Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance claim payout query

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 09:01 PM
steve2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance claim payout query

Hello all

My insurance has offered me £10000 for my car less excess.
I have refused this offer and sent advertisements of cars to show them of what sort of money they are selling for.
They got back to me and said they will give me some kind of intrim payment(ie £10000 cheque) first to give me the bulk money, and the rest to what I am trying to claim will be sorted later.
Has anybody heard of this method as i was aware it should be all one agreed payment. They could say later that I have signed the form and returned my documents and offer me nothing else.

Any advise would be appriciated. (I am insured with Liverpool Victoria).
cheers
steve
Old 26 February 2004, 09:21 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

The couple of cheques I've had have said "as full and final settlement" in the letter.
You should be OK as long as the letter with it doesn't say that.
(Just my opinion and I know f'all really... )
Old 26 February 2004, 11:56 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

This is standard practice for some insurance companies and good customer service. Least you have the bulk of the insurance settlement, so you can start looking for another car and then tackling the insurance company for the rest afterwoods. Its better than waiting weeks of exchanged letters and phonecalls, trying to reach a final satisfactory figure, to then get the cheque.

simb
Old 27 February 2004, 08:29 AM
Akka
Scooby Regular

I've had a few claims, but they have given me all of the money straight away. Obviously you'll be going through a solicitor, whether it be your own, or their own recommendation, so I'd get in touch with them and see what the score is...........If you're claiming off the other party. Seems odd to me though.

Check, check and double check!

John
Old 27 February 2004, 01:25 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Simb2's quite correct. As long as you dont agree to a payment in "full & final" settlement, you can then negotiate the balance of the value.

There is no reason in the world to go to, or involve, solicitors if you're making a claim from your own insurers. The solicitors will only want paying, for achieving little or nothing, which your insurers will not pay, so it'll come out of your own pocket....
Old 01 March 2004, 01:00 AM
steve2k
Scooby Regular

cheers every1
Old 04 March 2004, 01:31 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

I've just done this last week. You verbally agree over the phone to an interim payment. When you receive the cheque the letter will say this is an interim payment. Don't expect to get anymore money out of them unless you get your own professional inspector to say it's worth more. Please let me know if you have any other ideas to get more cash as I haven't settled yet. i have tried and tried with documents and adverts etc. but nothing works. they will only accept a professional valuation.