Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting screwed by Insurance co- Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2004, 12:41 PM
Si of Sheff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting screwed by Insurance co- Please help!

Hi,

I hope someone on here is clued up on the insurance front as I think I'm about to egt shafted by my insurance co - who for now will remain nameless.

The fact is that I was involved in an accident on an untreated icy road back in December when I met a vectra coming the other way. The road is less than 2 cars wide with passing places but a sheet of ice meant neither of us could stop and we ended up wedged side by side between the banks.

We agreed afterwards, once we checked everyone was ok etc, that neither party was at fault as we were both still sliding when we collided. She, with her protected NCB, wanted to claim off her own insurance. Being 24 years old, my 4, nearly 5 years NCB and silly excess made me want not to claim, so we both sorted ourselves out, mine out of my now withered wallet.

I spoke to Insurance co last night who told me that as I was in an accident it would afftect my no CLAIMS bonus despite NOT CLAIMING - so I might as well claim. Both of us are actually insured with the same company so they are making me claim thus costing them more, rather than leaving me alone!

Is this true? I'd still rather have my NCB intact or renewal will be silly with just 2 years NCB left

Where do I stand guys - I'm sure I'm not the first in this situation.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Si
Old 03 February 2004, 02:21 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I would have thought your premium should get loaded for 50-50 fault accident, but your NCB should remain in tact. Suggest you try posting in the insurance section, Rum may be able to help.
Old 03 February 2004, 02:54 PM
Scooby_simon
Scooby Regular

You should get loaded for the 50/50. However you NCD should stay the same. Phone them back and ask to speak to the Underwriter / claims manager and explain the situation. My guess is you are speaking to a TFW clerk who does not understand the situation properly.

Last edited by Scooby_simon; 03 February 2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03 February 2004, 04:36 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I've just posted in another thread, my insurance company will possibly be knocking my no claims back this year from what should have been 4 years, to 1 year, (with the associated hike in insurance premium) in the event of a 50/50 settlement.
Old 04 February 2004, 06:21 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Unfortunately, any claim where there is a percentage split in costs will result in loss of Ncd.

simb
Old 05 February 2004, 01:40 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Provided that neither you OR the other driver make a claim against YOUR policy, imho there is no reason or grounds for your insurers to effect your policy, NCB or premium. It's as it's titaled - a No CLAIM Bonus. If no-one makes a claim its not effected. My guess is that as the other driver is insured with the same company they've obviously (rightly) told "their" insurers your details. The insurers have probably then opened a "claim file" on your policy - not strictly the correct thing to do as presumably they've received no claim agains your policy.

Two things come out of this. Firstly, as a person has 3 years (within the current legal requirements) to make a claim, your insurers can argue that they will keep their "claim file" open for the 3 years incase a claim is later made (by the other driver). They willl not close this just because you tell them to, and while it's open your bonus & premiums are effected. What may be the best thing to do is get the other driver to write to you saying that they will not be making a claim, and pass this to your insurer. Once they are "satisfied" no claim will be made, they should return your NCB to what it was and refund you any additional premium they have charged in the meantime. Secondly, to note, ANY percentage settlement / blame etc, be it 50/50 or 25/75 etc WILL effect you bonus in full - whether your insurers pay out £10 or £100,000, it doesnt matter.

Hope this helps.....