Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had An Accident And Driver Not Giving His Details

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2003, 10:45 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

The Police will be limnited to what they can do after the event. Basically, you would now have to 'prove beyond reasonable doubt' that he caused the accident.

If the Police can show that both cars were involved in the same incident i.e. paint transfer, what proof have you that he was at fault. You'll have to get him to confess that he was involved in the accident with you in the first place and then you have to prove that he caused it. What if he confesses, but simply says you ran into him?

Have you any witnesses?

I wouldn't recommend asking friends or family to 'become' witnesses as he might do the same thing and it'll get you nowhere. What you need is an independant witness that neither party knows.

Stefan
Old 06 May 2003, 11:33 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Other half and Mother in law were in the car with me at the time and he pulled out from a side turning on the left of the road onto the main road looking the oppsite way.

He also tried to drive off but because of others cars behind me he could get out of the turning and i managed to get out the car and catch him.

There were plenty of people that saw it happen as there was a bus stop opposite but didn't get any names at the time.

Mel.
Old 06 May 2003, 11:40 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well your missus and Mother-in-law is a good start. Ideally you'd want independant witnesses to give you a stronger case.

You could stick up a note on the Bus Shelter to ask for witnesses, but I doubt you'd get a response - it's worth a try though.

I'm not sure the Police are going to make too many enquiries for witnesses since no one was injured. I guess you'd need a serious accident for them to spend time/money investigating it.

You need to get advice from the Police on what you can do and then look into taking the other party to court if you want to persue it that far. You can usually get free advice for a solicitor and they'll advise you on how much of a case you have against him.

Good luck,
Stefan
Old 06 May 2003, 03:08 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers mate will do.
Old 06 May 2003, 04:33 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like hes done you over good an proper. Had a similar accident. End of the day its you're word against his. U need witnesses. If he's sold the car then it will be harder.
Old 06 May 2003, 06:54 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Mel, Did you take out legal protection with your insurance policy, if so give them a call, depending on the merits of the case they should be able to help you out.

simb
Old 07 May 2003, 08:35 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Fully protected NCB with Legal cover Simb, so i think i will give them a call and see what they can do for me.

Mel.
Old 07 May 2003, 11:10 AM
3times
Scooby Regular

Did he give you his home phone. If so, and you know someone that works for BT you may be able to get his address. Then pay him a visit!

Other than that I think you can get address details from the DVLA if the reason is genuine. It doesn't matter if he has sold the car as the new owner will know the date he bought it.
Old 08 May 2003, 01:44 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

I know it's a bit late now but I carry a desposible camera with me in case of such as incident occurring. That way I can take pictures of everything it site, cars people, reg numbers, roads etc.
Old 13 May 2003, 11:39 AM
crowt123
Scooby Regular

3times....i wouldn't bother with the "if you know somebody from bt", all transactions are recorded and if info like that was divulged, person would be sacked...bt are very strict with that.
Old 13 May 2003, 11:21 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

My advice based on much experience of being hit by uninsured/ uncooperative drivers....

*Since quite recently all insurers can access all other insurers databases to help reduce fraud. This also means your own ins. co. can tap in to their computer system the name and reg. no. that you got and see if this guy has an insurance policy in a second and who his insurers are. If he has a policy then start a claim with your insurers, who will contact his insurers and ask if an accident has been reported. This is the start of a long (and rocky without witnesses) road, but ultimately you may get full pay out with out making a claim of your own and without having to deal in person with this ****** again.

*If he has no insurance then there is a pool you can claim from which all insurance companies chip in to cover uninsured drivers. Unfortunately if no people are injured you will have to pay the first £270 but this is worth it in your case possibly? I think this means you don't have to lose you no claims bonus unlike a simple claim from your own policy.

*Try the police, expect to be told to bugger off they are not interested, but some forces have dedicated road accident teams who are specifically employed to chase up all these sort of things. Hertfordshire Police spent considerable time tracing an unregistered vehicle through its list of previous owners when all I had was basically a scratched bumper after getting hit - still fell at the last fence though and got diddly squat out of it Also without going off on too much of a tangent a friend from work reported an accident where another uninsured driver hit her and ended up being told that the Police would not bother persuing this one. In the meantime she was given a producer and because her license was in the post to the DVLA submitted for a name change after wedding - she got an official caution on record for not producing in 2 weeks. In summary, they police should help you but I don't think they will [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

*The fact you have this guy's name phone number etc that he gave you must be some sort of evidence - looking back it is worth getting them to write it down for you so at least you can later prove that the two of you met up and he gave you his details which would take some explaining on his behalf if he says he was never there but it is his writing - I only justthought of that one!

*Definately worth £6-7 on a disposable camera for the glove box.

*Unfortunately the lies and irrational **** that people come out with when they have had time to think about ways to get out of the situation begger belief. Luckily most of them are stupid and the insurance companies can spot a tall story.

One guy recently hit me in a car park at work, luckily a sfaety inspetion of the area was going on and as witnesses I have 10 high ranking union, fire, security and medical staff as witnesses. Also the security guards have a video tape of the accident where this guy looks at my Scoob he has just hit, turns his nose up, and reverses straight into an Audi behind us before buggereing off. He still claims it was nothing to do with him and the insurance claim is busting my *****.

GOOD LUCK!!

[Edited by Boost II - 5/15/2003 10:05:27 AM]
Old 15 May 2003, 10:49 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Boost II,

I do have the piece of paper which he wrote down his detail on, I think i will send a copy to my insurance company.

Thing that gets me is how these c***s get away with it.

Mel.
Old 16 May 2003, 11:35 PM
GraemeF
Scooby Regular

MelTypeR

PM me with the reg details and I can sort the correct info out for you.

[Edited by GraemeF - 5/16/2003 11:36:24 PM]
Old 17 May 2003, 04:43 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

If the matter has been reported to the police, they can tell you if the vehicle has a policy of insurance covering third party risks. The PNC (police national computer) now has a facility contained in the record of each marque held by DVLA as to whether the car has a policy or not.

Personally, I would say the little ****** is not insured so the best you can hope for is the Uninsured Drivers Compensation Bureau. Citizens Advice can help you with getting a claim submitted.

All the best
Old 19 May 2003, 02:31 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Graeme will get it tonight as i'm at work at the mo and mail you tomorrow..

Mel.
Old 05 June 2003, 10:17 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

Had a minor RTA a few of saturdays ago with a XR2I of which the driver was male 18 year old.

He pulled out on me and caught the back of my car on the rear quarter panel while trying to come out of a turning. The damage wasn't much and nobody was hurt, so i got some details off him on the day (Name,Car reg,phone number,address)but didn't report it to the police.
He said he was only TPFT and hadn't been driving long and would prefer to settle out of insurance.

So me being the soft type and saying i also knew what it was like to have a knock when i was young i understood why he wanted to pay for it himself.

So i got a quote from Spray shop on the monday and rang him up to give him the cost. Roughly around £680. He said that he couldn't afford it and would prefer to go through his insurance instead, but to call him back later as he was at work.

Anyway forgot to call him that night and spoke to him on the tuesday only for him to turnaround and say that he has sold the car and the details he gave me were false.
I have since reported it to the police who of which haven't come back to me yet, saying there powers are limited.

Where do i stand on this as he couldn't have given me wrong details as the first thing he would of given as false would of been his phone number.

Is there any way that i can get his address or the registered owners address from the Reg no.

Dont wont to ring my insurance as i dont want to have to fork out £500 excess for a £700 job even though it wasn't my fault.

[Edited by MelTypeR - 5/6/2003 10:19:41 AM]