Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Companies What's The Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2003, 10:55 AM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the process of looking to buy an Impreza turbo Uk model and as such have been checking out insurance prices. At the moment Churchill seem to be the best, offering similar prices to Directline but not requiring the expensive tracker fitted. I personally have never had much time for insurance companies as for any reason they can possibly find they seem to want to milk a lot more cash out of you. I am used to the points (lost my licence for totting up speeding offences, cost me an absolute mint), age, where you live etc, etc, but I never thought that they would try and rip me off because of my occupation. I work in a chemical plant as a production supervisor (they actually give me some stupid title, but that is what I call myself!). Anyway on Churchill's website I could not find this from there job description section. So from the first pull down menu for the sector of work I work in I selected "Light Manufacturing" for my job description from the next pull down menu I selected "Industrial Plant Operator" as I could not find a supervisor. I went through the quote for a standard UK MY99 5 door turbo and was getting the following quotes, fully comp no no-claims protection £529.67 and fully comp protected no-claims £609.47. I thought this was a little expensive so I went back through the procedure of entering all my details and only changed my job title (left my job sector as "Light Manufacturing) to Manager (I know I'm not but stuff it!) the quote then came through as fully comp no no-claims protection £449.87 and fully comp with protected no-claims at £516.71. I have since tried this again with the exact same results to make sure I made no mistakes. So basically these scum bags will even rip you off cause of your job. I guess these people assume that all factory operators are thick plebs that are more liable to crash a car than a more qualified person. When I insured my other car through directline again I could not find my job description so I just put something in fairly near (on the internet) so I phoned them up as I was a little concerned about this and the operator on the end of the line said don't worry about it as job description does not really matter anyway. Obvioulsy it matters to Churchill as they seem to be robbing people with it. I personally will probably lie to them slightly as my true job title is not on there, I wouldn't bother phoning them up about it as they will probably increase all their prices to the higher price. Just an observation, boring I know but it p*sses me off! Other insurance companies are maybe not the same by the way as I have never bothered trying. Time these people took more notice of how many claims you have had, in my case none in my life.
Old 18 August 2003, 11:01 AM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

I know a lot of companies will put it up if your a student and I've had the odd one or two be more expensive when I've changed job titles to see the difference, but I've got a broad title for the IT role I've got now and I just stick with it.

Doesn't seem to make any difference if I change now, but it did when I was younger.
Old 18 August 2003, 11:16 AM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

I am 33 though, but I think it is terrible how they can possibly charge somebody as much as £100 pounds extra for their occupation. Never came across this, these cars are bad enough to insure as it is!
Old 18 August 2003, 11:49 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It's based on risk i.e. they probably view managers as more responsible drivers.

Old 18 August 2003, 12:01 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

they also work on

IF Job Description = IT
then
Quote = 2(Original Quote)

Old 18 August 2003, 12:37 PM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Yes I guess it is but considering where I work we have a sales manager who comes here offering service as we buy a lot of goods from his company and he has recently lost his licence for getting caught doing 135mph on the M6 in a scooby, he is a d*ck head though! So I guess the way these companies work out risk is just statistics, and if like me you are one of the good guys you are screwed. Just annoyed thats all as I have no time for insurance companies, I was considering an import WRX but the stupid prices they are coming up with makes it not a good buy espiacally when you consider they are pretty old cars (ones I was looking at). I suppose you could say its a power thing with Impreza's, however I looked into insuring a Toyota Celica GT4 ST205 (as I think they look awesome) the UK car is 239BHP the Jap car is 245BHP yet there is a very large difference in premiums just because it is an import. Had my twine anyway, not gonna change out is it!
Old 18 August 2003, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Regardless of the strange premium differences, I bet there are a few people on here looking at the premiums you were quoted with green eyes!

Les

Trending Topics

Old 18 August 2003, 06:24 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Agree with Les i'm also 33 and with churchill my MY00 uk scoob cost £519 fully comp and protected for me and wife which i thought was pretty reasonable can't see you getting it much cheaper than youv'e been quoted being over 30 does have a few advantages.