Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance implications?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 01:28 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Insurance implications?

Just had 60,000 ml service carried out (not at a main dealer) to be told that the car had an uprated air filter. This was in the car when I bought it about a year ago and hasn't been changed/cleaned since, although it has had a service at S & S where it was purchased.

Could this have affected my insurance policy?
Surley I should have been notified of this when I bought the car?
Don't know what other modifications may have been carried out and don't really know where to start looking.

HEEEEELLLLLLPPPP!!!

S & S - more like clueless!
Old 03 June 2004, 01:47 PM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

modifications what are those ????
Old 03 June 2004, 02:18 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

If its an aftermarket replacement air filter, one that fits into the air box, then that wont affect your car insurance. If its a huge cone, induction kit, then that prob would affect your insurance, but i dont think it would really make much difference (IMO)
Insurance companies are more bothered about ECU upgrades etc, things that really up the cars power.

As for finding out about other mods, find someone with the same model and year car as yours, take it for a spin and see what it feels like, if it seems slower than yours then you know yours has other mods......somewhere. But where to look is another thing, if it is modded, the most common place will prob be the ECU, take it to the dealer and get them to read it, see what they say.
Old 03 June 2004, 05:09 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Its more than likely its only the panel filter that has been replaced on your car, which as the guys state will not effect your insurance. if you are worried about it, purchase the original air filter and leave it in the boot, and any mishaps,ie accidents ect, swap it over.
As for other mods, as you know most change the exhaust first, full decat onwards, to ecu, engine components., would not worry to much about it.
I would also get back onto S&S and see what they have to say to it. they should have checked the car over before selling and should have stated modifications.

Paul
Old 04 June 2004, 12:49 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

No it's not an air induction kit, I would have spotted that one. It was one of those filters that fits inside the air box.

Spoke to Greers about it last night when I picked the car up.
The only other apparent mod is the back box which I knew about anyway.
I suspected that if the ecu had been changed I would probably have no cat in the exhaust system, but the cat is still there.

I will also be getting in touch with S&S for what it's worth, but I don't hold out much hope there.

Thanks again,
norry.
Old 04 June 2004, 05:03 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

are you sure the panel filter will not affect your insurance.....check your policy first.
Old 05 June 2004, 06:55 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Any aftermarket Modification will or won't effect your policy, depending on each individual Insurance company. I would would ring them and find out.

simb