are paying £300 at the moment with full no-claims, that equates to a full premium of £750. 40% of £750 is £300, so dropping your no-claims to 40% would make your new premium £450 and therefore worth claiming. Substitute your own figures to work out your position.
Old 08 October 2004, 11:36 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

From what I have read on the other forum. I would strongly agree not to make the claim, especially as no-one else was involved. Unless you cannot write off £900 worth of car. I would take waht bits off that were salvagable and if not getting another Golf sell these on E-bay. You may get some money back towards another car.