Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Fitting 3 way speakers in Imprezas?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2012, 04:56 PM
shorty87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting 3 way speakers in Imprezas?

Is fitting 3 way component speakers possible in an Impreza as front speakers?
Old 09 May 2012, 12:07 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

I got 3-way 6" Soundstreams fitted in front of my Impreza WRX 2002 with spacers because the magnets on those things are huge!
Old 09 May 2012, 12:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine has three-way speakers front and rear, but they aren't component.
They are Sony and needed mdf spacers made for both.

The fronts are 18mm spacers, paintyed and not seen when the door-card is on, the rears are again 18mm, covered with carpet to match the rear shelf.
Old 13 May 2012, 02:05 AM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything is possible, but you'll struggle with mid locations. Put the mids in the doors and you may as well not have bothered, and finding space for them arounds the sail panels or a-pillars may prove hard.

I'd be looking at some nice custom fabrication around the base of the a-pillars, with sealed back dome mids for them most mounting versatility.

What model of speakers were you looking at? Passive or active?
Old 13 May 2012, 07:15 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at selling my setup soon, cts front components with front magnets (£300+ new) and a Jl audio 4 channel amp and 12' boxed sub. All currently fitted in my bugeye, and I'm just down the road if you want a listen.
Old 16 May 2012, 11:01 PM
shanew
Scooby Regular

by 3 way he means a 3 speaker setup, so mention of spacers is pointless.
Im not sure it can be done practicaly. I've got a hawkeye and have been trying to work out the same thing. I expect you'll be wanting to use an 8" mid bass and I can see no way of mounting one. Door builds would be to intrusive due to the shallow space between the door card and window glass and again with mounting it in the foot well would be very intrusive. The only way i can see would be to make a small pod to house the 8" and locate it under the front seats, the standard door locations are not very good either, these would be better with door builds to angle the 6.5" driver slightly and a-pilar mounts for the tweeters to lift the sound stage. the clock pod in the centre of the dash is ideal for mounting a 2way driver if your wanting to go for a centre speaker. Personally I dont think putting the 8" under the seat will do anything for the sound quality
Old 17 May 2012, 10:35 AM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8's under the seats arre fine if they're crossed over really low, like 300Hz or lower. But then you need mid drivers tha can run that low and still sound full bodied - Something like DLS or HAT 3-4" Cone mids would work. Problem is ,they need enclosures of 1-2 litres so you're talking serious dash work to get them installed.

If I were trying it I'd go 6.5" speakers in the doors, 3" Dome mids and 1" tweeters mounted together in a pod down by the base of the A-pillars, for SQ. You'd need a sub too, obviously.

Having had a poke around the impreza dash, I think it's a big ask without major fabrication work, so I'm sticking to tweeters on A pillars and 6.5's in the doors with a bit of aim. Should't be too inttrusive ,there's lots of space down at the front corners of the doors.