Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STi insurance shock (in a good way)

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2014, 11:17 AM
Animal Mother
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STi insurance shock (in a good way)

Before we commit to buying an STi blob, we thought (wife and I) would check that the insurance would not be a hindrance. It wasn't!

£315 for both of us (I'm named driver) Fully Comp with windscreen, personal injury and legal cover and a hire car.

Now we just need to see if she can actually manage to drive one!
Old 18 October 2014, 04:14 PM
walsallboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whos That with ?
Old 18 October 2014, 06:32 PM
Animal Mother
Scooby Regular

...or £337 with £0 voluntary excess and protected no claims.

Originally Posted by walsallboy
Whos That with ?
1st Central via Money Supermarket.
Old 18 October 2014, 09:57 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the compulsory excess though, and ring 1st Central to confirm the quote before you buy the car, as often these comparison sites don't give the actual price.

Last edited by Moley; 18 October 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 18 October 2014, 10:14 PM
Animal Mother
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Check the compulsory excess though, and ring 1st Central to confirm the quote before you buy the car, as often these comparison sites don't give the actual price.
£150 compulsory.

There's quite a few companies offering less than £350 so it'll be about right.
Old 18 October 2014, 10:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Animal Mother
There's quite a few companies offering less than £350 so it'll be about right.
....... Is what I hear all day, followed by a phone call a few hours later saying "oh yeah, the price went up when I went to pay for the policy."

This isn't the case all the time, and the increases don't tend to be huge, but it's always best to make a phone call just to check its all ok
Old 18 October 2014, 11:58 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Animal Mother
Before we commit to buying an STi blob, we thought (wife and I) would check that the insurance would not be a hindrance. It wasn't!

£315 for both of us (I'm named driver) Fully Comp with windscreen, personal injury and legal cover and a hire car.

Now we just need to see if she can actually manage to drive one!
Wish my insurance was that cheap! I pay £900 for a bug WRX wagon!
Old 19 October 2014, 06:53 AM
mtb_ed
Scooby Regular

Don't do it. They are the worst company I have dealt with regarding insurance.

I recently had my renewal, but as 2 weeks before the due date some moron had crashed into the back of my family wagon whilst I was stationary at a junction. So as an unsettled claim a lot of companies wouldn't even give me a quote.

So I had no choice but to stay with them. So an hour on the phone I went through all the required details. As I had a letter from my solicitor and Direct line saying the third party had accepted liability for the recent accident I declared it as a non fault incident and unsettled. The sales representative advised me I was correct.

7 days after the policy had started I got an email saying that I had given incorrect information and on the insurance database it was down as fault claim. Followed by a policy increase of £168! I rang several times and went through the details and they just said I had to pay until the claim was settled! even tho I declared at quotation as unsettled.

I asked them "If the police pulled me over because they're database shows I have no insurance and I show them my proof of insurance. Do I still get arrested for driving with no insurance as the database isn't always correct." Absolute no difference to what was happening with my proof.

I have spent in excess of £50 in phones calls going through this and they would not even accept the letters from either the solicitor or direct line as evidence. I rang several major insurance companies who all said they were not compiling to required legislation.

So I sent the Insurance Ombudsman a letter of compliant and cc the complaints department of 1st Central. I then rang the complaints department and suddenly they seemed interest to what I had to say. They then went throughout the 5hr plus phone calls and found the following.

1. I gave the correct information as non fault as I had proof of accepted liability.
2. The Sales representative should not be advising.
3. The evidence should have been accepted.
4. I should not have had to pay the money, had to else they have cancelled my insurance.
5. I will get a refund within 5-7 working days. It's been 12 working days and still no money. So chase up time.

All I can say if that's how they are when buying a policy imagine having to make a claim!!!

During this I rang A Plan to which they beat the quote but I couldn't cancel with 1st Central even during the 14 day cool off as they're charges to leave are horrendous. It was going to cost me £275 of a £456 policy to leave after 12 days.

Last edited by mtb_ed; 19 October 2014 at 06:58 AM.