Getting started

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2013, 07:30 AM
LordG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting started

hi all,

I need some help/guidance in planning my complete car install.

I recently posted a thread asking to see you Double-Din installs (Thanks for those that shared) - this gave me some good ideas!

NOW, I want to start planning the complete install, but I am a complete noob at this. However, I do want to do the install myself (with my lads), so I am looking for some help/guidance.

Here is what I think I want at the moment, and I have a budget of £800 (is this realistic):

My car: 2004 Impreza WRX STI WR1

Definitely:
  • Double Din
  • ipod connection
  • DVD
  • new speakers
  • Amp
  • scalability to possibly to add other stuff in the future

Nice to have:
  • Sat Nav
  • CD player

What I need help with:
  • I know nothing about designing a complete system
  • I know nothing about Amps
  • I really like the Alpine kit, but have no idea of what is compatible with what

Can anyone help in either advice on here, over the phone, or recommend a good BASIC introduction guide to planning a car system?

If you were spending £800 on a complete new systems, then what would you buy?

... I hope you get the idea - it is possible to spend £1000's and still not have a good sound. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Neil
Old 20 August 2013, 07:25 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Here's all the advice you'll ever need regarding 'ICE' in a WR1:

You've bought a rally developed limited edition car, produced to celebrate Petter Solberg winning the 2003 World Rally Championship and (allegedly) the most powerful and fastest Impreza ever made for official sale in the UK at the time. Its originality will be its guarantee of its future valve.

If it already has a radio, that's fine. If not, it doesn't need one. Anything else is just unnecessary ballast which will reduce the performance for no positive benefit.

Unless you aspire to turn it into this, of course:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=300157

In which case, you could have bought a non-turbo version and saved yourself a stack of money.

My Type 20 had some kind of amusement arcade illuminated gramaphone appendage on its dashboard. Fortunately, I was able to remove its front and I keep it in the folder with the service history in my house.

ICE is provided by the right hand pedal under my foot and the long stainless steel tube assembly manufactured by Milltek which runs front to back beneath the car.

If you have £1000s to spend, a nice new record player for your house will be a much more worthwhile investment.

There, that was easy, wasn't it, and now your post is back on view, perhaps you'll get a sensible answer to it as well!

(PS. I'm really sorry, I just couldn't resist this. I hope you take this in the spirit of fun in which I intend it, and no offence meant. The radio in my van only works if I leave it sticking out of the dashboard by an inch, so I'm clearly well up on ICE....)
Old 20 August 2013, 09:21 PM
LordG
Scooby Regular

LOL - no offense taken.

This car is for me at the weekend and car for me and my boys to add our touches too. So, they wanted to learn how to install and configure a car system - hence the question above.

:-)