ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MP3 Bass Fq Cut

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2012, 12:37 PM
Hellbilly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 Bass Fq Cut

Been playing about with my half finished install and very happy with the sound when listening to CD or Radio.

However, when I Bluetoothed my Galaxy S2 to the head and played some MP3 songs, I was less impressed. No matter how much I gain I dialed into the Sub, I couldnt get those real deep frequencies.

I am assuming that this is an MP3 issue; Fq 'clipping' as part of the compression process? I notice that my phones' EQ only goes down to 125 Hz.

Is there a way of reclaiming these lost low Fq?

Is it possible to rip CDs to MP3 and choose the clipping Fqs?
Old 18 August 2012, 12:41 PM
Hellbilly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh... And are there any other formats which offer compression AND audio quality?
Old 18 August 2012, 12:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Try plugging your s3 into unit with a lead and turn eq off on phone, as the sound quality will play through unit.
Old 18 August 2012, 02:23 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Hellbilly
Been playing about with my half finished install and very happy with the sound when listening to CD or Radio.

However, when I Bluetoothed my Galaxy S2 to the head and played some MP3 songs, I was less impressed. No matter how much I gain I dialed into the Sub, I couldnt get those real deep frequencies.

I am assuming that this is an MP3 issue; Fq 'clipping' as part of the compression process? I notice that my phones' EQ only goes down to 125 Hz.

Is there a way of reclaiming these lost low Fq?

Is it possible to rip CDs to MP3 and choose the clipping Fqs?
i have the same thing happening , on my S2 and last phone (Blackberry) I think it my just be the Bluetooth conection as cd and radio are fine. I give up adjusting , on sterio , amp , and phone . So frustrating i just put up with it.
Old 20 August 2012, 05:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bluetooth streamed audio is usually not brilliant audio quality (and I'm putting that nicely, marginally better than listening to a worn out cassette tape )...you will get better audio quality from MP3s if its played via a USB input instead.

I wouldn't use a headphone jack type connection to a head unit either for similar reasons (better than bluetooth, but volume/EQ settings as well as background hiss aren't favourable).

If its a MP3 problem then it will then become obvious when played via USB. Thats assuming the head unit can play it directly via USB. An MP3's quality of both high and low freqencies is down to the bit rate and bandwidth.

Anything below 192kbps and a 41000khz sampling rate will give poor quality not worth listening to IMHO. using variable bit rate (VBR) also impairs quality, especially if its set too high. All my Mp3 collection is 320Kbps minimum with no VBR.

However I've now moved over AAC set at 320kbps and 44100khz these days for the portable stuff and Apple Lossless on the home computer. My car head unit plays music via a 64gig memory stick...can't be arsed faffing with the phone, I just use the bluetooth for the handsfree.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 August 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 20 August 2012, 07:43 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MP3 doesn't have a specific bass cut.
As said above, it's much more likely to be a problem with the bluetooth transmission.