Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilema !!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2004, 03:00 PM
scu-b
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dilema !!

Just got a Quote from my current insurers Direct Line !

25 year old, 3 yrs NCB, Garaged, Fully Comp on 1999 2000 T 4DR Saloon

£837.90 FC

£200 Excess

Is this good ?

I can get the insurance from L&V for £1120 and i can mod away to my hearts content !

Dont know which to take ??

Help.

Ben
Old 25 February 2004, 03:24 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Ben

Is this for a UK car?
Is it already modded?
If you're waivering over LV's figure, I take it that you will definitely be carrying out some mods during the next 12 months. If so can you give us an idea of what they might be?

Tentenths

NB Assuming it is a UK car, have you also tried confused.com (a multiple quote search engine) and/or elephant.co.uk
Old 25 February 2004, 03:33 PM
scu-b
Scooby Newbie

Default Mods ?

Tentenths,

It would be a UK car yes and no it is not yet been moded !

Yes also to carrying out the mods but they would be minor to start with ! New Rims and Lower Suspension thats about it ! ( I,ll say that now and end up spending 10k on it ! )

Ben.
Old 25 February 2004, 04:00 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

also bear in mind LV are ok about track days- a potentially massive saving!
Old 25 February 2004, 04:52 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Watch the excess with L&V i got a quote of £766.73 which was not the best quote i have had when i asked what the excesses where it was £500
Old 25 February 2004, 06:15 PM
scu-b
Scooby Newbie

Good point ! Didnt check that !

Thanks !
Old 25 February 2004, 06:20 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

i sopose the excess is only a problem if you have a crash or it gets nicked but i didnt want to have to pay £500 if the worst happend

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2004, 06:39 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scu-b
Tentenths,

It would be a UK car yes and no it is not yet been moded !

Yes also to carrying out the mods but they would be minor to start with ! New Rims and Lower Suspension thats about it ! ( I,ll say that now and end up spending 10k on it ! )

Ben.
OK, based on what you've said above and the 2 quotes you've got, my initial reaction would probably be to go for the Direct Line deal cos its £280 cheaper and the excess is probably lower, BUT:-

1) I'd suggest you speak to DL first about your proposed mods to gauge their reaction and gain an idea of likely extra costs (to ensure that these won't eat away the initial premium saving). As you're not doing engine/power mods I wouldn't have throught the additional costs will be too bad - but I don't work for DL so I could be terribly wrong

2) I haven't a clue what DL's attitude to trackdays is (I'm sure others on here will) - if you are planning to do one or more do make sure you check this point carefully. Many insurers do not/will not offer such cover. If DL are in this category, and you do trackdays you'll need to arrange separate cover each time. This could prove fairly costly, especially if you end up doing several (in which case going with LV from day one may be preferable).

But if you want max. flexibility from a modding and/or trackday perspective - and are prepared to pay a bit more for it - then Liv Vic could prove cheaper in the long run. But do check the LV excess (see Jasoon's post) and make sure you're happy with it. It may not be £500 (mine isn't) - LV don't seem to have a standard excess, it varies from one case to another.

One final point to consider is reputation. Like most other things in life, buying the cheapest simply because it is cheapest can often prove to be an expensive mistake. At the end of the day, if you are ever unfortunate enough to have to claim you don't want the added hassle of having an insurer that does everything possible to avoid/put off paying the claim. Fortunately, both insurers you're considering enjoy reasonable reputations with, in my opinion, Liv Vic having the edge.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tentenths; 25 February 2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 25 February 2004, 07:01 PM
scu-b
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up Thanks

Tentenths,

Thanks alot it is good to get some other opinions !

Still a Scooby Newbie but i have to say that everyone that i have spoken to has been so helpful !

Once again thanks !

Ben.
Old 25 February 2004, 07:29 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Coincidentaly just spoke with DL to notify them of some mods to my STi 3. Namely exhaust, induction kit, alloy wheels and brakes. I notice on the policy that track days are mentioned as NOT covered.

Those rather tame mods have increased the annual premium by £300. I was told the alloys contribute to hiking the premium as it makes the car more desirable to thieves and vandals.

I also mentioned proposed mods and was told that I would need to declare any increase in power as a result and they may refuse to insure me.

Current premium is £580
Old 25 February 2004, 07:46 PM
scu-b
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

If they would do the same sort of increase on my policy then i would still be level then with L&V the only difference being Track Days !

Thanks for the info !

Ben