Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a strut brace - Elephant say it is "unacceptable"

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2003, 05:45 PM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Was thinking of getting one of TSL's strut braces for my STi8.
Thought I had better check with my insurers, Elephant, just to make sure it was OK. They came back to me saying it was an unacceptable modification - along with window tinting using film.

Is this normal for Elephant or other insurers? I have asked them to send me a list of what else they deem to be unacceptable!!

Peter
Old 03 May 2003, 10:09 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

That sounds plain stupid - obviously they dont like any mods at all
Old 07 May 2003, 03:51 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I'm told that some insurance companies consider that braces increase the chance of the car being written off in a "minor knock", as there is more chance of the chassis deforming.

Given that there is substantial debate whether or not braces help handling, I would venture the opinion that there could be a similar debate about braces in the event of a minor knock.
Old 15 May 2003, 12:49 AM
hurricane
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened with my Mum's MX-5. I told them the car was to have strut braces fitted and they refused to insure it on the basis that it "enhanced the cornering capacity of the vehicle". **** 'em, went with AON instead who don't care about mods. I couldn't believe they wouldn't even quote for the car with £60 worth of strut braces being the only mods. And yet other people I know have modded cars with Elephant.
Old 15 May 2003, 04:47 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
phone them again.

I emailed them about PPP for my STi7 and was told on several occasions NO.

SO, I kept emailing them every 2-3 days asking to be covered and then they said YES, and I now have it listed on my policy documents :-)
Old 22 May 2003, 11:44 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Elephant did exactly the same to me when I asked for a quote.They were ok with a bunch of other mods, but when I mentioned the strut brace they told me to forget it, they wouldnt quote. As I was desperate for insurance at the time, I offered to take it off but because Id told them about it they siad they would never insure that car and had taken a note of the fact against its registration.

During a very frustrating day of talking to morons trying to insure a 93 WRX worth 50p ffs, that was the most laughable comment and one thats cost them some business as I tend to mention it to other performance car owners when talking insurance.

L+V on the other hand were a dream to deal with by comparison and Im insured with them fully comp, protected NCD, business use, tonnes of mods etc etc for £550, me 33, full NCD, safe postcode.

Moral: BE CAREFUL USING ELEPHANT (or dont bother)! Their 'understanding' of risk leaves something to be desired!