Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO I HAVE TO TELL MY INSURER THAT I HAD AN ACCIDENT IN A COMPANY CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2002, 12:27 AM
scoobz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all

I recently had an accident in a company car that involved no other car. I am now applying for my own insurance and am wondering if it is classed as a claim by me as it was not me who claimed and my name was never mentioned as the company has blanket insurance?

Please help

scoobz
Old 07 November 2002, 12:31 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

This was recently a topical issue in the police force, where officers having had accidents in works cars were asked to let their own provate insurers know about accidents - blameworthy or otherwise.

I spoke to my insurers - Norwich Union, and they told me that any accidents I had in works' time were none of their business and they didn't want to know.

Personally, I would contact my insurace company and give them a "What if..." question.
Old 07 November 2002, 02:10 AM
stu200
Scooby Regular

You will note, however, that you are always asked "have you had any accidents, claims or convictions" by your insurers.

NU's response to BuRR could be very specific to his circumstances.

Failure to disclose an accident to an insurer will result in your policy being invalidated, and they do cross check information.
Old 07 November 2002, 10:04 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I wrote off a car whilst driving under someone elses insurance and I have to declare the accident to my own insurers - kept my no claims bonus though.
Old 07 November 2002, 11:24 AM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Some years ago i tapped another car in one of our company cars. I personally dont think it has anything to do with your own insurance company. The repair costs arent being paid by them are they.?
Insurance is such a damn rip off anyway you dont want to give them any reason to increase your premium

Before anyone starts, this is MY opinion only
Old 07 November 2002, 11:07 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

ummmmm...interesting one...and a few varied comments...

Basically if you are asked whether you have had ANY accidents or incidents in the last "x" years then you should advise the insurer!

There is now a national database (C.U.E) which all insurers share information about claims...

Your driving experience (with or without claims/incidents) plays quite a large part in how insurers underwrite your policies...

You could easily have 5 years No Claims Discount in your own right....on your "main" car...and you could equally have had 5 accidents (maybe eveen all fault!!!) in the wifes car...or the girlfriends car...or the company car or whatever....would you expect the insurance company to disregard these????? They would apply a loading within the working of the quote....and then....right at the end....they would still apply for no claims discount...and if applicable apply "protection"...

In my opinion its a material fact that you advise them of ALL incidents! Don't give them the opportunity to VOID your policy for non disclosure!

As far as NU is concerned....I'm not convinced with what has been stated above....don't get me wrong, I believe that you have been told what you have quoted....I'm just not convinced that that is correct...

Rum*
Old 08 November 2002, 12:02 AM
scoobz
Scooby Newbie

hi again

thank you all for your responses. My question was answered today by "what car" insuerance who said that thats company car insurance and as Im not the primary driver and only a named driver (on the policy im currently enquiring about) that it did not affect the policy, however if I was to get a quote for myself I would have to state any "accidents" (not claims) if asked. Im not trying to cheat the system I just want to know is it a claim against me even if I have not made a claim for damages in person but the company I work for has claimed for damages to their car?

Rum

thanks very much for your help, I shall be calling your company 2morrow for a competitive claim, and yes until someone tells me catagoricly different I shall be stating that I had an accident in a company car.

Old 08 November 2002, 08:40 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

You should answer all the questions you are asked honestly & completely.

If you want to lie or leave out details then it's a balance of risk that you'll get caught versus the money that you might save.

If you name was never mentioned on the claim and you're absolutely sure about that, then you might consider the risk to be zero and therefore the balance is worth it.........

However, it has to be your decision - advice recived here will do you no good if you need to make a claim and the insurance company can prove you either lied or withheld information and void your policy.
Old 09 November 2002, 02:22 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

You said your name wasn't used for the details? Does this mean it was never mentioned for the claim - in which case no need to declare. However, if there's the faintist hint of your name involved you will need to declare it, as the last thing you want to do is have an invalid policy when you really need to use it!!!
Old 16 December 2015, 03:10 PM
Laura79
Scooby Newbie

Hiya

Could someone advise me of the following; I had business van insurance in 2013 and my driver had an accident, I was told by my personal car insurance that this is not relevant to my insurance but now they have changed their minds and want me to pay £175 on top of my insurance in one payment otherwise they will cancel???
Old 16 December 2015, 09:29 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
We would always recommend you advise your insurer of an instance like this.
Whether they actually load for the incident would be down to each individual insurer.
I would expect most insurers to actually try and underwrite this risk on its own merits though. If one of your drivers had an accident is it more likely that you would claim on your own car insurance? Probably not.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 16 December 2015, 10:17 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Laura79
Hiya

Could someone advise me of the following; I had business van insurance in 2013 and my driver had an accident, I was told by my personal car insurance that this is not relevant to my insurance but now they have changed their minds and want me to pay £175 on top of my insurance in one payment otherwise they will cancel???
You joined a subaru forum and your fisrt post is bumping up a post from 2002 lol