Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liverpool Victoria

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 08:48 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liverpool Victoria

Found this thread from another site tonight and thought it might be of interest as a lot of people use them.

http://bbs.sidc.co.uk/messageview.cf...12&STARTPAGE=1
Old 29 September 2004, 12:10 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I renewed mine in August.

Was advised when I first took it out that they didn't need to know about mods unless I increase the CC, just take photos and keep receipts in case of a claim. I made a note of the date and time as all phonecalls are recorded.

I am told by someone apparently in 'the know' that this is how they keep premiums down- by not having underwriters crossing every t and dotting every i.

They didn't indicate any change in my terms at renewal, so I'm keeping quiet.
Old 29 September 2004, 12:11 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

just to add my premium has gone up a bit though
Old 29 September 2004, 07:53 AM
trubwrx
Scooby Regular

i wrote to the Chief Executive of L&V about ten days ago asking for clarification on this 'modifications' issue and advising him to visit this web site to see the confusion his company is causing.
needless to say i have yet to receive the benefit of a reply or the courtesy of an acknowledgement.
i would suggest a few more people, with modified cars, who are insured with or have been quoted/confused by L&V also write to them and demand clarification.
in the meantime i can only advise 'be careful out there' if you are modified and with L&V.
Old 29 September 2004, 12:38 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

My insurance premium has gone up with L&V by about £70 from last year even though I've now hit the magic 30. I'm assuming that the price hike is because I declared my modified exhaust and wheels at the begining of the year.

Dave
www.scoobyphotos.com
Old 29 September 2004, 10:58 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

When I renewed my insurance last year with L&V, I informed them of my mods (PPP ecu and backbox) - no increase
At renewal time this year (sept) and following comments on here (i.e. no mention of Mods on insurance cert.), I thought I should check if they had my Mods listed on their system - took the lady I spoke to a few minutes to find the right 'screen', but sure enough she listed them exactly as listed last year. So they do record these things...!

Should add that I have made a note of the person I spoke to and the date/time etc.

And (just to make u lot green...........) my premium is £362.09!!!! (54/75%ncb/cheap area)

alan

p.s. - declare mods at renewal time!!!!!!!!

Last edited by albob; 29 September 2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 30 September 2004, 08:31 AM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
And (just to make u lot green...........) my premium is £362.09!!!! (54/75%ncb/cheap area)
May I be the first to say B4$t4r)!!

Dave
www.scoobyphotos.com

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2004, 02:09 PM
New_scooby_04

TubWRX,

Well done for going to the time and effort to do something official about this. Please do keep me informed of any response you get. I'm with L&V and have found them to be very reasonable so far and most helpful. I've several times asked them if modifications are acceptable and the response has been the same: no engine capacity increases, otherwise go for it, but keep all receipts and preferably photographic proof.

Given my mod- just an exhaust backbox- this policy would seem reasonable, but it's harder to reconcile this policy with more extensive mods that result in significant power upgrades!

Best.
Old 04 October 2004, 01:41 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Do "significant power upgrades" lead to more claims? The car already has 215-300bhp, does an extra 50 make that much difference? I can quite believe that people modifying have more interest in not crashing their pride and joy compared to company car drivers and their standard setup. Hence not much difference in risk. Presumably this is the sort of assessment that L&V have undertaken, coupled with reduced admin overhead.
Old 04 October 2004, 01:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Speedking,

I don't know mate, I would argue that there is something to that, depending on what group you're looking at: I wonder if it would apply to 19 year old dudes in maxed Novas?

Insurance companies don't generally see it that way, as they often either decline "performance enhancing mods" or want to know how much extra power (% increase) they yield, they then adjust the premium accordingly. Of course this may also reflect the increased desireability of the cars/parts to theives and the increase the the net value of the car. However, I think the general concensus amoung insurers would appear to be: more power = greater likelyhood of bigger payout!

Best.
Old 04 October 2004, 03:20 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Most performance enhancing mods (except BB) are invisible externally.
I think you'll find it's a case of "modded car = opportunity to increase the premium and the insured is unlikely to object"
Old 04 October 2004, 03:37 PM
New_scooby_04

True, and some of them are invisible to diagonostic tests as well, apparently! Hence why some people don't declare engine management upgrades!

>I think you'll find it's a case of "modded car = opportunity to increase the premium >and the insured is unlikely to object"

Quite possibly! ;-) Without seeing the statistics underpinning any increase in premium, it's difficult to comment, but motorists -particularly keen ones- are certainly cash cows! :-(

Best